Weight drop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:54 AM

Good morning all and a Happy new year,
My question is as follows: Do you take the torts weight on the first day that you stop feeding or is it taken on the first day that you put them in the fridge? The 10% rule could mean that they are near to the point that i now have to wake them up (a bit on the early side) or if its from fridge "day"? I still have 10-15 grams to play with. Thanks all John

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Hi John,
Good afternoon and happy new year. Yours is a very good question. All going well a tortoise shouldn't lose more than 1% of its total weight per month during hibernation. If it reaches a critical loss of 10% of its original weight i.e from the day you first stopped feeding, then it's time to get it up. Better to be safe than sorry. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Pm'd you John.

#4 Guest_John_*

Guest_John_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 09:21 AM

Hello and thank you for the help. Will check twice weekly from now on. John

#5 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:48 PM

Hi all

weight loss after the tortoise goes into hibernation should be very little. If the tortoise is hibernating at a suitable temperature then it is using virtually no energy and weight lost is most likely water. For this reason I think it is worth thinking about using a damp substrate for hibernation. In my small amount of experience this reduces weight loss considerably.

Many keepers find their tortoises loose a little weight during the first week or two and after that the weight hardly changes.

John's question is an excellent one and I have seen various answers to this question. Likewise, at what point should the Jackson Ration weight be taken - is it after wind down or before it? Again there are various opinions.

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:50 PM

I would say that a tortoise actually starts losing weight from the time you stop feeding and this should be the point that the 10% weight loss begins. This makes more sense.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#7 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:58 PM

hmm.i am not sure a have only been hibernating for about four years so not that experinced at it.i would of thought the most weight loss will be to empty the belly of the tortoise in the wind down although its got to use some body weight. so i use when they go in the fridge and not the wind down.could well be wrong but that the way i do it

bruce

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:31 PM

Bruce is right. Some of the weight loss in wind-down is to empty the belly of the tortoise. But some is also actual body weight. So I would think it's a combination of both. Most torts don't tend to eat well coming up to wind-down anyway. As Oz says there are different opinions as to when you should measure the 10% weight loss. Personally, I would be more cautious and say from wind-down. But it is really up to the individual keeper to decide.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:42 PM

Personally I think if the tortoise is losing a lot of weight in hibernation then it needs to be woken up. Weight loss during wind down is to be expected and what I do is to weight them at least weekly before they go down. If I think it's OK to go ahead with the hibernation then I expect a bit of weight loss at first whilst they are settling and not much at all after that. If it's more than the 1% monthly that Freddy mentions then I think it's a concern once that first couple of weeks has gone by.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users