flies!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

Hi

I got home tonight to find little tiny flies flying around Shelby's table. They don't seem interested in her luckily but they can't be very nice for her.

I thought maybe it was because the soil needs changing although it doesn't smell at all.

Any ideas? Has anyone else had this problem?

Will change the top layer of soil tomorrow and see if that helps!

Jo

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:58 PM

Hi Jo,

Have you planted anything new?

When I planted a couple of petunias in the little guys outside enclosure I found them to have blackfly. I pulled out the plants after a couple of weeks and realising they weren't going to go on their own. :rolleyes: I still have some blackflys alive in the shed but nothing too bad, I am hoping when the little guys have their big sleep I can let the cold kill them off? I shall be removing the top couple of inches of topsoil and wondered if there was a torty safe spray? I look forward to reading others replies too!

Paula x

#3 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

I sowed some seeds in a little container in the table but no new plants! The viola I had planted has died :( So no plants in there at the moment.

#4 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 07:55 PM

what bedding are you using if any.some dried grasses or hemp when damp can produce tiny black flies as if by magic.
terry

#5 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2010 - 08:40 PM

no bedding, only topsoil! thanks anyway ;)

#6 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:50 AM

Have changed a lot of the soil and remodelled (!) her home! She is having a good explore but the flies are still there. My husband thinks they are just attracted to the heat, there are about 4 or 5 of them, about 4mm long I reckon.

Still not interested in Shelby herself, just flying around and landing on the soil. So I guess they aren't really a problem unless they start landing on her?

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:13 AM

Hi Mrs G,
Be careful. Flies can lay Larvae. And torts can pick up worms from this. You will need to keep the enclosure free from tort droppings and clean it regularly. Maybe replace the topsoil too. Also, have you thought of hanging fly paper ???
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#8 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:02 PM

My husband has been squatting as many as he can today :P Will be getting fly paper tomorrow! Thanks Freddy :)

#9 Guest_N.Willan_*

Guest_N.Willan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:12 PM

could it be they are just being attracted to the bright light rather than a smell?

#10 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

When I had the eggs in the incubator there was a few tiny tiny little black flies in there on the odd occasion.

I think they must have come out of the bits of dirt that were still on the eggs, as the eggs were in vermiculite. So there wasn't anything else they could have come out of. They weren't like blue bottle flies, or household flies or anything like that. Just minute little flies.

Gail
xx

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

Flies that come out of the soil usually come out of larvae that was laid there by adult flies. Minute flies grow in to adult flies that lay larvae and thus the cycle begins again. This is why it is important to remove tortoise droppings as this is often where flies deposit their larvae. Food and water can also be contaminated and torts can ingest the larvae. This can result in worms. Also torts can pick up the larvae on their feet and carry it on to their food or in to their water and the same thing happens again. That is why it's so important to remove tort droppings and regularly clean enclosures. Also replace topsoil too.

Regards

Freddy

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:35 PM

Hi Jo,

I waited for the little guys to go into the fridge, left the doors to the shed and greenhouse open through all the freezing weather we had and still the flies didnt die!

I have now removed all the soil from the beds in the shed and taken about 4 inches from the top of the greenhouse soil, thrown away all my plants.. :unsure: in an attempt to get rid of them once and for all.

I read this;
http://en.allexperts...black-flies.htm
and think this is what I have/had (hopefully).

I shall wait until next weekend and see if there are any still about before trying potatoes, apparently there is something in them that attracts the flies, you slice them and leave for a couple of days before replacing them??? The larvae is thrown away with the potato... a cunning plan, will let you know how it goes! :rolleyes:

Paula x

#13 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Hello, Im no expert in flies but if they are too small to swat could you not suck them up using the long tube on the hoover? Just an idea to get rid of them. Good luck John :huh:

#14 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

Hi John,

I now think the flies are actually fungus gnats, in the last week the 'flies' have dropped hugely in numbers, today I only found 6. They only live for 5 days but lay larvae which would probably not be visable, so the next step is to try and use the potoatoes... apparently they lay larvae on the moist potato and so by changing them every couple of days they should eventually vanish? Well thats the plan!! :rolleyes: No pressure but only a couple of weeks until the little guys will be getting up! Fingers crossed!!

Paula x

#15 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:20 PM

i hope you are not going to eat thoose tatties afterwords paula???

#16 Guest_MrsG_*

Guest_MrsG_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

Hey! how are you potatoes going Paula? I am pleased to say that after a complete clean out of Shelby's table all the flies have gone...touch wood!! She has been quite funny lately, she now digs under the log bridge each night to sleep! you can hardly see her she digs in so far!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users