gammy eye.... again

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

I guess i may have to rethink my setup at some point. They will have a secure run , with a glass cold frame they can crawl under. Also they have a guineapig style little house they can crawl up into. This will be fine through the summer, but i have no heating / lighting setup Maybe a bigger house with some heating in it will be better.
As i said i can always bring them in to there table at night specially whilst they are small, i just didnt want to confuse thier wind down at the end of summer!
So Paula i guess yours are winding down now?

#22 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:51 AM

Hi Mark

A lot depends on where you live and what the weather is like. Here in Kent we do have quite warmish weather, and my hatchlings and younger tortoises live outside without any extra heat from May until late September or October. They have coldframes (glass) raised off the ground with either a couple of bricks high or brieze blocks, depending on the size of the tortoises. This way they can come and go as they please. Sometimes sleeping outside under a curved roof tile or the like. I always check where they are, and that they are safe.

The first picture is where I keep, torts from 3 upwards.

The second picture is where I keep hatchlings and up to two year olds.

Adults I keep in a greenhouse where they have acsses all year round, and have heat from coming out of hibernation until around May, then they have no extra heat again until around September. They only have extra heat if we have four days in a row of really cold weather. I have a second GH where I house smaller tortoises from getting up from hibernation until the good weather arrives.

#23 Guest_markf_*

Guest_markf_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:57 PM

Yes Sandy i remember those pics now. Very nice homes. Mine is similar to the top set up. I think from talking to you, paula and others, what we are lacking is something like paulas heated shed and your heated greenhouse for the colder weather. maybe we will have to add something on!

#24 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2010 - 04:28 PM

If you have electrics in your garden, then you can raise glass coldframes higher, so they can take some sort of heat/lamp sorce.
If you have a GH eventually you can let them dig down in the soil to hibernate them too:0)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users