White lines...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sophieswale_*

Guest_sophieswale_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:33 AM

Hi guys,

Just a quick question, although it probably sounds a little stupid. My tort is a two year old hermann, and she has just started developing white lines inbetween the segments of her shell. What is this? I presume it's growth but thought i'd ask incase it was something thats bad news as we've not seen this before. We've owned her for around 6 months now. Ive put a couple of pictures on, but its most clear on the underneath of her shell in the pictures, although it is on the top half of her shell too.

Also, she's (we think she's female haha), around 10cm now, I gather we need a trip to the vets for a chip? How is this inserted? Im a bit of a worrier haha

We have a lot of animals at our house, mainly dogs, cats, rabbits, chickens, ducks etc.. is she at any risk of illness from any of these?

A reply to any question would be fab,
Thanks,
Soph

Attached Files

#2 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (sophieswale @ Jan 12 2011, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys,

Just a quick question, although it probably sounds a little stupid. My tort is a two year old hermann, and she has just started developing white lines inbetween the segments of her shell. What is this? I presume it's growth but thought i'd ask incase it was something thats bad news as we've not seen this before. We've owned her for around 6 months now. Ive put a couple of pictures on, but its most clear on the underneath of her shell in the pictures, although it is on the top half of her shell too.

Also, she's (we think she's female haha), around 10cm now, I gather we need a trip to the vets for a chip? How is this inserted? Im a bit of a worrier haha

We have a lot of animals at our house, mainly dogs, cats, rabbits, chickens, ducks etc.. is she at any risk of illness from any of these?

Thanks,
Soph

I Sophie.

I think these are just her markings as Alfie also had them. BUT hopefully someone more experienced than i will come along and put your (and now mine) mind at rest.

She does indeed look like a SHE to me as her tail doesnt seem as long as a males would. (but If Freddy tells you otherwise DONT beleive him!!) hahah.. just joking Freddy smile.gif

D
x

#3 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (sophieswale @ Jan 12 2011, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Soph

hi from what i can see it looks like new growth.also at 2 years old the tail will still be underdeveloped in a male so you cant normally sex them by tail size.the only reasonable way to sex them when they are so young is by the shape of the anal scutes and predicting which way they are growing to give a hint of their eventual shape.i find it easy with my own hatchlings from about 18 months but its not so easy with pictures of other peoples youngsters.if you have a clearer picture of the anal scutes looking straight at them with the tortoise flat on its back i may be able to tell but no guarantees.
terry

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

looks like new growth to me too

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

I agree with Terry and Bruce, new growth.
I would also say you have a male there, but I am not so good on hermans:0)

#6 Guest_sophieswale_*

Guest_sophieswale_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

Thanks for all the replies!
I was just worried that the lines seemed to appear so quickly and they feel quite soft, and she winces when theyre touched.

We're not too worried about which sex she is.. its just nice to be able to call her (or him) a particular gender.. even if its wrong at the mo haha!

Anyone have any info on this chipping business?

Sophie

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (littledeedee @ Jan 12 2011, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(but If Freddy tells you otherwise DONT beleive him!!) hahah.. just joking Freddy smile.gif

D
x

ha!ha!! Nice one 'D'! laugh.gif
Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#8 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:55 PM

Hi Sophie. As I understand it, the chipping isn't essential unless you want to breed with the tortoise and sell hatchlings from it. If the tortoise is over 10cm I think you need a chip if you want to sell the tort itslef. But if you don't want to do any of those things at this time then it might be best not to get a chip inserted. There can be problems with them occasionally, and on smaller tortoises the chip can seem quite big compared to the size of the tortoises' leg. The chip is inserted into a leg using a gadget that the vets have. They often use glue to close the wound. Smaller nano-chips are being tested and these might be better if they are shown to work, but they are not in general use yet.

On younger tortoises the shell remains a little soft and flexible. This is quite normal. When you get 'rings' of new growth this is not so tough to begin with.

You also asked about diseases from other animals. I'm not at all sure about this, but tortoise keepers in general don't seem to worry about it. A lot of diseases that mamals get just don't seem to happen to reptiles.

Some other pets might be agressive to tortoises, or maybe just think the tortoise is a toy. So most of us keep other animals totally separate from their tortoises. Some keepers claim that their particular dog loves tortoises and would never harm them but others say this is dangerous.

Hope this helps a bit!

Ozric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users