skin peeling on back legs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:25 PM

Hello
Humpty's back legs are peeling is there anything you can put on or in there bath water to prevent it getting any worse.
Jayne

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (jay @ Dec 8 2010, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello
Humpty's back legs are peeling is there anything you can put on or in there bath water to prevent it getting any worse.
Jayne

Perfectly normal, all reptiles shed their skins. Tortoises just do it in bits:0) rather than all at once.

#3 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Hi Sandy
H and Becky shed small bits but just seemed alot more with humpty,thanks its put my mind at rest as now she's doing so well with her eating and she's settled in so well.
take care
Jayne

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:36 PM

Hi Jay,
Maybe it is because Humpty is kept under a heat lamp and H and Becky are not. Constant exposure to the heat lamp could be causing Humpty's skin to become drier and to shed more excessively.
I have to say I'm no expert when it comes to young tortoises and their heating and lighting requirements and I'm certainly no dermatologist! he! he! But I would just hazzard a guess that this could indeed be the root of the problem. I would suggest you lower the basking temps and create a larger cooler area in the enclosure. You could try this Jayne. Sure you have nothing to lose. See how it goes...
Best of luck wink.gif
Freddy biggrin.gif

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2010 - 08:52 AM

They can shed what seem like quite large bits of skin, but not whole like lizards and snakes do:0)
Dont ever pull the skin off, as you might well pull new skin off too.
The only time to worry if skin is peeling, is if its red and sore underneath. That would not be normal.
Touch wood, thats not happened to me, or any keepers I know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users