- - - - -

Leopard Tortoise not settling well, please help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jenniphur_*

Guest_jenniphur_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 10:39 PM

I just bought a leopard tortoise and set up, she has everything she needs.... but she isn't moving..
She has only popped her head out once and not for long.
I am leaving her alone... but she wont come out of her hide.
Im just a bit worried... what should I do... I hope she snaps out of it soon!

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

Hi There,
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new tortoise. Unfortunately I am not familiar with leopards but suffice to say it can take a while for a tortoise to settle in to its new surroundings. Sounds like your tortoise could be just making strange. I would give her a little while longer to get used to things. You might also wish to bring her to a vet at some stage for a health check. This is just a precaution with all new tortoises. Hopefully there will be somebody along soon to offer you more helpful advice. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (jenniphur @ Jan 1 2011, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just bought a leopard tortoise and set up, she has everything she needs.... but she isn't moving..
She has only popped her head out once and not for long.
I am leaving her alone... but she wont come out of her hide.
Im just a bit worried... what should I do... I hope she snaps out of it soon!

hi tortoises can take some time to settle into a new home.there is a guy who comes on the forum who breeds leopard torts he will keep you rite i am sure.look out for terrypin

bruce

#4 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:25 PM

hi jenniphur.i keep leopards and have done since 1996.i have leopards of just about every age and size.it really depends on if this is a captive bred tortoise or if from a shop most likely wild caught.can i ask what the length and weight is please.iit is really important to determine how healthy it is most leopards can be shy and refuse to eat if they arent feeling well.do you have any picture of its home so i can see if there is anything there that might effect its confidence.also if this is a recent import you will be well advised to see a vet so it can be treated for protzoa and worms.
terry

#5 Guest_jenniphur_*

Guest_jenniphur_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

Hi.. thank you... It still isn't moving much.
I bought it from a pet shop. I was told she is 5 years..
Its just slighly short of 5 inches long.. and 300g
The man in the pet shop put together the set up... It has heat mat, UV strip light and a red heat lamp.
Its about 4foot by 1 ft..
I will also try to post a pic when if I can get my card working in this comp.
Its in a quiet place and I have been leaving her alone to settle. I dont understand as I did pick the most lively leopard at the shop, but It completely changed when I brought her home.
I might ring the shop in the morning .. and a trip to the vet.. which Im scared will frighten her even more.

Many Thanks,

Jenny.

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Hi Jenny,
It is understandable that you may feel a little apprehensive bringing your tortoise to a vet. But it is for her own good. Best to just get her checked over. This will help eliminate any possible health problems. I see also you are in Northern Ireland which is just up the road from me here in Cavan so I wish you the best of luck. I'm sure everything will work out just fine. Take care.
Kind Regards
Freddy
P.S Heat mats are not recommended as they can cause burns and affect a torts temperature self-regulation.

#7 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:57 PM

hi again Jenny,if the straight carapace length is between 120 and 130mm then 300grams is a fair bit under weight.its very likely dehydration and the first thing you need to do is start twice daily soaks for about 15 to 20 minutes each.use warm water right up to level with their chin and then after a couple of minutes gently pour the warm water over its head.most of them will stand up tall and stretch their heads out to drink as the water runs off their shell.either way keep up the soakings.i would try to feed after the soaking some will be a bit more active just after.also if you leave some food down during the day it may venture out when no body is around .some of mine prefer to eat when the others have finished and any food left is dried up a little.please keep me informed how its going.they can be hard work to get established but are really worth the trouble .leopards can be real characters.i mix and chop fresh food for mine daily and have diet i use for younger leopards you may want to try until yours can get out and graze.
terry

#8 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

hi again,Jenny i just had a thought i have written a short caresheet for leopard tortoises .its not completed yet by any means but what i have written i have posted to my caresheets site where i think the diet sheets are also.here is the link if you are interested. http://www.tortoise-...d-tortoises.php

terry

#9 Guest_jenniphur_*

Guest_jenniphur_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

Oh thanks so much!
I have been giving her soaks.. she picks up during them.. and seems a bit more confident when i put her back in her home after.. at least she has started peaking her head out more!
Although the majority of the time she is still hiding in her shell.
I will keep up the soaks and hopefully everything will improve slowly but surely..

I was so happy to see her perk up after the very first soak... thank you so much!

Jenny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users