- - - - -

is it ok that my tortoise only seems to eat lettuce

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_shelleytom_*

Guest_shelleytom_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:23 AM

Hi i wrote on here a while ago saying that my hermann tortoise steve would not eat anything, thankfully he seems to have settled in and has started eating, i give him a varoty of food but the only thing he eats out of everything is the romain lettuce is this ok for him to eat on a daily basis?

#2 Guest_robertsutton1978_*

Guest_robertsutton1978_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

Hi

A little bit of Lettuce is OK as part of a mixed diet, but not as the only food as there is very little goodness in it for the tortoise.
What was your tortoise fed on before you got him ? Sometimes if they are not fed a varied diet they will only eat what they are used to.
Tortoises can go for upto a month without eating as long as they are well hydrated, so I would suggest you stop offering him lettuce and just offer weeds. There's a good list of them on this site.
When he gets hungry he will start eating them instead. You could also try dripping some juice from a cucumber over his food. Tortoises seem to love cucumber and it might start him eating the other foods.
I think you've just got to persevere with him.
I'm sure some of the more experienced keepers will be able to offer you more advise.
Regards
Robert

#3 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

It sounds as though your tortoise has become a picky eater. One way to deal with this is to mix the lettuce with weeds, then gradually reduce the lettuce so he/she is only eating weeds. They are stubbon little devils, and can wind keepers around their little fingers. But you have to be strong and dont feed the lettuce. As its not a good diet all the time.

#4 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hi There,
I agree with what has been said by others. It is not good to feed tortoises solely lettuce but only as part of a mixed diet. Romaine lettuce is one of the better types of lettuce and has some nutritional value. Again, as has already been said , It should be mixed with weeds and gradually reduced over time. Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#5 Guest_shelleytom_*

Guest_shelleytom_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

hi and thankyou all for your replys, i have stopped giving him the lettuce now wich he does not seem to happy with but im sure like u say when he gets hungry he will eat, i have e mailed the breeders that i got him from and they saild they were feeding him on romain lettuce, water cress, rocket and italian style salad but im not too sure what that is? what weeds do any of u feed your tortoises on as i dont have any dandylions growing near my house or in my garden any suggestions would be great thanks x

#6 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:10 PM

Just like children, tortoises love junk foods, which continually feeding lettuce is. We all have to resort to feeding lettuce at sometime or another. But not all the time. So your tortoise will hold out to be fed lettuce.
They are strong willed, so you have to be stronger:0) And not feed lettuce for a while. Weeds are much better for him/her.
You can buy seeds on line from quite a lot of places, just put in weed seeds in the search on your computer. I am sure it will come up with lots. You can then grown your own. Which is easy.

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

Hi There,
If you don't have any dandelions or other weeds in your garden or near your house you may have to travel further afield to locate some. It would be better if you could find a safe,unsprayed source, preferably from a field or wooded area. You could make do with these until your weed seedlings have grown. If you click on edible weeds at www.tortoises.net you will find a useful guide. Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#8 Guest_shelleytom_*

Guest_shelleytom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:39 AM

thanks for all your advice will try everything out will keep u updated thankyou all

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users