- - - - -

Heat Lamp

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_sweetheartblues_*

Guest_sweetheartblues_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

Just wanted to ask a question concerning heat lamps. My hermann tortoise is not far from being 2 years old, and I have been told that when it is this age, she can go outside. I do not have an adequate garden for the tortoise (too many stray dogs). But am wondering if this means I do not have to have the heatlamp on as much. Its been on all the time since I've got her, and its costing a lot in electricty. Nothing on the internet seems to have a clear answer concerning this.

Any help would be much appreciated smile.gif

#2 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (sweetheartblues @ Feb 27 2011, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wanted to ask a question concerning heat lamps. My hermann tortoise is not far from being 2 years old, and I have been told that when it is this age, she can go outside. I do not have an adequate garden for the tortoise (too many stray dogs). But am wondering if this means I do not have to have the heatlamp on as much. Its been on all the time since I've got her, and its costing a lot in electricty. Nothing on the internet seems to have a clear answer concerning this.

Any help would be much appreciated smile.gif

How many hours a day do you have the lamp on for? Tortoise can go outside near enough from the day they are born, you don't have to wait untill they're two . Could you not make/buy her a secure enclosure for her to go in when the weather gets warmer outside?
x

#3 Guest_sweetheartblues_*

Guest_sweetheartblues_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:46 PM

Heat lamp is all the time as its been cold. I have a communal garden but my mum recommends we could secure it so she doesn't get stolen/ can escape. She is too young to hibernate, so if I did this I would hve to bring her in, in the winter months. Would it be too early to bring her out now?

#4 Guest_sweetheartblues_*

Guest_sweetheartblues_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

Does anyone know how long I need to keep the heat lamp on throughout the year? smile.gif

#5 Guest_cyberangel_*

Guest_cyberangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

Firstly your tortoise can go outside in a secure enclosure such as a Rabbit Cage, or coldframe with log roll around it and a covered top. From hatching if the weather is ok. My hatchlings go outside 24/7 from May until Septemberish. With no extra heating. They do come back in again if we have a week of horrible weather for a warm up. Then they go outside again. So at two he/she has missed out on the natural weather:0(
As for hibernation, they can hibernate from their first year. But I must admit, I am too scared to hibernate any of my hatchlings if they weigh less than 30grms. Anything will get hibernated.
I take it you got your tortoise from a shop/garden center?

#6 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:06 PM

Hi, can I ask what your heatlamp is? Not being funny, sometimes this word can mean differnt things.

#7 Guest_sweetheartblues_*

Guest_sweetheartblues_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

I only bought her in August so she hasn't missed out on anything smile.gif it is a infra-red lamp. Last year in August to September I took her out everyday myself so she have some time in the sun and do some digging! I got her from a really good pet shop, thinking I could keep her in a relatives garden but this didn't happen. I am going to ask my Grandad to see if he can build an outdoor inclosure. If he can't, I will do the same as I did last year. I've got to make sure the enclosure can be locked and attached to something, as I don't want to risk my tortoise getting stolen. If I can't get her in an enclosure outside, would be alright to turn off her heat lamp for these months?

Thank you all for your responses, read lots of tortoise books, but there are some things they just don't answer smile.gif

#8 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (sweetheartblues @ Feb 28 2011, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I only bought her in August so she hasn't missed out on anything smile.gif it is a infra-red lamp. Last year in August to September I took her out everyday myself so she have some time in the sun and do some digging! I got her from a really good pet shop, thinking I could keep her in a relatives garden but this didn't happen. I am going to ask my Grandad to see if he can build an outdoor inclosure. If he can't, I will do the same as I did last year. I've got to make sure the enclosure can be locked and attached to something, as I don't want to risk my tortoise getting stolen. If I can't get her in an enclosure outside, would be alright to turn off her heat lamp for these months?

Thank you all for your responses, read lots of tortoise books, but there are some things they just don't answer smile.gif

Hi There,
An infra-red lamp is not really suitable for torts. Best to use a combined UV/Heat lamp OR a separate 60W white spot light e.g the cheap ones available in Argos, Homebase or your local supermarket and a separate UV striplight. Best of luck wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#9 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

Hi. Your tortoise does need some UVB rays for a healthy life. From the sun when outdoors and/or from a UVB lamp when indoors. Heat is important as you know, but UVB is also important. If you are unable to get your tort outside in the summer, he will need artificial UVB provided. If you keep your tortoise indoors in the winter, you will need to provide UVB with a special lamp. Either a combined heat and UVB lamp, or a UVB strip light with heat provided separately.

Hope this helps!

Ozric

#10 Guest_summer8507_*

Guest_summer8507_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

[b]I have acombined heat and uvb lamp which is on for 12 hours a day, gets turned on at 7am and off at 7pm,
my tort is normally already asleep by 6pm anyway,

i got my lamp from a website which cost 40 but lasts such a long time.
torts dont need the heat on night as far as ive been told.

my tort is 17 wks old and weve only had her 5 /6wks but ive learnt so much from here and my tort lady
and her website, in the process of building outdoor enclosure for her and her new sister who is hopefully
coming in a few months!

as you have a communal garden im really unsure what to suggest for that one??? sorry cant be more help
gem xxx
[/b]

#11 Guest_sweetheartblues_*

Guest_sweetheartblues_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

QUOTE (summer8507 @ Mar 1 2011, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[b]I have acombined heat and uvb lamp which is on for 12 hours a day, gets turned on at 7am and off at 7pm,
my tort is normally already asleep by 6pm anyway,

i got my lamp from a website which cost 40 but lasts such a long time.
torts dont need the heat on night as far as ive been told.

my tort is 17 wks old and weve only had her 5 /6wks but ive learnt so much from here and my tort lady
and her website, in the process of building outdoor enclosure for her and her new sister who is hopefully
coming in a few months!

as you have a communal garden im really unsure what to suggest for that one??? sorry cant be more help
gem xxx
[/b]

Thanks for your help, I do have a UV light and a heat lamp (both seperate), what website did you get the combined heat and uv lamp from? As that will save space. I have bought a portable enclosure so I can sit out with her, so she still gets some lovely sun!

#12 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE (sweetheartblues @ Mar 12 2011, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your help, I do have a UV light and a heat lamp (both seperate), what website did you get the combined heat and uv lamp from? As that will save space. I have bought a portable enclosure so I can sit out with her, so she still gets some lovely sun!

the new arcadia combi has good reviews and good uv out put. Comes with a 1 year guarantee 160w http://www.surreypet...-lamp-160w.html
100w http://www.surreypet...-lamp-100w.html
I got myself the 100w one. Although they give out the brightness of a 100w/160w bulb they don't give out as much heat, I've read the 160w gives out about the same heat as 120/125w bulb and my 100w seems to be giving out about the same heat as my 60w bulb was.
Hope this helps. The links i put above are the cheapest I've found them and they are very reliable x

#13 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (sweetheartblues @ Feb 27 2011, 04:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heat lamp is all the time as its been cold. I have a communal garden but my mum recommends we could secure it so she doesn't get stolen/ can escape. She is too young to hibernate, so if I did this I would hve to bring her in, in the winter months. Would it be too early to bring her out now?

Hi, let me see if i can help you out !, tortoise's hibernate the first winter , you table should have a hot end of 35c and a cool end of 20c daytime , at night they require a temp of 16/18c , they also need uv either from a combind lamp or tube , if your using a tube it should be 10%uv and should be set no higher than 6 inches above the tortoise. Regarding outside why not build a secure run with a wire top that way it will keep the dogs out.
Finally its still to cold to put them outside yet , it would need to be at least 18c. Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users