GROWTH

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

maybe im being a tad para but...

there seems to be quite a significant gap all around Alfie shell where he starts doming up.
soory if I am not describing this right, he has the bottom part (like a vallence) and then where his shell starts to doom. well thes like a littl ledge inbetween where these two parts meet.

Ive noticed it slightly before and then the rest of him seems to fill it out. he is 7 now and so wouldnt of expected to see him grow much more as thought he was fully grown. is this a concern? remembering he will proberbly be bigger than most 7year ols coz he is so flat.

thanks
Dionne

#2 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

Hi Dionne. A tortoise continues to grow throughout his or her life although they stop getting bigger. So there is always new growth of the shell scutes hapenning. I don't think this should be too worrying. Because of the way that Alfie has grown I think he will always have some gaps between scutes a bit more than some tortoises seem to.

But let's see what others think too.

#3 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:39 PM

thanks John.

he normally fills out just didnt expect to see as much now.,,, what do you mean they continue to grow although they stop getting bigger?!?

ok, will stop worrying... also, i think it must itch as he loves me stroking theres... maybe it is more sensitive

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hi D,
The scutes (or shields) Oz mentioned are a modified form of skin that is continually renewed. The new scute material grows under the old and being longer shows at the edges of the scute as a 'ring'. When tortoises reach adult size at 10-20 years growth continues although the scute rings are not as noticable. They become more flattened and uniform and are smoothed into the shell. So as Oz says adult tortoises continue to grow but stop getting any bigger. Hope this explains things somewhat D. Best of luck ;) 
Kind Regards
Freddy :laugh:

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:12 AM

A picture would help us tell you more!

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

I hate to say this, but your tortoise as severe metabolic bone disease:0(
He/she looks to have suffered lack of UV at sometime, and far too much food, probably the wrong sort of diet.
Saying all that, they sometimes make the most wonderful pets. And can be the most rewarding. Unfortunately they dont usually have as long a life as a well kept tortoise. You can only do your best for the future of hiim/her.

#7 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

Sandy has maybe forgot that we have seen Alfie before! D I don't think there is any great change in Alfie. With the care that you are providing now he can have long and enjoyable life - and remember he doesn't knwo that his shell is that shape.

Ozric J

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

Not sure if I have seen him before or not, senior moment.
I am sure he has plenty of years ahead of him, especially now he is in good hands. But he probably wont make the 100+ like healthy tortoises should. But then there is always one who will prove me/us wrong.
Sorry if I offened.

#9 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:51 PM

yeah... we have established he is a special needs tort who is deformed.
he is now under a special tort Vet now and all that has caused his probs has been rectified. he is a happy lil tort that isnt in any pain.(first thing i asked!!) and apart from being so flat, dont stop him moving or BLOODY climbing! hes like a norm tort now apart from the fact he hasnt hibernated yet. hes shell had got a lot harder and thats in a matter of 4mths, so hopefully he will be able to hibernate next year.

nope, not offended Sandy, he knows no different as he has grown over time like it and so he dont know any different. John, we dont put any mirrors near him and so he dont know what he looks like. all due to lack of UV :( 

If he makes 100... we'll never know! (well, i hope not to be around to find out!)

he looks alot bigger in the piccies... he is 7 and fits on my hand and I dont have freakishly large hands for a petite lady!!

#10 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

:wub:  Ah bless him, he looked well hacked off having those pics done! he he.. he has an adorable face and it is good to hear his shell is hardening.

Is he still a monkey? does he still hate being in his table? I know how bad I felt everytime I went near Cola when she was carrying eggs, she would look so desperate to get out, climbing etc..

he is lucky to be so loved xx

#11 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Feb 14 2011, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wub.gif Ah bless him, he looked well hacked off having those pics done! he he.. he has an adorable face and it is good to hear his shell is hardening.

Is he still a monkey? does he still hate being in his table? I know how bad I felt everytime I went near Cola when she was carrying eggs, she would look so desperate to get out, climbing etc..

he is lucky to be so loved xx

Ha!
this was 1st thing this morn... he was expecting his bath and he got a photo session instead AND that was all before breakfast and thats why he wernt happy.

Oh Jeanette... he is driving me mad as I type. ive picked him off his back about 7 times today... now yourve seen him you can understand how he cant get upright on his own.
He has got himself into a lil routine, he normally starts about 8pm... so hes 15mins early tonight. he makes a racket about 8ish and i go get him and we have a cuddle on sofa... within minutes, hes asleep under me armpit.... maybe hes early coz its valentines eh!!

I do love him an thats what upsets me most knowing how ive hurt him. even his little jaw is all out of sync because of his spine sad.gif still, i would reconise him in a group of torts wouldnt i. wub.gif

did you mate Cola or do the girls just lay eggs anyway?
at least I just have Alfie getting giggy with me Barcelona slippers and none of that egg laying!! blush.gif

D
x

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

Hi D,
Thanks for posting the pics of Alfie. He is a great little fella and such a character. biggrin.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#13 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

Yes she mated. My friend has a male and looked after her while i was on holiday and he took advantage of her blush.gif
Apparantly she will have eggs every few weeks for up to 2 years... all this after one bit of hanky panky.

Cola stays in her house all day til i get home then she has a bath and she has a wander round the lounge and sleeps under her cushion in the corner. She stays there til morning, then back in her box. She had an hour in the garden today, does he go in the garden? Does Alfie eat ok?
God do you think he will ever settle down? I bet you panic when he goes on his back unsure.gif Poor little fella.. xx

#14 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:22 AM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Feb 14 2011, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes she mated. My friend has a male and looked after her while i was on holiday and he took advantage of her blush.gif
Apparantly she will have eggs every few weeks for up to 2 years... all this after one bit of hanky panky.

Cola stays in her house all day til i get home then she has a bath and she has a wander round the lounge and sleeps under her cushion in the corner. She stays there til morning, then back in her box. She had an hour in the garden today, does he go in the garden? Does Alfie eat ok?
God do you think he will ever settle down? I bet you panic when he goes on his back unsure.gif Poor little fella.. xx

Torts just get more and more facinating dont they! so, you could be a nanny within the new few years... how exciting, like Christmas every couple of weeks smile.gif

nah, i think Alfie knows he has me around his liltle claw... and that if he calls the shots, ill do it (within reason)

Yes he goes in the garden BUT get this... no matter how far up the garden i put him, he ends up siting in th shade outside the back door WAITING to climb back indoors as soon as the door is open!!
IF he does the same this year, i will put something up against the step he climbs to get there and force him to get some rays!! Im tempted to put him out as its nice and bright BUT im cold outside still so didnt want him to be cold, so will wait a week or so.

D x

#15 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:28 AM

Im tempted to put him out as its nice and bright BUT im cold outside still so didnt want him to be cold, so will wait a week or so.

D x
[/quote]

Its quite safe to put him out in bright sunshine even this time of the year, for a hour or so. Find a nice sheltered spot thats warm, preferabley on a slab that has warmed up. Once he has warmed up, and its sunny and warm, just put him in the sunshine. Just dont do it when your not there:0) He will soon tell you if its too cold, he will just head for shelter.
I must admit yesterday I was tempted to put my hatchlings out. But by the time I had sorted their enclosure, the sun had gone:0)
But it is worth putting tortoises out just for an hour to get natural UV and sun when you can.
Certainly not today its cold out today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users