need a bit of help

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tortoise09_*

Guest_tortoise09_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2010 - 11:17 PM

hello my 12 year old male tortoise has been in hibernation for just over 9 weeks but a little bit worried this year as he has lost a lot more weight then he did last year he lost 40g he went in at 618 and now is 577 what you think

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 12:37 AM

Hi There,
All going well a tortoise should only lose approx 1% of it's body weight per month during hibernation. Sounds like your tortoise has lost a lot more than this. I'm not too sure of your hibernation temps. At temps of 8+ degrees your torts metabolism would begin to function and he would start to use up vital fat reserves. So firstly I would check the temps. There is also the chance that your tortoise has an underlying health problem which is causing him to expend energy. If the matter hasn't resolved itself in the next 2 weeks or so I would take him out of hibernation and overwinter him for the remaining months. It might also be a good idea to have him checked over by a vet. Hope this helps.Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_tortoise09_*

Guest_tortoise09_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 08:31 AM

thank you for your fast reply last year he never really last any weight bue loseing it all the time the other are all fine and doing great the temp in the fridge is 5c

also i hope you dont mind me asking but how long she a year and half year old tortoise do as well

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2010 - 09:10 AM

Hi Sherri,
A year and a half year old tortoise should be hibernated for approx 8 weeks. Hope this helps. Take care ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#5 Guest_tortoise09_*

Guest_tortoise09_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2010 - 10:06 AM

thank for that help as well

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:26 PM

Your welcome Sherri. Anytime you need any help you know where to find us. Take care
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#7 Guest_tortoise09_*

Guest_tortoise09_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:03 PM

hello its me again well i got my male 12 year old tortoise up after he done 10 weeks as he lost a little bit more weight so i thought it was is time for him too get up now but i am a little worried about him as its day 2 now and he still not eating and all he wants too do is hide and go back too sleep what do i do about this as i never had too get any of mine up in dec do i take him too the vets hmmmmm help.

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

Hi Sherri,
It can take tortoises a while before they are fully out of hibernation. As he has been woken early this would certainly be the case with your tortoise. You need to keep him indoors and warm and provide him with a suitable heat lamp and UV light. If you meet these requirements and are patient he should gradually come round. Also, you have to remember that there is still the possibility that he is unwell. So, It would be wise to make an appointment with a reptile vet or similar as soon as possible for a health check. Hope this helps Sherri. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 Guest_tortoise09_*

Guest_tortoise09_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:01 AM

thank you for this help he got a heat lamp on and i got a new uv light yday so everything up and runing i bath him but he just keep trying too hide away and i try too give him some food by hand but he really dont want it

who the best vet too go to in cambridgeshire and how long should i leave him before takeing him too a vet

#10 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:12 AM

Hi Sherri,
Even a healthy adult tortoise can take a while to eat after hibernation. So, I wouldn't worry about that yet. Sounds like your doing everything just fine. As I'm in Ireland I'm not too sure of the vets available in your area. But you could try clicking on the 'List of Vets' link on the top of your screen and this might help. With regard to when to take him, I would say next week at the earliest as it can take a long time for tortoises to get ill and even longer for them to get better. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#11 Guest_tortoise09_*

Guest_tortoise09_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:18 AM

thank you so much for your fast reply i will keep an eye on him and keep bathing him and hope he start eating soon i never had this with before haveing him lose weight and have too get him up and not eating when hes waken up before he wouldnt stop eating i keep you posted on how he doing thank you for your help its very nice of you

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:22 AM

Your very welcome Sherri. I hope I was of some help. Please let us know how you get on. Take care and goodnight.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#13 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

Hi Sherri

Your tortoise could have easily stayed in hibernation for at least another month. The temps are so cold out, it will take your tortoise a lot longer to get into a normal mode.
Most of us dont hibernate our tortoises until late October up until late November, so they are asleep during the coldest months. And we dont have to feed junk foods to them. As weeds become harder to find in cold spells.
At twelve years old, they are hibernated the same length of time as adults.
You now until his system has really got going, keep him warm at night too. Not with a heat lamp as he wont need the light, but with some sort of heating. And bathe him every day. Of course during the day heat and light.

#14 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

Hi Sandy,
Sherri's tortoise was losing a lot of weight that is why she decided to take him out of hibernation early. There is a possibility that he could be ill. Just clarifying. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#15 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 12:38 PM

How much is a lot of weight?
How was he hibernated?
What was the weight going into hibernation, not before windown but when actually put into hibernation?
They generally lose most of the weight in the first two weeks, so thats not too much of a worry, after that they dont lose too much.

#16 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:19 PM

Hi Sandy,
You may have missed the earlier posts in this thread which should help explain.
He lost 40 grams in 9 weeks of hibernation and would be nearing the critical 10% weight loss (including wind-down) that is why Sherri took him out on week 10 of hibernation.
He was hibernated in the fridge at 5 degrees.
He was 618 grams going into hibernation and is now approx. 570 grams.
He never lost this much weight before during hibernation. Hope this info is of help. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#17 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:59 PM

I did read the messages, but there was nothing to say about when the 40grms was lost, during windown or from the weight he went into windown with.
If the 40grms was part of the windown weight, then its inaccurate. As it should be from the weight actually going into hibernation. The talk was not really accurate enough to tell.
And 40grms was not the maximum he could lose during windown. It might be just panicking.
I talk with my head :0) not my heart when weight loss etc when it comes to hibernation:0)

I certainly wouldnt worry if it were my tortoise and that weight loss. But I would keep a closer eye on him.

#18 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

Personally, I think Sherri made the right decision taking her tortoise out of hibernation. He was losing too much weight during hibernation and there was a possibility that he was ill. It just wasn't worth the risk!!
Kind Regards
Freddy

#19 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:25 PM

Its down to experience and opinion then.

#20 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:46 PM

Hi Sandy,
You are indeed a very experienced and highly respected keeper and are usually right 99% of the time. However, I can only go on the evidence that's been given and this would seem to suggest a cautious approach in this case. We are dealing with another persons tortoise and I think we have to be careful. I have hibernated my own tortoise 'Billiejo' for the past 30 years so I think it would be fair to say I have some experience and if I were in Sherri's position I would do the same. I have also followed this topic both here and on other forums and my advice seems to concur with others. I know sometimes we differ on this forum about certain things but I think collectively we have enough knowledge and experience to deal with most problems. As I said before Sandy, your advice is always excellent and I know it is based on your own experience . I respect that and would not wish you to think otherwise.But in reality people don't always agree. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users