Help with my tortoise table

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_david&tash_*

Guest_david&tash_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

Hello everyone

Hopefully somebody will be able to give me some advice regards to setting up my tortoise table. I have a baby Hermann tortoise and originally I had a vivarium I understand that this is a big no no, hence me buying a nice tortoise table with a exo terra solar glow 125w bulb in a moon glow holder. I am worried about the temperature under the bulb what should it be? I have difficulty in setting up the bulb to the right height to have a temp of say 35, I have the bulb set up to the highest point possible and its more like 40. Is that ok? As the table has other cooler areas as well.

Thanks

David

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

Hi David,

I'm not going to be much help here I'm afraid. :wacko:

The only thing I can comment on is your temperature, 40C is definately too hot especially as your tort is a baby. The younger torts do tend to end up on their backs quite often and at that temperature, under the bulb he would be in trouble pretty quickly.

Is there no way of raising your lamp? Perhaps attaching it to something else?

Paula x

#3 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

Hi David
I agree with Paula the temp seems a bit high,my hubby made a wooden handle on our tabletop to put the transformer on the one section and then he attached a piece of wood so you can clip on the holder of the basking light so it can be adjusted to the correct height and angle,the handle runs along the length of the tabletop only the width of the transformer so underneath the handle a uvb strip light is attached,can you attach a handle to your tabletop to get support for your light so it can then be adjusted until you get the right temp.
Jayne

#4 Guest_david&tash_*

Guest_david&tash_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:36 PM

Thanks for your replies, I have put the lamp to highest point possible, the temp underneath is approx 37oc, so I'm just going to have to slightly modify it myself. The next problem is that i think it could be too cold in his house as it's far away from the lamp so not getting much heat inside at all. I will try upload a picture soon so you can all see the set up.

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Hi David
Posting a picture would be great as it will help everyone to try and give you some advice also there are some pictures on the indoor and outdoor section which might help you.
Jayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users