Impacted Gut

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 09:04 PM

I was reading a recent post where it spoke of torty eating substrate and it was said this can cause an impacted gut. Is there a way of 'curing' this? Would lots of baths help or is there a far more technical treatment?

Hettie ate stones for a couple of days when she first went into her new enclosure. She did pass some but I do wonder whether any remained inside her. I suppose the only way to tell would be an xray. It's nearly wind down time and I think I'm having a little worry about everything!

Paula x

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:03 PM

Hi Paula,
As long as Hettie is relieving herself regularly, I don't think you need worry about an impacted gut. In the wild tortoises eat small calcium containing stones( spread throughout their natural habitat) which are easier to break down than the small harder stones we find here in the U.K. so this could be an instinctive reaction on Hettie's part. I would remove any small stones from her enclosure and place some cuttlefish bone down instead. You could also grate some in fine powder form on her food. This may help remove her need for eating small stones. Also, I would place her food on some slate to prevent her from ingesting soil. Knowing your careful ways Paula, you are probably already doing this. So all you can do is just take precautions and keep an eye on her from time to time. I know it can be a worrying time for you Paula but Hettie has been around along time now and will probably be around for along time to come though I understand she has her own little health issues that you need to keep a careful eye on. Anyway, I hope my post offers you some re-assurance and solace. Try not to worry and take care Paula. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

Thanks Freddy,

She only did this for a couple of days and as you say eats from a slate, I was a bit concerned as she isn't passing much... but then she isnt eating much, so I hope I am right in putting it down to that.

Paula x

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2010 - 10:20 PM

Hi Paula,
She would only eat stones that were small enough to swallow and if they're small enough to swallow they would be small enough to pass from her body. I think your right she's probably not passing much because she isn't eating much. So, try not to worry. Take care Paula. Talk soon. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 09:38 AM

What these things dont say Paula, is that it is not common for this to happen, but it can. So it can put you in a panic. If you stop and think, buying a tortoise from a petshop can be bad as is said, but you can get a healthy tortoise too. But you have to be aware, just in case your tortoise shows syptoms etc.
Impaction is more common with sand, and you can use liquid petroleum to help clear blockages if it does happen. I have never actually heard of an impacted tortoise in over 30yrs:0) but that does not mean it does not happen, but I have been in groups and on the net a very very long time, and never heard of it happen.

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for your reassurance guys! smile.gif

Hettie was fine with an 8 week hibernation last year, and has had no major problems this year, it's just that she is so different from the other two.
She has never been lively, but has been ok'd by the vet, I just worry about her. wub.gif

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users