Size of hibernation box

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_porkchop_71_*

Guest_porkchop_71_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:43 PM

Hi all

Well i have moved my fridge into my living room now and it is now running quietly with normal temps. The problem i am having is that the top shelf is always about 4 degrees different to the bottom shelf (it is an husky beer fridge) I was planning on the boys having a box each on different shelves. I have now decided to just have them on the one shelf. I have a box each for them that measures 16.5cm wide, 27cm long and 20 cm deep, the boys are 14.5cm long and about 10cm wide, would these boxes be too small? they fit perfectly on the shelf, or would it be better to have them both in one box that is 33cm wide?

Rachel

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:11 PM

Hi Rachel,
Glad to hear you've sorted out the fridge problem. I'm sure you're relieved. I would place the tortoises in separate boxes. As when confined together in one box tortoises can often injure one another. Best of luck with hibernation.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_porkchop_71_*

Guest_porkchop_71_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:21 AM

Hi Freddy

Yes I think it would be better too, I'm just a bit unsure if the sizes of the boxes would be ok i know they shouldnt move about too much so hopefully they will have enough room. They are cardboard boxes and i have put air holes in all sides of the boxes as the top of the box is touching the top of the fridge, do you think opening the fridge for 1 minute twice a day would be ok?
Rachel

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 01:16 AM

Hi Rachel,
Of course it would be better if their individual boxes were slightly bigger but once in hibernation they do tend to only shuffle round a little. Opening the fridge for 1 minute twice a day also sounds like a good idea as this would allow some air to circulate, also the air holes sound fine. I think you have done a great job winding them down Rachel. For now, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you enjoy your holidays.
Kind Regards
Freddy
P.S You will also find a useful guide to hibernation using the fridge method by clicking on the 'Hibernation' link at the top of your screen. Hope this helps. Take care.

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:22 PM

Hi rachel
Best of luck with hibernation,hope all runs smoothly!
Jay

#6 Guest_porkchop_71_*

Guest_porkchop_71_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 09:41 PM

Thanks Jay

Fingers crossed, cant wait until March!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users