Help my tortoise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Karen81_*

Guest_Karen81_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:53 PM

Hi there
New to the site, I am really concerned about my hermann tortoise hes behaving strange sleeping alot and not really eating have tried giving him lots of different foods but hes just not interested. any ideas of whats wrong will be grateful,

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 12:26 AM

Hi Karen

can you tell us a bit about how you keep him - such as how warm is the hottest place and if you use lamps to keep him warm and active etc.

Lots of tortoises are slowing down a bit just now, because they know winter is coming even if we keep them indoors.

It might be a problem and it might not. Do you know how old he is?

#3 Guest_Dawn_*

Guest_Dawn_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:51 AM

You don't say how long you've had tort either...it could be just that he's settling in if he's new, but I suspect like Jon has already said that it is just his natural instinct kicking in preparing for hibernation. If you are going to overwinter him, then you will need to keep your heat and lights on for 12 hours a day, with a basking area of 30 - 35 degrees and a cooler area of 20 - 25 degrees in order to try and keep him awake. I've never overwintered a tort as I always hibernate, but I understand it is quite hard to keep them going (and stressful as I'm sure Paula will tell you! wink.gif )

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:14 AM

Hi There,
If your tortoise hasn't eaten in over a week the likelihood is that it is slowing down for hibernation. Once this process has started it is very hard to reverse. Personally, I can't see any reason not to hibernate a tortoise if it is healthy and a good weight. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users