Out of fridge - but eyes closed!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:09 PM

All

I took my smallest girl out of the fridge this morning after losing another 1g - I put her in the spare room with no heating on to bring her round slowly and have now buried her in her table because she doesnt seem to want to wake up. She is alive and she has had a very shallow bath but she wont open her eyes. Could this take a couple of days or should I try to open them in case they are stuck?

This was my first hibernation, so not sure what I should do.

Thanks

Pat x

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

Getting them up slowly works well. Putting her into a normal room temps is next for an hour or two. Then I would put a heat over her enclosure or whatever she is kept in. She might well still bury down or under. But she needs to warm up, even if its slowly to start with. Bathing twice a day might help, if she feels cold, then up the temperature of the water you use for bating her.
What size is she Pat?

#3 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Hi Sandy.

Thanks for your reply - I am just glad that she is okay and dont mind her taking a few days to warm up properly. She is 6.5 cm and weighs in at 50g (she was 55g at the start of her wind down so I didnt want to leave her much longer) She had just under 6 weeks in the fridge which I know isnt ideal but she had lost her 10% and in total, has only put on 20g and 1.5 cm since I had her in Sept 09 and wanted to give her a good start before they go out into the garden in May.

She is having a wander around and her eyes are still half open and will give her baths twice a day for a week or so. Should I get her some "No Tears" eye drops which I am sure I have read somewhere tort owners use? Do you take yours to the vets for a post hibernation check or only if there are any problems?

I am sure that the next hibernation wont be so nerve racking but determined to do it again! The table is well planted with weeds so hopefully will see her start nibbling soon.

Thanks again.

Pat x

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

I only go to the vet if I have a problem with my tortoises.
And hibernation does get easier the more you do it. But the stress is still there, but not as bad:0)

#5 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:16 PM

Thanks Sandy - it is good to get reassurance - whatever did we do before these forums? Other than Blue Peter of course!!

She has been walking about and had a big poo - so when she buried herself down, she obviously had not emptied her gut, but all seems well.

Thanks again and good luck with yours.

Pat x

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

She would have emtied her gut, otherwise she probably wouldnt have survived the hibernation. But she might not have emptied the intestines. This is not a problem as it is the stomach.

#7 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

OMG ... something else to worry about next time!

Thanks again.

Patx

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

OMG ... something else to worry about next time!

Thanks again.

Patx
[/quote]

Lol well you have done the hibernation, so less worry next year:0)

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:04 AM

Hi Pat,
I think it would be wise to bring her to the vet for a post hibernation check. A weight loss of 10% is a significant loss in one so young. It would be just a precaution.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

As long as your tortoise is eating and drinking once they come out of hibernation, there is no need for a vet. And of course keep them warm:0)
If you have problems then of course you will need the vet, but tortoises are a lot hardier than you think.

#11 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

Thanks all for the advice, I will keep my eye on her. She is up and about in a morning (after I have dug her up) has a bath and a bask then eats before she disappears in her tunnel. It hasnt been sunny for the last couple of days (their table gets bright sunlight when its shining!) so not so active today.

Is it natural to be sluggish after hibernation? Their temps are okay and they have light (but its never as bright as natural sun which does stimulate them more). Hopefully if we get a bit of sun, I will see the difference.

Pat x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users