Correct Temp Under Heat Lamp

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:07 PM

Hi All

Can anybody advise me on the correct temperature for under a combined Heat U/V lamp and also the correct height for this lamp ?
I have always aimed for around 32 degrees, however I have been reading NATURALISTIC KEEPING AND BREEDING OF HERMANNS TORTOISES by Wolfgang Wegehaupt, he says that the ideal working temperature for a Hermanns is 35 degrees.
Does this mean that I need a "hotspot" of around 35 - 40 degrees under the lamp ?

Thanks

Robert

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hi Robert. I think 32c is the one to aim at and the height of the lamp is whatever it needs to be at to get this temp underneath it.

Wolfgangs' book is excellent but there are many differences between natural conditions and those under a UVB lamp. Higher temperatures under a UVB lamp are achieved by lowering it but the closer to the lamp the tortoise is, the drier it is. There can be very low humidity and high temperature hotspots under a UVB lamp that are not the best for the tortoise.

Hermanns in the wild will come across temperatures well over 32C a lot of the time and they don't even need to be in the sun to get it. Its a different situation and when we keep our tortoises indoors they don't have such a wide range of choices such as the wild ones have.

So I aim for about 32C under a UVB lamp.

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:10 PM

Hi Robert,

I have read Wolfgang's book too it is excellent.

I think another reason keepers here go for the 32C is about managing risk.

Torts are often kept on a small table, obstacles become a 'flip hazard' many young torts end up on their backs. In temperatures in the wild as described by Wolfgang a young unpturned torty would soon dehydrate.

At 32C torty functions perfectly well. When trying to set up a table top enclosure it would be very difficult to achieve the whole range suitable for torty and so as an 'average' it is a safer heat to use.

Paula x

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

Hi Robert,
It would also be well to remember that in the wild tortoises do not only experience temps in excess of 32 degrees but there are also times when days are different and temps are much less. So it would also be true to say that torts function well within a range of temperatures. This is why it is a good idea to put young tortoises outside as much as possible in the summer so they can acclimatise and become more used to our temps. Hope this helps. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#5 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2010 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the advise everybody

Robert

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:23 AM

Hi Robert,
Although we can learn a lot from how tortoises live in their natural habitats it is how they cope and adapt to our climate and environment that really matters. Indeed my own tortoise 'Billiejo' came from the wild and although she brought with her many valuable instincts , she too has had to adapt to our climate in order to survive. Indeed the survival rate for hatchlings in their natural habitat is so low that it is debatable whether we should apply what happens there to here at all. Of course this may be due to predators. However, I would come down on the side of those who say that everything we know about tortoises is based on their life in the wild. Indeed, they have populated and survived in these areas for thousands of years, so that can't be bad. People like Wolfgang Wegehaupt are to be commended for their extensive field studies and for their attempts, by naturalistic means, to bring a semblance of normality to the lives of captive tortoises . Anyway Robert I know I am off topic but I just thought I would mention this to see what others think. I hope Bertie's hibernation is going smoothly. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#7 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2010 - 09:14 AM

I think sometimes we can get a bit paranoid about temps. If the tortoise basks under the lamp and then goes off, it's fine. If he spends ages under it, it's probably too cool and if they barely spend any time under it, it is probably too hot. Rule of thumb an' all that.

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (Lin @ Dec 13 2010, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think sometimes we can get a bit paranoid about temps. If the tortoise basks under the lamp and then goes off, it's fine. If he spends ages under it, it's probably too cool and if they barely spend any time under it, it is probably too hot. Rule of thumb an' all that.

You're right Lin. If it's too cool under the basking lamp it just takes them a little longer to warm up. If it's too hot then they don't spend as long there. Either way they can retreat from the lamp and this too is perfectly fine. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#9 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:30 AM

If its too hot, they will bury down.
If its too cold they will bury down.
If they bask, then eat, then bask again, you have it just right:0)

#10 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:59 AM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Dec 14 2010, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they bask, then eat, then bask again, you have it just right:0)

Even better still Sandy!! laugh.gif
Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#11 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the late reply but I've been ill for a few days.
I think i might have been a little too worried about the temp. As everybody says it's both hotter and colder in the wild and they manage ok. I'll stick to 32 degrees.

Thanks for asking about Bertie Freddy.
He's fine thanks, he's only lost around 1.5-2 grams so far which is good I think.
I hope Billiejo's hibernation is going well ?

Regards
Robert

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:00 PM

Hi Robert,
Sounds like Bertie's doing just fine. That's really great!! Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users