For The First Time

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Michelle Kersley_*

Guest_Michelle Kersley_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:04 PM

I have stopped feeding Nemo and Daisy for 12 days now, they are 2 years 5 months old. This is my first time and theirs I hate seeing them rumaging for food they seem really hungry and it makes me feel awful. I have been bathing them everyday and turning their heatlamp on less and less. I have their boxes ready for the fridge and the thermometres set up, but I am getting really worried that I am doing the right thing as their little lives are in my hand. I only have 6 days left before they are meant to go in and have so many questions, like do I need to check on them everyday, what happens if they wee or won't sleep. Somebody please give me a bit of reassurance.

#2 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:09 PM

Hi Michelle

I am also hibernating Tom and Tiny for the first time. They are almost 4 years old now and I know how you feel. I have chosen the box message. They have only been in their boxes since Wednesday and I am already frantic as the bad weather has returned. As it is my first time, I am learning the same as you. So I don't feel confident to answer your questions. I am sure that somebody will be along soon to help you out. All I can say is that even the more experienced people are very apprehensive when it comes to hibernation, so you are not alone.

Gail
xx

#3 Guest_Michelle Kersley_*

Guest_Michelle Kersley_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 06:45 PM

I add to this that daisy is 80g and 7 cm making her .23 and Nemo is 82g at 8cm making him .16.

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

Hi Michelle,
I am not too experienced when it comes to young tortoises or their hibernation using the fridge method. But according to the information on this forum you seem to be doing everything just right. Hibernation is the most natural thing in the world for tortoises so try not to worry. I know this is your first time and your feelings of apprehension are understandable. Indeed it's something we all feel whether it's our first hibernation or 30th. You will find a useful guide to hibernation using the fridge method by clicking on the 'Hibernation' link at the top of your screen. Feel sure that if you follow this to the letter everything will work out just fine.Take care Michelle and best of luck with Nemo and Daisy ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

Hi Michelle,
I have only one hibernation under my belt for my 3 little guys so don't have too much experience, mine are due to go in the fridge on Sunday and it is a really worrying time.
According to the hibernation ratio charts I have seen those ratios make it fine to hibernate.
As Freddy says it sounds as if you are doing everything right, are you keeping a record of the weight loss so far?
As your table temperatures lower they should become more inactive. My little guys haven't moved all day today. What sort of room temperature is their table in?
I will be opening the fridge door each day to allow air change but wont be disturbing the little guys for the 1st week. Last year I took them out of the fridge once a week to weigh them. I made sure everything was ready so they weren't out long, just popped on the scales and straight back in. I made sure the room wasnt warm and nobody seemed to even notice!
The only reason they wouldnt sleep is if they were too warm.
If Daisy or Nemo were to wee you would have to get them up as they could risk dehydrating if you didn't.
A little poo at the beginning won't make any difference.
Any questions just ask, there are lots of people happy to help where they can.
Let us know how you get on.

Paula x

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hi Michelle! Yes it's stressful for us humans. The hunger soon dies down so as the heat reduces which is always a relief to me as I feel bad when they are looking for food.

If a tortoise wee's during hibernation then it may be necessary to wake the tortoise.

If you have done a wind down over a few weeks you will fnd the tortoises become much less active. It is important that they feel a lower temperature at night.

I also worry sometimes that I might not be doing the right thing but if we take care with preparations and keep a close eye on the tortoise during hibernation, I believe it can be safe for them. If a tortoise is underweight or has a health problem then it's safer not to hibernate it.

Please remember that the hunger does stop and that a healthy tortoise can easily live for weeks with no food.

Smaller tortoises need a shorter wind down and we have to avoid keeping them warm and active for too long without food.

And a big welcome too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users