Help with Hibernation please!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_anita_*

Guest_anita_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:00 PM

I have a 4 year old hermans, this will be the 2nd year I have hibernated him. last year went according to plan, but this year is not going according to plan at all! He is now on week 3 of the wind down as per the instructions from your care sheets, and he is not settling down at all, he is charging around his run and is makng no attempt to bed down for the winter. I am worried that I have left it too late this year and may need to over winter him, I could really use some advice on what may be the best course of action. many thanks!

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:18 PM

Sounds like he is not cold enough to me.
Its never to late this time of the year to hibernate him.
What have you done to wind him down?

#3 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:23 PM

Hi
How long are you having uvb/heat lights on?It sounds like he needs to be slowed down more by reducing heat/uvb,last year i managed to do the full wind down but this year i had to reduce it down to two weeks due to cooler temps,i wish things did go to plan but it tests us out.If i were you i would reduce temps down by reducing heat/uvb to 3 hours,then final week 2 hours heat/uvb then reducing down to no heat/uvb,if in tabletop house move it to a cooler room in the house before hibernation.Which hibernation plan are you going from?,you will not be too late to hibernate you can still do eight week hibernation which will be beneficial to your little one.best of luck in getting your tort slowed down,let us know how it goes.
Jay

#4 Guest_anita_*

Guest_anita_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:51 PM

Thanks for your reply! I have done it in 4 stages: stage 1 no food, same light and heat (6 days)
stage 2 make days shorter (6 days) stage 3 leave heat lamp off (6 days) stage 4 no heat or light.

I agree that maybe the room i keep him in may be too warm, I may move him to a cooler part of the house, and I hope that he might still be able to go in the fridge around about the time I calculated (23rd December)

#5 Guest_anita_*

Guest_anita_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:54 PM

Thanks for your reply, I think the problem may be the room I keep him in is too warm, I will try moving him to a cooler part of the house and hope he slows down!

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

QUOTE (anita @ Dec 14 2010, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your reply, I think the problem may be the room I keep him in is too warm, I will try moving him to a cooler part of the house and hope he slows down!

I think you have answered yourself:0)
Warmth of the room is vital to hibernation. If the ambient temps are too high, then they wont hibernate.

#7 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

hi my torts were still mating up until two days before i hibernated them you could put them in the shed or in your loft for now to cool them down.all but one of mine are in the fridge doing quite well my last will be joining them soon

bruce

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hi Anita,
As others have said your room temps are too high. It can be difficult to get temps down indoors!! Maybe you could open the windows?? I would try to get them down to 14 degrees initially and then to 10 degrees or less for the remaining few days of wind-down. If you meet these requirements your tortoise should slow down. Best of luck ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users