• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sophieswale_*

Guest_sophieswale_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

Hi folks,
Looking for some advice (again.. haha)

My little torts been sneezing a lot recently. Ive noticed it for perhaps the past 3-4 weeks, hoping it was just a little dust at first. She also seems to sneeze a lot whilst in the tub. Any ideas on this? Is she ill or am i paranoid?
The substrate in her enclosure is only about 1/3 sand to 2/3 soil so i dont think it's too sandy in there, and i dampen the substrate ocassionally to reduce dust.

Alsoooo, anyone else have a hiding tort? I'm having to block the entrance to her hidey hole for a few short periods a day as otherwise she never comes out to see us or eat. Although once i pull her out she potters about and eats normally.

Thanks,
Soph

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

Hi Sophie. Can you tell us if the nose seems dry or is it runny? Is the tort otherwise acting like it normally does? In some torts, sneezing might be a sign of RNS but not always.

I find that mine do kind of sneeze sometimes in the bath but this is because some water has gone in the wrong way and they sneeze to clear it.

Let's see what others say, but you are right to keep an eye on this and it just might be a problem.

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:52 PM

Hi Sophie,
If your torts nose is dry and there is no sign of it running then the sneezing may be caused by something in her environment or an allergy that may be triggering the sneezing. If her nose starts to run then I would have her checked out by a reptile vet if you are still worried. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Guest_sophieswale_*

Guest_sophieswale_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the answers.

Her nose is completely dry, but if its an allergy im unsure of how to find out what's affecting her... and none of the items in her enclosure have changed so i cant understand why she'd suddenly become alergic to one of them after many months.

Should I have a trip to the vet just incase?

Sophie

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

Your tortoise might well have something up her nares, that could be making her sneeze.

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE (sophieswale @ Jan 18 2011, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,
Thanks for the answers.

Her nose is completely dry, but if its an allergy im unsure of how to find out what's affecting her... and none of the items in her enclosure have changed so i cant understand why she'd suddenly become alergic to one of them after many months.

Should I have a trip to the vet just incase?

Sophie

Hi Sophie,
Sometimes household sprays or cleaners can affect a tortoise if you are using them in the vicinity of their enclosure. Dust from cleaning can also be a culprit. If you are still worried I would take her to the vet. This may put your mind at rest one way or another. Best of luck Sophie.
Kind Regards
Freddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users