Food advice. i.e. seeds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MickyTort_*

Guest_MickyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

Hello people.
I haven't posted on here for a while because I haven't come across any questions to ask!

However, Neville is coming along fine. Loving life.
I need advice on the best seeds to buy for him to grow in my garden.
I am off to the garden shop today and to the green market to buy some weed/plant seeds.

Just wondering which is the best for him... or the best for this time or year?
He is 6months old.

Thankyou! :rolleyes:

#2 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:56 AM

Hello there, :D
I haven't bought seeds for a while, I kind of collect them and scatter them as the flowers go to seed around us. Looks a bit weird I admit as I do tend to scatter them on all my favourite weed walks! :LOL:
At the garden centres at the moment there are lot young plants which can be grown on for torty food. I recently bought pansies, violas, forget me nots, fushia, saxifrage. There were also carex grasses that make good hidey spots in an outside enclosure. These plants should be allowed to weather for a few weeks before being offered to torty. I transplant them too so that there arent any of those little fertilser balls in the soil. :rolleyes:

Paula x

#3 Guest_MickyTort_*

Guest_MickyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

thanks for reply Hettie!
yeah, i have been buying pansies and primrose and weathering them.
just fancied buying some seeds and growing my own!

i am also wondering whats the best weeds to actually dig up and plant to increase food production!
:rolleyes:

#4 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:10 AM

From my slightly fuddled memory, Primroses I think are not a suitable torty food? Could be wrong but don't feed until you've checked further.

I have tried transplanting weeds, the best results are from the young plants rather than something that is more established, the roots seem to not like being disturbed. Tis always a problem getting them to grow where you want them. I have a couple of weed beds right at the top of my garden, the stuff I want grows all around them but not actually in them!

I think the shelled warrior shop sell weed seeds. http://www.shelledwarriorsshop.co.uk/

Paula x

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:14 AM

In the plant section of our forums there are lists of edible and toxic plants, primrose is listed in the toxic section.
Have a scroll through the edibles, it might give you more ideas for the garden centre?Then take a list and be prepared to come away broke! LOL!

Paula x

#6 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

http://www.torts-n-allsorts.co.uk/ also offer a good selection of seeds for flowers n weeds for torts, this is where I get mine ;)
Also a good site for checking if things are tort safe http://www.thetortoi...database_14.asp they even have a booklet you can print out that's handy to take along to garden centres n walks etc. http://www.thetortoi...i... Jan 11.pdf As Paula said primrose is toxic BUT Evening primrose is safe, so check which one you have style_emoticons/default/wink.gif
I'm just going to plant my seeds now. :D x

#7 Guest_MickyTort_*

Guest_MickyTort_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

that torts n allsorts website looks really good thankyou!
let operate on ebay too which is extremely helpful!

thankyou!!

before reading this i went out and brought a pack of primrose seeds.
they are now in the bin haha!

#8 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hello
Evening primrose seeds are a good seed to buy,they grow quite quickly and produce a lovely yellow flower,my torts love them and they come back each year, but not had any success from other seeds chicory and vetch.
torts n allsorts are good to buy from and also shelled warriors shop.
Jayne,H,Becky and Humpty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users