first hibernation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_john V_*

Guest_john V_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

Hi,
I have a hermann tortoise called gordon that is approximately 3 years old. When I got him from a pet shop around a year ago I was told by the shops "expert" That they shouldnt be hibernated till atleast 3 to 4 years old. After finding this site I now know tht this is yet another bit of duff information given out by petshops :angry2:
Due to this I am going to look to start hibernating him winter this year.
I was just wondering, due to this going to be his first hibernation period for him that I know of, will he still go normally into a wind down period or will introducing this be a big shock to him? And should I hibernate him for the full time a 3 year old should be hibernated for or start off with a shorter period. Assuming that his weight and health are all good at the time ofcourse.
Can I just thank everyone for making this an excellent and very helpful site. I just wish Id found it earlier on!

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:03 PM

Most first time keepers will hibernate for the least amount of time to do any good, which is eight weeks:0)
As its always scary the first time, so a learning curve for keeper and tortoise. Great hibernation instructions on www.thetortoisehouse.com
Its useful to monitor the tortoises eating habits through the year, so that when the time comes, and your tortoise might be on the line for hibernation. You know your tortoise has been eating well and should be hibernated. Some panic at this:0) so if you know your tortoise has been healthy and eating ok, then things will be ok. Any doubts about health etc, then you can always ask here.
I have been hibernating adults for well over thirty years and smaller ones for fifteen years.

#3 Guest_john V_*

Guest_john V_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Thankyou for your reply and advice. Im sure Ill have alot more questions nearer the time to put my mind at rest. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users