I think I have a sick tortise, please any help appreciated

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_LesleyAnne_*

Guest_LesleyAnne_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:02 PM

Hi - I am not familiar with forums so I am not sure if I am doing this right but here goes anyway!

I had 2 baby tortises purchased for me at the end of Nov 2010 (Thelma & Louise). I have a Zoo-Med wooden tort house, zoo-med 100w Powersun heat/UVB bulb, ceramic lamp holder and stand and an Algarde heat mat. On 22 Nov I weighed them and Thelma was 160 grams and Louise 111 grams. Both have certificates stating they were hatched in 2009, they were captive bred in Sovenia. Thelma is quite a bit bigger than Louise. I started weighing every week and up until 2 weeks ago they had both been gaining weight and were eating well, on 27 December Thelma was 180 grams, Louise 122 grams, Louise had lost 2 grams from previous weigh-in. On 4 Jan 2011 Thelma was 183 grams but Louise had dropped to 109 grams. I am now panicking as although Louise is very very active all day she hasn't eaten for more than a week. I have been bathing her in warm baths 4-5 times a day for 10 mins at a time (as she isn't happy to stay in any longer) but she hasn't done a wee or had a drink for days and days. Thelma is munching away twice a day and is drinking, weeing etc., but I fear I am losing little Louise. Please what can I do to help her? Is she sick, having dropped so much weight so quickly and stopping eating?

Up until 27 Dec Louise had been eating as much or more than Thelma and has just stopped. I feed them on a variety of lettuce (not Iceberg), watercress, dandylion leaves, occasionally the dried pellets pre soaked, and have dried flowers there too. I introduced cuttlefish which they both really took to but now Louise won't touch anything.

I leave the lamp on for around 10-11 hours a day and then the heat mat on over night at one end of the 'bedroom' section. They are currently kept in the dining room where the heating is on low but during the night the house doesn't drop below 10c or the thermo kicks in. They haven't ventured into the garden yet as it's probably too cold.

Is there anything else I should or shouldn't be doing or is this normal. Please, any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated - thank you so much/LesleyAnne. sad.gif

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:07 PM

Firstly we need to know the speices you are keeping, as different species have different needs.

Secondly, I would say get an appointment with a tortoise vet near you. Any changes in health, you can ask on forums, and get good answers. But a vet is always best.
Especially as they are imported tortoises, and not captive bred, but captive farmed. Which is completely different.
And imported tortoises can come with worm or protezoa loads. Both treatable by a good tortoise vet, if not left too long. Both of these can cause weight loss.

The temps under the lights for med tortoises such as hermans, marginata, ibera, graecas and horsfields should be 32c or just above. They need no extra heat at nightime, just the heat of the house.
They both should be bathed regularly every day for at least 20mins. In tepid water up to their chins.
Water should also be available in a shallow container, so they can drink and bathe when they need too.
Diet should be weeds, weeds and more weeds. I personally have never fed pelleted food to my graecas or iberas in over thirty years. As its not natural.
Food should be sprinkled with calciumcarbonate every day, and nuturabol every other day.

#3 Guest_LesleyAnne_*

Guest_LesleyAnne_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2011 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Jan 6 2011, 05:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Firstly we need to know the speices you are keeping, as different species have different needs.

Secondly, I would say get an appointment with a tortoise vet near you. Any changes in health, you can ask on forums, and get good answers. But a vet is always best.
Especially as they are imported tortoises, and not captive bred, but captive farmed. Which is completely different.
And imported tortoises can come with worm or protezoa loads. Both treatable by a good tortoise vet, if not left too long. Both of these can cause weight loss.

The temps under the lights for med tortoises such as hermans, marginata, ibera, graecas and horsfields should be 32c or just above. They need no extra heat at nightime, just the heat of the house.
They both should be bathed regularly every day for at least 20mins. In tepid water up to their chins.
Water should also be available in a shallow container, so they can drink and bathe when they need too.
Diet should be weeds, weeds and more weeds. I personally have never fed pelleted food to my graecas or iberas in over thirty years. As its not natural.
Food should be sprinkled with calciumcarbonate every day, and nuturabol every other day.

Thank you for responding Sandy. They are both Hermanns according to the certificates. I am currently growing weeds from seeds I purchased, hence the reason they are not fully on that at the moment. I will do a google search for the nearest tortoise vet and take them along. All their food is lightly sprinkled with Komodo Premium Tortoise supplement and I lightly sprinkle Repti Calcium with D3, phosphorus free on the food 3-4 times a week and will now do this each day and find Nuturabol to buy near here. They do have a water dish where they regularly walk through which of course is changed at least once a day. Thanks/Lesley

#4 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

Hermann tortoises shouldn't have heat mats. It can make them too hot. When the tort does a poo, take it to your vet so that it can be tested for parasites. If you can't take it to the vets straightaway, put the poo in a plastic container in the fridge. Victor was active when I first had him and then went lethargic and he had worms.

#5 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

Hi LesleyAnne. I think you are right to be concerned but I'm not so sure that the weight loss is such a huge amount. I agree it would be best to get to a suitable vet, though, because of the lack of apetite combined with a lot of activity.

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

Hi LesleyAnne,
I would agree with what others have said. I think it would be wise to bring Louise to a reptile vet for a health check. A loss of 12 grams or 10% of her body weight is a significant loss in one so young.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#7 Guest_LesleyAnne_*

Guest_LesleyAnne_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I have taken Louise to a reptile vet and she did indeed have worms which have now been treated. The vet is very happy that she appears well and is very active however she just will not eat anymore. Her weight is now 100 grams! Apart from grabbing mouthfulls of grated cuttlefish a few days ago it has been several weeks since she has eaten (hence the weight loss I guess). Her mate Thelma is absolutely fine munching away and she didn't have worms. Can anyone offer any advice on how to make her eat (her mouth opens OK as I've seen her yawning). Am I just panicking for nothing and should stop trying to force feed her? Anyone - any ideas?
LesleyAnne

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:06 PM

Hi LesleyAnne,
It can take a while for a tort to eat after worming. I would persevere with the food and hopefully she will start to eat eventually. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#9 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:33 AM

When Victor wouldn't eat, I would rub a bit of cucumber on a dandelion leaf and hand feed him. I used to be pleased if he ate 1/2 a leaf. I noticed there are a few dandelions just starting to poke through the ground. Now you can hardly pick him up!!!

#10 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hi Lesley Anne
When i rehomed Humpty she was very poorly hadn't eaten for months so i gave her three warm baths a day and hand fed her with plantain and dandelions and a sprinkle of cuttlefish it gradually progressed and now she eats very well and now down to one bath a day and now feeding for herself,try with a treat of cucumber or butternut squosh,all my torts love butternut squosh but it is only given as a treat but i notice its the first thing that goes.
Jayne

#11 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:21 PM

Hi Lesley Anne

Just a tip I used when I was tort sitting Cola's boyfriend, he was being overwintered and had been really poorly and after treatment at the vets would still not eat, I found that he would eat if I hand fed him whilst he was soaking in the bath! I did this for a few days and then started hand feeding straight after a bath.. It worked for him so fingers crossed it works for Louise.

Good luck
Thanks
Jeanette & Cola

Can I also ask a question to jayne?
I have read alot that tort's love butternut squash but I did try Cola with it and she wasn't at all interested. Do you just chop it up small raw or do you cook it to make it soft?

#12 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hi Jeanette
I peel the butternut squosh,i dont cook i just slice it and then cut into tiny pieces,i had read that it was a good wormer but was told on the forum that its the seeds that are the wormer i have tried mine with a seed and they have eaten it but they absolutley go mad when they see the butternut squosh,i clingfilm the rest of it and it keeps in the fridge for quite a while,but i now do lots of butternut squosh soups and cakes,so yummy!
Jayne

#13 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (jay @ Jan 25 2011, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Jeanette
I peel the butternut squosh,i dont cook i just slice it and then cut into tiny pieces,i had read that it was a good wormer but was told on the forum that its the seeds that are the wormer i have tried mine with a seed and they have eaten it but they absolutley go mad when they see the butternut squosh,i clingfilm the rest of it and it keeps in the fridge for quite a while,but i now do lots of butternut squosh soups and cakes,so yummy!
Jayne

Thanks Jayne

It's funny how each tort likes different things.. I'm going to try again.. I'll let you know what the fuss pot thinks... he he

Jeanette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users