eggs cracking

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

as some of you know i am working away from home at the moment.well my big female layed six eggs in november.lorna has been looking after the incubator.four of theese eggs have craked open.she says their is a hell of a smell and dark liquid coming out!!dose anyone know why this is happening?the temps are fine and as far as i know the humidity is oc.just wondering if this is a common thing to do.they were not dew to hatch untl next week but pritty sure they were all infertile anyway

thanks

bruce

#2 Guest_Robink_*

Guest_Robink_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:54 PM

Sorry Bruce I have no idea, lets hope someone with breeding experience will come along soon. Please keep us all updated!!

#3 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

anyone sandy darran ole terry?????

thanks

bruce

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:32 PM

It could be they were not fertile and just exploded. I have not experienced this, but I know a lot of keepers have.
Its just the eggs going rotten.
Unless Lorna actually opens them up to see whats happening, you cant tell. Sometimes eggs grow a very small embryo and then for some reason they stop growing. And then go off. Sometimes the eggs just go off.
Taking pictures might help for when you get home Bruce.

#5 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

thanks sandy.i am home this weekend for a wile so will see then whats happening with them.pritty sure its day 60 now.i dont expect any to hatch as i think its to cold up here for the male to fertilze the eggs!!!

thanks

bruce

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

Thats an interesting point Bruce, I wonder if their is any evidence that the cold can impair a males fertility. It sure does not stop them trying:0)

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:06 PM

Male tort sperm has to be at a temperature of 20'Celsius or more to be fertile.
Regards
Freddy

#8 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:40 PM

thats rite freddy we hardly ever get in the 20s up here!!so this spring i am going to put halgen bulbs out side in ther run to see if this helps or leave them in the shed a bit longer before i put them out in the garden.i am going to have to get an infra red thermometer as although we dont get that high temps up here the ground temp will be a lot warmer than the air temp.so a lot to think about this spring

thanks

bruce

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Best of luck with the breeding Bruce. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#10 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:00 PM

hi sandy i have been thinking this all of last year.i had them all outside last year.i got 20 eggs last year from three diffrent females.all infertile!!the year before i got three fertile eggs from i think it was six eggs the year before but they were in the house where its a lot warmer the whole time.so i was convinced that it was a temp thing.then i got vetters book as a wee christmas prezzy to myself!!!!he talks of a of min of 21 degrees to 30 somthing.cant remember exactly.the book is really good but a bit of a head reck at times!!!!

bruce

#11 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:05 PM

Learning by experience is always the way to go Bruce, even if it is hard sometimes:0) We all make mistakes, and learn from them:0)

#12 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:08 PM

i have cracked open the last two eggs both infertile the yolk was quite gray on the outside and yellow on the inside and starting to smell pritty bad!!!so it dose look like a temp problem i have up here.i wont be beat though!!!now i think i have found the problem.bring on globle warming!!!!i have a few things diffrent to try this year!!!

bruce

#13 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 08:49 PM

Hi Bruce! Thats such a shame but I can see you are determined to get there some how. Pity your greenhouse was hit by that tornado as it might have done the trick for you. Do you think a polytunnel might be any better? If the wind got into one it would go up like a kite I suppose.

I'm sure you'll come up with something!

#14 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

cheers j,the green house did blow away!!!but i have bult a wooden one wich they loved but done most of their mating out in the garden.so i think the males are cooling outside before they mate with the females,dose not stop them trying though!!i am sure ill find away round it.i could leave them longer in the shed before i put them in the green house.their is a few things i am thinking about.

#15 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Bruce
sad to hear your news that all the eggs were infertile,let's hope next time you have more luck.
Jayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users