New incubator

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

Hi everyone

I have just purchased an incubator and was wondering if any of you have any experience with these?
http://www.amazon.co...duct/B004AJLREA. It's a Exo-Terra reptile incubator and seems to have all that's needed. It was a good price from Surrey pets £115 and I have also purchased some 'Vermiculite' in the hope that Cola does lay some more eggs.

We did think about making an incubator but hubby offered to buy me one so who am I to argue? :laugh: We have been so lucky that Sandy is incubating Cola's first 2 clutches but if she is going to keep laying I really do need to learn how to do it..

I have read lots on various websites regarding incubation but i do have a couple of questions that I can't find the answer to..

* Does the incubator have to be in complete darkness? It has a glass door and a light inside.
* when the tort starts to hatch do you keep it in the incubator or move it out straight away?

any advice is appreciated

Thanks
Jeanette & Cola x

#2 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 06:30 PM

As you know I dont have one of these, but I would think the eggs have to be in darkness. As that is what happens when laid in the ground.
Most keepers I know who have a shop bought incubator, have Hovabators, although there is a lot of choice around.

#3 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

Hi Jeanette

When Tilly laid her eggs unexpectedly last year, by the time I had got home my OH had made an incubator out of a disused vivarium. The heat source was provided by a green heat bulb, and as we were really only guided by information off the internet we did not see this as a problem.

Of the 21 eggs that Tilly laid, every egg that we thought were fertile did actually hatch. I can't say each hatchling is perfect as this is not true, but I think that was more to do with temps that were at times a bit unstable. I don't think the light caused the problem at all. This is of course only my opinion. And at times I did think maybe the eggs should be kept in the dark. If Tilly was to show signs of being gravid this year, I too would invest in an incubator, and if I am honest I would not be put off by it containing a light.

Gail
xx

#4 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:18 PM

Thanks Gail

As the door is clear I was just worried as I assumed the eggs need to be in complete darkness. There is a button on the incubator that turns a light on inside for you to quickly check on the eggs. I must admit this incubator does look good, it even comes with an in car charger, in case you have to transport the eggs! It has a tray at the bottom to fill with water for humidity and the temperature is fully controlled.

I just wondered if the incubator has to be put in a dark room? This could be a problem as I can't think where I would put it??

Thanks again and let's hope Tilly has more eggs this year! I got this from Surrey pets and it was delivered in 2 days and was £40 cheaper than everywhere else.

Jeanette & Cola x

#5 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

HI Jeanette

If you are worried, you could always tape a piece of black paper over the window. But I have to say it wouldn't worry me. I would never have given it a thought if you hadn't asked the question. Ha ha.

And thanks for letting me know where you had it from. We will await Tilly's decision on the egg laying front. lol.

Gail
xx

#6 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

OOOO

Just one other question. How many eggs has Cola had this time? I think I have missed your post. And is Sandy incubating them for you along with the others?

Gail
xx

#7 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

I know nowt about out, but I would have thought your indoor setup must be pretty good for her to lay. Only having 2 females, I don't know about incubators either.

#8 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 10:00 AM

Just one other question. How many eggs has Cola had this time? I think I have missed your post. And is Sandy incubating them for you along with the others?

Gail
Cola laid four more eggs, so have eight in all in my incubator.
And Jeanette is going to be over the moom later:0)

#9 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

ooooooh. how lovely. How long till the first ones hatch?

Gail
xx

#10 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

Hi

Look at my new post!!!! I'm a granny!!! first one hatched today... I am sooooo happy x

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:36 AM

Ohhhh Jeanette, I'm sooooooo happy for you. Congratulations. That's wonderful news. :D
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users