Exercise ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_michele_*

Guest_michele_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:45 PM

My tortoise is into the first week of windown,should i still let her come out for a bit of exercise each day ?

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (michele @ Dec 17 2010, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My tortoise is into the first week of windown,should i still let her come out for a bit of exercise each day ?

Not if you want him/her to sleep eventually, you need them to slow down:) The more active they stay the harder it is for them so slow down.

#3 Guest_michele_*

Guest_michele_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

Wish she/he would windown doesn't stop trying to get out and ending up on it's back 3 times a day

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (michele @ Dec 17 2010, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wish she/he would windown doesn't stop trying to get out and ending up on it's back 3 times a day

Could she be too hot?
What temps under the heat?

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:18 PM

Hi Michele,
Hope your little one's keeping well? Best of luck with wind-down. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#6 Guest_michele_*

Guest_michele_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Dec 17 2010, 04:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could she be too hot?
What temps under the heat?

It's 30 and c/heating on all day ????

#7 Guest_michele_*

Guest_michele_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Dec 17 2010, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Michele,
Hope your little one's keeping well? Best of luck with wind-down. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Thank you ! angry.gif

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:17 PM

Hi Michele,

I still had my basking lamp on for 12 hours in the first week of wind down and so the little guys were still very active.
Week 2 I reduced this to 8 hours, week 3 down to 4 hours, the shorter the length of time the heat and UV were on the more they slowed up.
This week they have no additional heat or UV and today when I got home from work they were still where I put them after their baths this morning.
Perhaps when you reduce the heat/UV she will slow up a bit too? What sort of room temperature is usual where she stays? Is it allowed to drop at night?
Paula x

#9 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:41 PM

I'm following a fairly similar routine to Paula and they definitely slowed down during week 2. At first they did tend to run over when they saw me, hoping for some food. But they seem less interested now and slower in their movements.

At night I've been opening the windows in the room the tortoises are in. With it being -5 C outside, this cools the room down below 10C at night and I am quite sure this has a significant effect. Lots of keepers have problems slowing down their torts and sometimes the tortoises are still at 15C plus at night and I think this might be the reason.

#10 Guest_michele_*

Guest_michele_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Dec 17 2010, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Michele,

I still had my basking lamp on for 12 hours in the first week of wind down and so the little guys were still very active.
Week 2 I reduced this to 8 hours, week 3 down to 4 hours, the shorter the length of time the heat and UV were on the more they slowed up.
This week they have no additional heat or UV and today when I got home from work they were still where I put them after their baths this morning.
Perhaps when you reduce the heat/UV she will slow up a bit too? What sort of room temperature is usual where she stays? Is it allowed to drop at night?
Paula x

Yes it's cold at night no heating till the morning,i shall reduce temp time a little tomorrow thank you

#11 Guest_michele_*

Guest_michele_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (Ozric @ Dec 17 2010, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm following a fairly similar routine to Paula and they definitely slowed down during week 2. At first they did tend to run over when they saw me, hoping for some food. But they seem less interested now and slower in their movements.

At night I've been opening the windows in the room the tortoises are in. With it being -5 C outside, this cools the room down below 10C at night and I am quite sure this has a significant effect. Lots of keepers have problems slowing down their torts and sometimes the tortoises are still at 15C plus at night and I think this might be the reason.

Well it's -10 tonight so maybe tomorrow she/he will slow down a little ,i know i will unsure.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users