help my hermanns tortoise wont eat anything

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shelleytom_*

Guest_shelleytom_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:48 AM

hi im new on here and new to looking after a tortoise i got a tortoise on wednesday and so far my little steve has not eaten anything. im really worried and would really appreciante any advice thankyou xxx

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

QUOTE (shelleytom @ Feb 5 2011, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi im new on here and new to looking after a tortoise i got a tortoise on wednesday and so far my little steve has not eaten anything. im really worried and would really appreciante any advice thankyou xxx

Dont panic:0) all tortoises take a while to get used to a new way of being kept. No two keepers keep them the same. They all use the basics but with tweeks to suit you and your tortoises.
The most important thing at the moment is keeping your tortoise hydrated. So make sure you bathe him/her at least twice a day for the first few days, then once a day after that. You bathe in tepid water up to their chins. For around 20mins. Some tortoises dont like this, so make sure he/she cant see through the container.
Bathing also encourages eating. They can go without food for up to a week or more. Its just us humans think they will die without food:0)
If your tortoise has clear bright eyes and a dry nose, then its just time before he/she eats.
What species is your tortoise please?
Tell us a bit more about your set up please?
Also where you brought your tortoise from, shop or breeder?

#3 Guest_shelleytom_*

Guest_shelleytom_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

hello and thanks for your reply. i have a hermanns tortoise he/she is nearly 2 years old and i brought from a breeder. i have a tortoise table im using hemp bedding i have a 40 w basking bulb and i dont have a uv bulb but this should be arriving next week would not having the uv light make a difference to the eating?

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE (shelleytom @ Feb 5 2011, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hello and thanks for your reply. i have a hermanns tortoise he/she is nearly 2 years old and i brought from a breeder. i have a tortoise table im using hemp bedding i have a 40 w basking bulb and i dont have a uv bulb but this should be arriving next week would not having the uv light make a difference to the eating?

Maybe the 40w bulb is not warm enough. Under the light it needs to be at least 32c for tortoises to become active. So temps might be a little low, warmth does affect the eating in tortoises.
Being without UV for a week or two will not be a problem, but leaving it longer might be. As the UV helps the shell keep firm. Lack of UV causes soft shells which is not good.

#5 Guest_shelleytom_*

Guest_shelleytom_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

thankyou for the advice i will change the heat bulb and see how that goes i have checked his eyes and mouth all seems ok also i do bathe him do u have any idea how long i should do this for and what container should i bathe him in also how walm should the eater temp be thanks again xx

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (shelleytom @ Feb 5 2011, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thankyou for the advice i will change the heat bulb and see how that goes i have checked his eyes and mouth all seems ok also i do bathe him do u have any idea how long i should do this for and what container should i bathe him in also how walm should the eater temp be thanks again xx

I try and bathe my smaller tortoises for at least 15mins every day. In tepid water, not too hot, otherwise they go barmy in the water:0) I use an ice cream/margarine tub for bathing mine.

#7 Guest_terrypin_*

Guest_terrypin_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

hi ,im surprised your tortoise wont eat .normally Hermanns are greedy.what are you offering and is this the same diet as what was fed previously.

#8 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hi

I use a cat litter tray(unused of course) for Cola, she's a 5 year old Hermann. I leave her in there until she let's me know she's had enough.. she normally tries climbing out, this is normally once she has a poo and wee in there. Sometimes it's 10 minutes but can be 20 minutes.

Hope they settle in ok and you are bound to have loads more questions, so don't hesitate in asking.. we've all been there.

Regards

Jeanette & Cola x

#9 Guest_shelleytom_*

Guest_shelleytom_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

I have offered romain lettuce, dandylions, tomatoe carrots a bit of cucumber even pellet food from the pet shop and nothing has worked he had a poo for the first time this morning since i have had him but this cant be from eating anything here as i have monitored every bit of food i have put down for him, he drinks his bath water so i know he is not dehidrating maybe im just panaking and maybe its only a matter of time i hope? thanks for all your advice i will keep u all posted im going to ring the breeder i got him from tomorrow and see what they were feeding him on x

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (shelleytom @ Feb 6 2011, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have offered romain lettuce, dandylions, tomatoe carrots a bit of cucumber even pellet food from the pet shop and nothing has worked he had a poo for the first time this morning since i have had him but this cant be from eating anything here as i have monitored every bit of food i have put down for him, he drinks his bath water so i know he is not dehidrating maybe im just panaking and maybe its only a matter of time i hope? thanks for all your advice i will keep u all posted im going to ring the breeder i got him from tomorrow and see what they were feeding him on x

I think you are a little over anxious, as when tortoises are wound down for hibernation, they go without food for four weeks, and empty their stomachs. But some go on to poo in hibernation (which is fine, as the food was in the intestines not the stomach) which just goes to show how long it takes food to go through their systems.
Personally I never feed pellets and carrots, and have never in over 30yrs, and still have pooing tortoises:0)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users