lack of poo & wee

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

blush.gif Hi everyone

Cola is gravid again ( and driving me mad with her constant pacing/climbing) and I am concerned as she hasn't had a wee or poo for over 5 days. She is normally regular as clockwork and does it in her evening bath! She is continuing to eat really well and just wondered if I should be worried? I have checked her table for any signs and nothing!!

Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks

Jeanette x

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

Hi Jeanette

You could try upping the bathing to twice a day.
Or give her romaine lettuce for a day or two mixed with her food. Sometimes this goes through them quite quickly.
Dont forget their systems to take a while to go through, hibernation shows us this, when after four weeks windown with no food, they can sometimes poo in hibernation.

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Feb 5 2011, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
blush.gif Hi everyone

Cola is gravid again ( and driving me mad with her constant pacing/climbing) and I am concerned as she hasn't had a wee or poo for over 5 days. She is normally regular as clockwork and does it in her evening bath! She is continuing to eat really well and just wondered if I should be worried? I have checked her table for any signs and nothing!!

Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks

Jeanette x

Hi Jeanette,
Frequency of weeing and pooing depends on how much Cola is eating. As she is eating really well she should be passing regularly. If she is constipated then upping the bathing would certainly help. Bladder stones or an egg blockage can also be the cause of severe constipation in tortoises. I would give her another few days or so and hopefully she will have passed something by then. Otherwise a trip to the vet may be necessary to rule out the possibility of an obstruction. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

Bladder stones or an egg blockage can also be the cause of severe constipation in tortoises. I would give her another few days or so and hopefully she will have passed something by then. Freddy
[/quote]

It cant be a bladder stone, as she laid eggs just over a month ago, and it takes longer for stones to form.
And it wont be an egg blockage either, as she has passed eggs recently.
Personally I wouldnt worry Jeanette, I never know who has passed any poos here, so dont worry about it. They are all healthy with the way they are acting etc.

#5 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (cyberangel @ Feb 7 2011, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And it wont be an egg blockage either, as she has passed eggs recently.

It is probably nothing to worry about Jeanette. Hopefully she will have passed something soon. But if she hasn't a trip to the vet may be necessary to rule out the possibility of an obstruction. It is known for a newly developing egg to pinch off the intestine causing constipation. Probably not the case but something to be aware of anyway.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#6 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

well i'm pleased to say she has done a little poo, bless her, just no wee but when she was carrying last time she didn't wee for ages. I've up's her baths to at least 2 a day.
I was very excited earlier because she began nesting on her own.. her little legs were going ten to the dozen and her bum was bumping up and down.. i was like a looney.. all ready with the video camera, gathering plenty of hot water and towels.. biggrin.gif 30 minutes later and she had had enough and gave up.. I think she tired herself out as she went to bed at 2pm and is still fast asleep now wub.gif

Fingers crossed for tomorrow xx

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Feb 7 2011, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well i'm pleased to say she has done a little poo, bless her, just no wee but when she was carrying last time she didn't wee for ages. I've up's her baths to at least 2 a day.
I was very excited earlier because she began nesting on her own.. her little legs were going ten to the dozen and her bum was bumping up and down.. i was like a looney.. all ready with the video camera, gathering plenty of hot water and towels.. biggrin.gif 30 minutes later and she had had enough and gave up.. I think she tired herself out as she went to bed at 2pm and is still fast asleep now wub.gif

Fingers crossed for tomorrow xx

Hi Jeanette,
I am delighted to hear Cola has finally done a poo. That's great news. I'm sure you're relieved and will be even more so when she lays her eggs. Do you know how many she has? For sure Jeanette, you've had more than your fair share of stress with Cola being gravid again. I really hope everything works out well for you both. Fingers crossed. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#8 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

I haven't had her x-rayed this time so it's going to be a surprise!! ohmy.gif Do they lay them all in one go? She did last time but she was induced.
At least she is showing signs of nesting as last time she didn't at all hence a 283 vet bill!!!

It's lovely when other's show interest and concern about my baby, as all my non tort friends lack enthusiasm when i speak about Cola ( i do go on all the time though). biggrin.gif

I will keep you updated x

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Feb 7 2011, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't had her x-rayed this time so it's going to be a surprise!! ohmy.gif Do they lay them all in one go? She did last time but she was induced.
At least she is showing signs of nesting as last time she didn't at all hence a 283 vet bill!!!

It's lovely when other's show interest and concern about my baby, as all my non tort friends lack enthusiasm when i speak about Cola ( i do go on all the time though). biggrin.gif

I will keep you updated x

Hi Jeanette,
As far as I know Hermanns lay eggs one at a time. I'm glad to hear Cola is showing signs of nesting. So hopefully it won't be too long now. I am always interested to hear about others tortoises as I learn more. I wish you the very best of luck with Cola Jeanette. Keep us posted. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif
P.S Darran has a short video of his tort Di laying eggs in the Photo Gallery section of this forum.

#10 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:27 AM

They lay eggs one at a time.
They lay one egg, you can tell when its coming, as her head will go in and stay in for a while until the egg is laid. She then will fuss about with the egg finding the right place for it in the nest. You would think with the long nails it would damage the eggs. But they do not normally:0)
She will do this with every egg she lays. She then will cover the nest, again using the back legs. This can take as long to cover the nest as it does to dig the nest. Mine have been up to a couple of hours digging the nest.

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:43 PM

Hi Jeanette,
Just wondering how Cola is? Is her system back to normal after the eggs? And has she done a big poo and wee yet?
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#12 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Feb 20 2011, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Jeanette,
Just wondering how Cola is? Is her system back to normal after the eggs? And has she done a big poo and wee yet?
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Ah thanks for asking Freddy

She's back to normal pretty much, lots of poo's & wee's.. even decided to wee all over me on friday after i lifted her out of the bath!! ha ha..
Is Billiejo showing signs of waking up yet?
Still waiting for her first clutch of 4 eggs to hatch.. shouldn't be too long now, i'm sooooo excited.

Thanks again
Jeanette & Cola xx

#13 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Feb 20 2011, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah thanks for asking Freddy

She's back to normal pretty much, lots of poo's & wee's.. even decided to wee all over me on friday after i lifted her out of the bath!! ha ha..
Is Billiejo showing signs of waking up yet?
Still waiting for her first clutch of 4 eggs to hatch.. shouldn't be too long now, i'm sooooo excited.

Thanks again
Jeanette & Cola xx

Hi Jeanette,
Glad to hear Cola is back to herself again.'Billiejo' hasn't stirred yet but I hope to be getting her up in mid-march all going well. Thanks so much for asking Jeanette. I bet you can't wait for the first clutch of 4 eggs to hatch. How exciting that you may have hatchlings. Can't wait to hear the news. Take care and best of luck Jeanette. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users