looking at me!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

got back from work today and had a look in the fridge and one of them is still awake after a week!!!!this tortoises temp is 6degrees all the others are doing fine.i cant understand it.i have only got this tortoise on loan from a scottish breeder to try and boost the fertility of my females.i know this guy really well and a few of my torts have already been in contact with his torts before i got it on loan. as a few of my lot came from him.any ideas on what to do
cheers
bruce

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:38 PM

Must have been a bit of a surprise to see him peering at you! :blink:
Could you swap his position in the fridge Bruce to a cooler shelf? My fridge varies by 3C between the top and the bottom... Just a thought.

Paula x

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

allready done that paula will have to wait and see what happens now i mite have to get him up yet ill deside tomorrow

thanks

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

i have had this tortoise in the shed all day to cool him down!!!!its 1degrees in there and he still has his eyes open!!!grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i really dont want to keep this tort up!!!

#5 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:17 PM

i have now spoken to the owner of this tortoise and we have desided to keep him up as since gone in the fridge he hasnt slept and in 7 days he has almost lost 40grams and the owner did not want to risk it.so an extra one for christmas dinner this year!!!!

#6 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:21 PM

Better to be safe than sorry Bruce.

Just when we think we have got it all covered, the little devils tell us different.

Gail
xx

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:40 PM

They are no trouble are they?!! :rolleyes: Bless him. :wub:

Paula x

#8 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 09:45 PM

well hes bathed heated and now eating little@@@@@@

#9 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

That's interesting Bruce! This critter just doesn't know when to lie down. 40g is a signifiacnt amount and I can understand why you decided to get him going again. Some of them do hibernate with their eyes open some of the time.

Won't do any harm to keep him up if you need to.

J

#10 Guest_Ole Nielsen_*

Guest_Ole Nielsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:12 PM

Ive had a male thherc looking at me 2 weeks ago ( its hibernation started beginning of oct.! ) he had slept but now he walked around a bit in slomo for a couple of days.
Now hes sleeping again allthough he has not dug himself down in the soil yet ...

Another funny thing is .. you know when you lift a tortoise its making the " fffffffhhh!" sound like a quick breathout.
Most adults here doing it IN hibernation too !! when I dig them up for a visual check ... sleeping and cold ... still a " fffffffhhh!"

#11 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:42 PM

its a stressfull time for me just now as i have never hibernated this many torts before and the fridge is full to bursting!!!i have also been working away and only have a short window every time i get home to sort things out!!ole did your tort loose a lot of weight wandering about not sleeping?you must get pritty harsh winters over there.how do you go about hibernation ole?

i have only been hibernating for the last 4 or 5 year.i cant remember ever seeing the torts eyes open in the fridge.is this quite common jonathan?
thanks

bruce

#12 Guest_Ole Nielsen_*

Guest_Ole Nielsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 03:20 PM

This is only my 3rd year with torts in hibernation .. im a relatively new tortkeeper , well talking big stock :)

I use my shed and the torts are in boxes with soil.

I have a heater so if temp drops lower than 4 degree itll start heating and shuts off at degrees.

First year I hibernated 21 torts for 4½ month ....... No losses
Second 37 torts for 5 month .......................... No losses
This year 68 ( 31 hatchlings 9-16 grams) Time will tell ... I presume some of the hatchlings wont make it (3 month only) .

#13 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

wow you are brave!!!i would not hibernate anything under 40 grams!!!!!dose your shed not heat up on bright days?i did think of putting my lot in the shed but was scaired that the temps mite rise above 10 degrees on better days

thanks

bruce

#14 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

When my tortoises are in the GH Bruce, even if the temps rise to higher than 10c they stay down.
Mine have to wait until the soil warms up too. One of the reasons I let them naturally hibernate.
I wont hibernate hatchlings under 30grms:0)

#15 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 05:19 PM

Hettie Hhhhhffffs all the time! :laugh:

68! style_emoticons/default/blink.gif lucky, lucky, lucky tort crazy you!! :laugh:

:blink: Bruce, good point that Sandy made, it will be interesting to see just how long it is before you see temps of +10 up in them there hills!

Paula x

#16 Guest_Ole Nielsen_*

Guest_Ole Nielsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:36 PM

Well I guess it could heat up but intill now it has not till marts and then ill put them in the greenhouse a late afternoon (dark) and bury them with soil ...
From there they can continue to sleep or start the season.. their choice.
This winter and last has been very cold allmost below zero most of the time, thats why the "gettin too hot" problem hasnt really showed.
Think the soil like Sandy says acts like a buffer too.

Hatchlings will hibernate approx. 12 weeks. They allready done the most since they stopped eating and dug down beginning of Oct.
Checked them 1 week ago. All was still alive ... :)

I was scared like xxxx first year I hibernated torts but after doing it a couple of years , I do feel comfortable about it as long as I remember to check the boxes
and add some water (not just spray) if the soils getting to dry.I check at least once a week .I take a handfull of soil and "feel" it ..

#17 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:47 PM

i mite give it a go next year as the fridge is bursting now with torts!!!and could be better for them.we will see thanks for that

i sopose yor rite paula not much chances of thoose temps here for a while!!!!!!!
bruce

#18 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:57 PM

It's really good to hear how other people do things differently to what we usually read... and that it is so successful. Definately food for thought!

Paula x

#19 Guest_Ole Nielsen_*

Guest_Ole Nielsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 01:43 PM

All my hatchlings done their 3 month and all are up running again , basking and eating !

#20 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hi Ole,
Glad to hear your torts made it through hibernation OK. That's great news. Congrats again.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users