He's waking up!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_SarahRoss_*

Guest_SarahRoss_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:48 AM

My 40+ year old tort hibernated naturally mid October and no problems so far however its only mid January and he's waking up. Is this normal. Temps are high for this time of year, around 12 degrees here.
Will he be ok? Its my first time hibernating him although hes been in family for 30 years

#2 Guest_SarahRoss_*

Guest_SarahRoss_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

If I leave him is there a chance he will go back to sleep or should I get him out of box. He has dug to the top, heads out and eyes opening. Mother in law used to pt him back but I heard you shouldnt, that he has hormone/chemical to kick start him that he wont produce on waking a second time. :blink:

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hi Sarah

If they are awake and moving, then you have no real choice but to get them up. I have one female adult ibera, who was in hibernation in my greenhouse. And has been coming to the surface over this week. I went to check her this morning to find she was now out and about on the surface. So have now brought her into the house. To warm her through so she is eating, then I will start the heat up in that GH. So I can put her outside again.
I also have two smaller graecas I had boxed who are now awake. They did this yesterday, one was moving in the box. So got them up and one was eating within 20mins the other within a few hours.
Not worth taking any chances once they are awake.

#4 Guest_SarahRoss_*

Guest_SarahRoss_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:22 PM

Thanks Sandy, that was my thought but its much better to have it confirmed. I must admit I am very pleased to see him, such a lovely suprise :wub:
I actually cried when he hibernated, my 14 year old daughter was like "mum why are you crying?" I explained that Strauss was asleep and we wouldnt see him for a while.... she said " Ok but you still dont need to cry!"
I will bring him in now and start the process.
Many many thanks
Sarah x

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

Sounds like your daughter has her head screwed on the right way:0) :0)

#6 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

Hi Sarah,

I'm sure there's a few of us that have shed a tear for our little shelled ones! :laugh:
Welcome back Strauss. :wub:

Paula x

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

Hi Sarah,
When temperatures exceed 10 degrees during artificial hibernation a massive amount of glucose is released by the liver glycogen into the torts bloodstream. These glucose reserves are essential for a torts survival. If you put him back into his box after he has expended these glucose reserves he would eventually wake up from hibernation lifeless. So it's important that you keep him up now that he is awake.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users