Testudo hermanni boettgeri or Testudo hermanni hermanni

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kimby_*

Guest_kimby_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

I was reading there are 3 different kinds of hermann's tortoises which is really confusing trying to figure out which one Mylo is. I read most are Testudo hermanni boettgeri. and most point to him being that. Please let me know what you think.
Thank you ,
Kim smile.gif

Attached Files

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (kimby @ Jan 15 2011, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was reading there are 3 different kinds of hermann's tortoises which is really confusing trying to figure out which one Mylo is. I read most are Testudo hermanni boettgeri. and most point to him being that. Please let me know what you think.
Thank you ,
Kim smile.gif

hi looks like a hercegovinensis to me but will need an other pic of his underneath tilted back.where did you get the tort?if a pet shop it could well be a hercegovinensis

bruce

#3 Guest_kimby_*

Guest_kimby_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (brucefairweather @ Jan 15 2011, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi looks like a hercegovinensis to me but will need an other pic of his underneath tilted back.where did you get the tort?if a pet shop it could well be a hercegovinensis

bruce

Thank you ill try to post another picture later. I ordered him online...a place called Florida herps (not a pet store). I sent them an e-mail for info which i should have asked for when i ordered him. They have not gotten back to me. Here they don't come with certificates not sure if thdo from breeders either. I wish i had done more reserch. But all that matters now is that he looks healthy and happy smile.gif
kIM

#4 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

all hermann tortoises should have a cert with them.its against the law to do sell them without one.i bought a tort from a pet shop and they told me it was boetgrri and it was a herc for sure its quite hard to tell somtimes

bruce

#5 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

sorry never seen you are in the states!!!!law could well be diffrent over there!!!!!

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 12:33 AM

Mylo is lovely and your photos are superb. I also think that Mylo is a Hercegoveninsis.

I'm only really any good at spotting the hermanni hermanni tortoise from the others, as that is what mine are. I don't think you have one of those and they are very unusual in the US.

The main thing is, though, you got yourself a lovely tortoise there!

#7 Guest_Ole Nielsen_*

Guest_Ole Nielsen_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

Cant see any ingunial shield .. so it should be hercegovinensis

#8 Guest_kimby_*

Guest_kimby_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (brucefairweather @ Jan 15 2011, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sorry never seen you are in the states!!!!law could well be diffrent over there!!!!!

The only law here is that it is illegal to sell any tortoise or turtle under 4 inches unless it is for educational or scientific purposes. I had to sign some kind of waiver to get Mylo. I wish there was some type of certificate with them. I think this is the way they do it to get around the law. I wouldn't want to buy him already older. We are happy that we get to watch him grow and watch as his personality develops. Thank you for your replies. We just wanted some idea of what he may be.
Thank you again, Kim

#9 Guest_kimby_*

Guest_kimby_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Ozric @ Jan 15 2011, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mylo is lovely and your photos are superb. I also think that Mylo is a Hercegoveninsis.

I'm only really any good at spotting the hermanni hermanni tortoise from the others, as that is what mine are. I don't think you have one of those and they are very unusual in the US.

The main thing is, though, you got yourself a lovely tortoise there!

Thank you. I love taking photos of anything and as the weather is not so great here right now, he is one of my main subjects. He is a lovely tortoise, nice coloring ( i know he may fade with age). We are definitely happy we decided to get him as a pet.
Thanks again for your opinion on what he may be. smile.gif
Kim

#10 Guest_kimby_*

Guest_kimby_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (Ole Nielsen @ Jan 16 2011, 05:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cant see any ingunial shield .. so it should be

Thank you. I guess its unanimous he is a hercegovinensis.
Thank you for your input smile.gif
Kim

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2011 - 08:40 PM

Hi Kim,
Mylo has a beautiful face and is a real looker. You certainly have a nice tort there. Congrats again. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#12 Guest_kimby_*

Guest_kimby_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Jan 16 2011, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Kim,
Mylo has a beautiful face and is a real looker. You certainly have a nice tort there. Congrats again. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Thank you, he really is a cutie. We are getting very addicted to him wish we had space for another. I just love watching him, they are so interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users