Tortoise not drinking

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MickyTort_*

Guest_MickyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:17 AM

Hey tort owners!
It has been a week or so since I have posted much on this forum.

Neville, is doing fine!
He has overcome his 'i want to get out of this enclosure' routine.

However I have 2 problems.
Firstly his bathing. I have bathed him once a day for 20minutes every day that he has been with me. The first week he had a wee, and was drinking quite alot of the water. (head bobbing proved this). For the past 5/6days this has not been happening. He doesn't wee, doesn't drink and just places his head into his shell to hide away!?!? Anyone care to make me feel slightly more comfortable?

Secondly is the weighing. A lot is said about the important of weighing tortoises regularly. What type of scale should I be using here? Does anyone have a particular model or weighing item that is most suitable. I really need to weigh him to make sure he is growing accordingly.

Thank you for reading.
MickyTort

#2 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hi MickyTort

I use normal digital kitchen scales for weighing. I got a Salter set off e-bay for a couple of quid secondhand and weigh him every week.
I'm a new owner my self so I'm sure somebody else will be able to offer better advise about the drinking, but I bathe my tortoise everyday in luke warm water for around 15 minutes and I can't always see him drinking. I have the water bowl under the lamp to keep him warm.
Maybe the waters too cold for your tort ? Also maybe he was de-hydrated when you first got him and so needed to drink more ?
As I said, I'm sure somebody else will offer better advise than me on this.

Regards

Robert

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:55 PM

I also use digital scales in grms. And weigh once a month for a more accurate pattern of weigh gain.
As for tortoises drinking, I find if I use rain water in their dish of water in their enclosure, I see them drinking regularly. Just recently I have bathed them (every day) and then put them back into their enclosure. They then go straight to their water dish and drink:0)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users