Poor egg bound Cola

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

My poor Cola..

I popped to the shops today for about 2 hours and when I came back I found Cola on her back in her table. Luckily she wasn't near her lamp, she had obviously been scaling the wall and must have toppled over and couldn't get back upright. As soon as I came in I went to her and she was laying on her back dead still I just screamed and dropped my shopping and picked her up then put her back upright again.. I was shaking and gave her a bath straight away. She seems ok but is still not eating and hasn't been to wee or poo for over a week :mellow: :(

I have tried putting her in a large deep box full of top soil to encourage her to lay but she just gets stressed and tries to climb out!

I think I will be relieved when monday comes and I will take her to the vets to induce her.. I won't let her out of my sight til then :(

I just can't wait to get her back to her old lazy, greedy self...

Have a good weekend everyone

Jeanette x

#2 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:43 PM

please dont think she will return to her old self and calm down right away.it can take some time and only ever happens right away when they have nested.often after they have been induced they continue being hyper and eventually do dig a nest before they eventually calm down.just so you wont get this done thinking it will solve your problems immediately .also consider next year when this happens again or for that matter possibly in a month's time neither you or your tortoise will have had any experience nesting and will end up going through the whole expensive process again.i have had a tortoise induced many years ago and i believe they have a calcium shot 24 hours before ,unless things have changed.another thing in case you dont know she will most likely just pass the eggs as she is walking along or in her box on the way back from the vet so if you want to incubate be ready so they dont get broken.

terry

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 03:58 PM

good luck with her.if she was mine i would try and hold out a bit longer as terry says it could become very costly to do this every time she becomes gravid.how long has she been like this?

#4 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

She has been like this for about 2 weeks now. I really don't want to have to get her induced but after the xray on Tuesday the vet said if she hadn't laid them by monday I needed to take her in? He did say that it can be lethal if they keep the eggs in them too long? How long is safe?

This is Cola's first clutch and as she lives alone with no other tort's (except when I went on holiday and my friend mixed her with her male) I am hoping this won't be happening again anytime soon. I have been really lucky because the lovely Sandy has offered to incubate them for me as she only lives 20 minutes and has all the right equipment and experience.

Do they show sings of making a nest eg digging early? or just before they lay? Why is she dying to get out of her table so bad? will she not lay them in there? How will I know when she is just about to lay, will she slow down?

appreciate any advice as always (I know i'm being slightly neurotic) :rolleyes:
Jeanette x

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

As I have said to you Jeanette, two weeks is nothing for a gravid tortoise:0) its just worse when she is kept in a smaller enclosure.
Some of my females can be like this for up to a month, but they have the whole garden to pace around. My lawn looks like it has been raked, as at least two like to lay their eggs in my lawn. They do test nests first, usually sniffing the ground and testing the ground with thier front legs to see if its suitable for digging or not.
Sometimes they start digging a nest, get half way through, and if they decide its not right, they give up, and lay another day. Sometimes in exactly the same place:0)
Some first time layers because of their inexperience do find it hard to find a good nesting site. So some lay on the surface. But most eventually lay on their own.
As Terry says, Oxytocin can mess with the tortoises hormones after the eggs are layed. So do be prepared she will act like this, up to a month or more. Until her hormones return to normal. A bit like us when we give birth, our hormones get messed big time:0)
Does your tortoise have sort of free acsses outside during the warmer months, from May until end of September, beginning of October?
Your not mad or nurotic, just inexperienced with a gravid tortoise:0)
I personally think the vet is incorrect about her having the eggs in her too long. I have had females lay eggs, a couple of weeks after they have gotten up from hibernation (if the weather is warm/hot outside) so were obviously carrying them in the previous year.
Carrying them inside for a couple of years yes, as they become over calcified, and sometimes too large to pass the egg. Xrays can show this I think.

#6 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

hi Jeanette in my opinion your vets first and main proiority is to solve your immediate problem and once the eggs are removed there is no more danger of an egg becoming ruptured during a fall possibly causing an infection.unfortunately this is a danger faced by every tortoise and owner when they are gravid.i havent seen the xray so cant say for certain if the eggs are over calcified or not only your vet can tell you this.to me this is the only reasonable reason for him to advise you to wait until monday then have her induced.as Sandy has said the eggs are very unlikely to be overcalcified if they are as you suspect this years.the decision of course is yours whatever you decide please keep me informed of her progress and if i can help just say.
terry

#7 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

theirs not much more i can add to that.i am pritty sure one of my females have eggs inside her she is just going into week 4 of wind down so hopfully she will lay after hibernation

#8 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

Maybe i'm just panicking for nothing, however I am back to work on tuesday and if she hasn't laid by then and I have to leave her in her table I am going to worry all day that she may turn over again.. She has never done this in the 2 years I have had her. She never normally tries to climb out :(

I'm sure i've developed some more grey hairs this last fortnight..

Thanks
Jeanette x

#9 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 06:20 PM

Hi Jeanette

Your not panicking for nothing:0) its just all new to you, I get exactly the same when something new happens to my tortoises. And I do the same, ask other keepers.
As long as she does not turn over under the light (remove anything from under it she might climb etc) she will be fine. Larger tortoises can survive quite a long time upside down. Of course its not nice, but for larger tortoises its not as dangerous as it is for smaller tortoises. Smaller tortoise dehydrate very quickly, so more harmful for them.
When any tortoise is found upside down, then into a bath is the best thing. This helps rehydrate them. My hatchlings quite often turn upside down, I just pop them into their water dish:0)
You could always higher the light (if possible) when you are out, this might lessen her turning over, while she is gravid.
I think if the eggs looked calcified the vet would have done the injection sooner, it would make more sense. But that could just be my sense:0)

#10 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 08:58 PM

Hi Jeanette,
Sorry to hear you got such a bad fright :( I was just thinking maybe you could bank up the sides of the enclosure with soil so they are slightly angled. This may help stop Cola from toppling over. As Sandy says you could remove any objects that would cause her to overturn and also higher her lamp. It is very difficult to watch over torts 24/7. But these are some of the precautions you could take and I hope they help. We all have our fingers crossed for you and Cola Jeanette. Take care ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#11 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:37 PM

Good idea, thankyou Freddy..
I have now built up her soil into a bank on all sides. Phew. She's been asleep since 3pm lazy moo... i reckon she may have frightened herself :(

I will update you all as soon as I have any news (or more questions/concerns)

thanks again for your interest, it means alot

Jeanette xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users