Open Top Or Not Open Top...?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_avons82_*

Guest_avons82_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

hi! Hope you're all well! :rolleyes: I haven't posted on here in ages!Zippy is in the fridge, due out beginning of April, by which time I will have moved house (again! but hopefully the last time) and he will have a brand new enclosure!So cue weed seeding, planting and soiling etc! :rolleyes: Just wondering - we were always limited on the amount of space because I always make sure I have a mesh covered top, but the more and more enclosure pics I'm seeing show open top areas so I'm wondering if this is ok?I once heard a story about a seagull flying off with someone's tort and it worried me a bit! :thinking: Also are cats / foxes not a risk? Obviously he won't be out at night, but there are times when, if were out it gets dark before we bring him in. Do most of you leave your torts out at night? Sorry, it's been a while so I can't remember! :blink: thanks so much!amey :wub:

#2 Guest_brucefairweather_*

Guest_brucefairweather_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

hi,mine sleep in the greenhouse at nights in the summer.i have a bit of the garden fenced of with no net.my torts are a bit big for the birds to fly of with.no dogs can get in my garden

bruce

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

Hi Amey,Best to put a protective net or mesh over your outdoor enclosure particularly if there is a possible risk from predators. I would also bring him in at night just to be on the safe side. Hope this helps. Best of luck. ;) Kind RegardsFreddy :D

#4 Guest_avons82_*

Guest_avons82_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

cheers guys! :rolleyes: amey

#5 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

Hello Amey
My torts are housed outside in there house with enclosure but i always lock them in there house at night with padlocks for security and then each morning i open there door so they can wander in and out but when i go out i always put a mesh covering over there enclosure.
Jayne

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

Hi there. I have mesh covers which fit over the outdoors enclosure but I can take them off when I am about the garden. They are not pretty but they do a job of keeping out magpies which certainly would attack my smaller tortoises if I didn't have protection. Foxes don't worry me as they never enter the garden alhtough they do walk about the street at times. Rats do worry me but I probably cannot be 100% sure of protection against them no matter what I do.

I leave mine outside in a coldframe overnight from May onwards. The door is shut over and its fairly secure but not totally. I like to leave them outside because they settle themselves naturally for the night and get themsleves up when it is warm enough in the morn. I don't like to be picking them up constantly. The other problem I had in the past bringing them in at night was that they woke up when they came in as it was warmer, so it confused them. I've got heat and light facilities in the coldframe so I can provide what they need out there. Yes they would probably be safer indoors but I like them to live the wild life when they are outside.

A lot depends on your garden and general set-up.

#7 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:10 AM

It's also a good idea to put rigid, close, mesh a few inches undergroud to prevent them burrowing too deep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users