Having 2Nd Thoughts About Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_james106_*

Guest_james106_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:07 PM

well i might of left it a bit late to Hibernation my 3 year old herman

the reason is 2 weeks before i started to The winding down period he started not eat or hardly anythink,,i just thought this was a good thing

now he is almost ready to go in the fridge,,im thinking mabe i shouldent becuse of this,,or maybe becuse it the first time im Hibernating him im just worried

#2 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hi James,
It seems a little late to hibernate him now. As it's a first time hibernation you should be giving him at least 8 weeks in the fridge. This means he'll be out at the start of May. It's up to you whether to hibernate him or not. Personally, I would leave it. Hopefully there will be others along shortly to offer you more helpful advice. Best of luck James.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#3 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hi James,

How long have you had your tortoise? I just ask because I think you have left it too late to hibernate him this year.

If you have only just got him it is useful to get to know him and to let him settle in before deciding to hibernate. If you have had him for a while I wonder why you are only now thinking of hibernating him?

I would keep him up and let him enjoy the whole summer. You can spend plenty of time then reading about hibernation and asking questions. Lots of people on here will be happy to help you get things right for the little fella. :D

Paula x

#4 Guest_james106_*

Guest_james106_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:58 PM

i have had him since september..i keeped telling myself to hibernate but then ill say ill do it next week n so on..pritty much read everythink about hibernating on this fourm,,

with my 50 year old went in hibernation in september but it lives in the garden most of the time and pritty much looks after him self. so when its too cold it time for him to go in hibernation...thats how the previous ownwers did it

becuse my 3 year old is alot smaller and lives indoors more its alot easyer to keep the awake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users