Poor Dead hermann

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_tarquin_*

Guest_tarquin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:36 PM

Hi Katie,
I alawys remember going to Pets at Home a few years back and bought a hamster for 5.50, after a short while he wasnt feeding so I took him to the vet whithin the store.He said he wanted 12 to take a look at him.I just laughed at him and asked what he charged for a pet ant pointing out I could buy 2 of them for the price of looking at the one I had.I saw a list of examples on the net suggesting 37.50 for half hour consultation, bearing in mind I have 2 I think I was right about the second mortgage, also if the medication is administered by the vet will it mean 2 trips each.Me thinks should have got 2 hamsters instead. LoL

David

#22 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:54 PM

Hi David
Here's one that is reccomended but make sure you get Mr Lawton or his wife the new girl apparently didn't work out the dosage right for wormimg but underdosed the tortoise.
Ask for System x this is a one dose treatment but it has to be tube fed straight into their stomach, I have mine done like this, it's ok the vets is Lawton and Stokes in Romford (Essex)
Lawton and Stokes,
12 Fitzillian Avenue,
Harold Wood,
Romford,
Essex,
RM30QS
Tel: 01708 384444

Lawton - B. Vet. Med.; Cert. V. Opthal.; Cert. L. A. S.; C. Biol.; M. I.
Biol.; P. Zoo. Med.; F.R.C.V.S.
Hope you get on ok
Arnie

#23 Guest_tarquin_*

Guest_tarquin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:09 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-08-05 AT 10:13 PM (GMT)]cheers Arnie just nipping out to rob a bank.

David

Just edited this Simon says he had trouble at the Harold Hill one?

#24 Guest_katiew7103_*

Guest_katiew7103_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:53 PM

Yep thats the one I was talking about. Good luck. Perhaps thet do interest free credit!
Katie

#25 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:32 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-08-05 AT 02:33 PM (GMT)]Hi David,

Hope you got on okay at the vets
When the worms start to appear, you will need to be strict about hygiene to avoid re-infection of your tort. It might be best to keep him in a temporary smaller enclosure which is easier to clean on a daily basis. Throw out the hemp and clean throughly. Some torts can be a bit lethargic and miserable after worming if they have a worm load, just make sure your temperatures and conditions are suitable.
Good luck

#26 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:54 PM

Hello Jo
Your right about the hygene, I had one of my girls wormed must be 6 weeks ago now and yesterday she past a dead worm, so it's doing it's job, but takes a long time to get thngs back to normal
Arnie

#27 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:29 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your tortoise. I unfortunatley bought my 2 hermanns from a pet shop. Thankfully they survived and they are nearly 10 now. After reading all the information on this site though now I would never even think of going to a pet shop for a tortoise. However after reading your message I panicked and checked where mine came from and they too came from Wilton pet shop. I must have been lucky.

Is there nothing that can be done to stop these places selling torts? There is also one a few miles away from where I live, in Drayton, Hampshire and the tortoises all look so sad in there, marching up and down their tiny tanks. Obviously very stressed out. :-(

#28 Guest_jadums_*

Guest_jadums_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:31 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your tortoise. I unfortunatley bought my 2 hermanns from a pet shop. Thankfully they survived and they are nearly 10 now. After reading all the information on this site though now I would never even think of going to a pet shop for a tortoise. However after reading your message I panicked and checked where mine came from and they too came from Wilton pet shop. I must have been lucky.

Is there nothing that can be done to stop these places selling torts? There is also one a few miles away from where I live, in Drayton, Hampshire and the tortoises all look so sad in there, marching up and down their tiny tanks. Obviously very stressed out. :-(

#29 Guest_Joanne666_*

Guest_Joanne666_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2005 - 02:24 PM

Hi Arnie,

It took a while to come thro eh? Hope shes getting over it okay:-)

#30 Guest_desertrat_*

Guest_desertrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:11 PM

I bought mine from a reptile centre a few years ago, and after reading all of this I suppose it's a good idea to give him that "panacur liquid" just incase she has worms? Do I have to take her to the vets or can I buy the liquid myself and give it her by myself? There isn't any signs she has worms but it's beter to be safe than sorry :-)
Thanks
Rich

#31 Guest_Inca_*

Guest_Inca_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:12 PM

Hi desertrat,

You can buy Pancur liquid/paste from pharmacy's (Manor Pharmacy if you have them where you live). However, if your tort is young it can be hard to work out the dosage yourself - I mean how on earth do you give 1mg of Pancur to a struggling tort!!

Best to go to the vets and have a check up and worming together.

Inca
:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users