Hibernation in garden

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hallsy_*

Guest_hallsy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

Our tortoise dug down somewhere in our garden late october during a bitterly cold afternoon. We have carefully dug parts of garden to try to find it but had no success. It is a 40 year old fairly large hermann we have had since birth . Every year we have placed it in a box in garage and it has been fine.
The weather the last few weeks in east sussex has seen night time temperatures dip in excess of minus 5.
What are the chances of its survival? Being an older toirtoise does this make it more hardy?
I hope someone can give us some positive replies.

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 05:19 PM

i think it would depend on how far it has dug down.my friend had a hatchling go missing one year in his garden he had very deep snow that year and it turned up next summer beside some stones so it could make it through.
best of luck they are harder than u think

#3 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:44 PM

HI

I have a large adult Spur Thigh Tortoise who we rehomed in June. We have no idea how old she is, as she came with no history. Tilly dug down in the greenhouse at the beginning of October and Temperatures have really plummetted here in the Midlands. Last week end I was so worried I carefully dug down to where she was and her front legs moved. So I know that at the moment she is still alive. And alot hardier than I thought. So I do believe now that she knows what she is doing and should be ok. I do have to say she isn't very far down in the soil, the top of her shell is still slightly above ground. So there is hope that your tortoise will be fine.

Gail
xx

#4 Guest_hallsy_*

Guest_hallsy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

Ive been worrying for the last few weeks about my tortoise, I went out in garden this morning and there she was sitting on top of the soil by the fence eyes open and head and legs just about moving. I am amazed it has survived the harsh winter we have just had minus 5-10 at times here in East Sussex. We had a really mild almost spring day yesterday wish must have got it moving and digging out, how it has the strength to dig up and out after being in hibernation for almost 15 weeks amazes me.I have moved it indoors into its box to monitor it for a few days. What do I have to look for health wise ??? I value any feedback from members. Goes to show how hardy these older tortoises are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users