HELP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

is my tortoise ok? he keeps falling asleep when normally hes active!!!

he shuts his eyes and his head just falls!

will he be ok?

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

Hi there,

Lots of torts are sleepy at the moment, they sense the changes in temperature and in daylight hours.
Are you going to overwinter him?
When Hettie was poorly and had to be overwintered my vet suggested upping the UV to 14 hours in an attemp to 'trick' her into believing it was summer... I'm not convinced she was tricked though!
You've got me thinking now, I can't recall seeing their heads suddenly droop, other than the usual sleeping?
Lets see what others think... sorry, not much help there was I!! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Paula x

#3 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Dec 6 2010, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there,

Lots of torts are sleepy at the moment, they sense the changes in temperature and in daylight hours.
Are you going to overwinter him?
When Hettie was poorly and had to be overwintered my vet suggested upping the UV to 14 hours in an attemp to 'trick' her into believing it was summer... I'm not convinced she was tricked though!
You've got me thinking now, I can't recall seeing their heads suddenly droop, other than the usual sleeping?
Lets see what others think... sorry, not much help there was I!! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Paula x

its not like a sudden drop but iv never saw him sleep in the open before! lol x

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

Hi Ryan

Can you tell us a little more please?
What temperatures does your tortoise have?
What speices of tortoise?
Viv or open topped enclosure?
Do you bathe your tortoise?
It will help give the whole picture:0)

#5 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Dec 6 2010, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ryan

Can you tell us a little more please?
What temperatures does your tortoise have?
What speices of tortoise?
Viv or open topped enclosure?
Do you bathe your tortoise?
It will help give the whole picture:0)

hes a hermann
in a viv but soon getin him a table
his temp now is 38oC in warm end and about 30 cooler
yes i bathe him daily

#6 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hi Ryan

I think the temperatures are a bit too warm for him. The basking spot needs to be around 32 degrees and his cooler end should be around 20 degrees. Can you not open one door in the viv too let some fresh air in. But make sure you put something along the opening to stop your little one climbing out.

Gail
xx

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

Hi Ryan. I'm sure you already know this but your viv is not doing well at allowing for a cooler end. I think overall your temps are a bit on the high side, and the tortoise does need somewhere nearer to 20C it can get to if it wants.

But I also agree with Paula - light levels have fallen so much in the past couple of months and tortoises do notice this even when we keep them warm.

#8 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:41 PM

My female hermann has nodded off with her eyes shut whilst relaxing in her bath before which I think looks so cute. I also over wintered her last year and she slept nearly all day only waking when I physically got her out to bath & feed her.

They do cause us worry though don't they..

regards
Jeanette & Cola

#9 Guest_RyanClayton94_*

Guest_RyanClayton94_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:46 PM

i'll leave the door open on the cooler side until about 12ish.

so he is fine then? i thought he may of been ill! so worried lol sad.gif

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hi Ryan

As the other have said, when temps get too high, it has and effect on them, by making them want to sleep, sometimes they bury themselves to get away from the heat. The same happens when its too cold too.
If you have slding doors on your viv, then open one side and put a piece of cardboard or wood across the open space. You can selotape or the like the cardboard or wood in place. This allows airflow for your tortoise. He/she then will have a cool end and a warm end.

#11 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:45 AM

They often sleep with their heads hanging out. In fact victor started hibernation like that one year, but did shift and put his head back in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users