Worried about eyesight

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

I noticed over the weekend that Wotsit looked like he was eating air - he was very near his cuttlefish but not quite making contact. This went on for a while and I've noticed it today when he tried to have a drink. I 'think' this is new as I've noticed it since the weekend so think I'd have noticed sooner if it were the case. He seems ok though sleeping a lot recently we think.

I did 'up' his bulb from a 60w to 100w but he seemed ok with that on the whole I thought.....worried about the poor little mite now. He is eating and going to the loo ok and is moving around (I hid food upstairs on his table and he found it!) but he doesn't seem as happy as last week and is sleeping more plus the eyesight problem....

unsure.gif

What do I do? I would be able to take him to a vet Wed onwards. Do tortoises have bad eyesight and do they (hopefully) just have 'off' days/weeks like us maybe??

#2 Guest_SarahRoss_*

Guest_SarahRoss_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Wotsit @ Mar 7 2011, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I noticed over the weekend that Wotsit looked like he was eating air - he was very near his cuttlefish but not quite making contact. This went on for a while and I've noticed it today when he tried to have a drink. I 'think' this is new as I've noticed it since the weekend so think I'd have noticed sooner if it were the case. He seems ok though sleeping a lot recently we think.

I did 'up' his bulb from a 60w to 100w but he seemed ok with that on the whole I thought.....worried about the poor little mite now. He is eating and going to the loo ok and is moving around (I hid food upstairs on his table and he found it!) but he doesn't seem as happy as last week and is sleeping more plus the eyesight problem....

unsure.gif

What do I do? I would be able to take him to a vet Wed onwards. Do tortoises have bad eyesight and do they (hopefully) just have 'off' days/weeks like us maybe??

Awe I don't know but somebody here will be able to help I am sure. Its awful when they are 'off' though isnt it.
Try not to worry too much
Sarah x

#3 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

I don't know why they do it, i don't know what there eyesight is like but I think they all do it. Sometimes Cola is so lazy and is stretching her neck to eat but isn't quite getting it and seems to be eating air, It's funny to watch.. makes you feel sorry for them but I will be interested for someone more experienced to let us know x

#4 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

Alfie yawns and then smacks his gums (beak)

are you sure Wotsit hadnt just yawned?

i remember reading on here that one of their babes was blind... she noticed as his weight dropped... BUT as you say Wotsit is finding food, cant see it being an eyesite thing.
Maybe just keep an eye on him.

as a whole, I think torts eyesights are good.... Alfie runs and I mean RUNS if he sees that my totes are painted red (me nails, not me actually toes) he takes no notice if black but red he runs for thinking that they are strawberries or tomatoes I think!!

#5 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

I found Roxy doing this once and found she had a wee hair thing(thats in soil) stuck hanging out the side of her mouth. I guessed she was just trying to shift it as she stopped doing it after I removed it x

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

Hi There,
Usually when tortoises have eyesight problems their behaviour changes. Usually they will become disorientated and will move constantly around in circles bumping in to things. They can also have difficulty finding their food and often need to be hand fed. As your tortoise doesn't seem to be displaying any of these signs I don't think you need worry. He is also eating fine which is good. I would just keep an eye out for any of the behavioural changes I have mentioned. Your tortoise is also young and might not be fully able to judge distances yet. Also, the new stronger light might be affecting his vision. I would replace the 100W bulb with a 60W one to see if it makes any difference. Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#7 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 06:46 AM

Thank you all! He is certainly finding his food but seems to be hitting lucky at times like he knows where it is but luck whether he actually makes contact with it or not, the same with his water and cuttlefish. I noticed it yesterday and Sunday mainly. Def not a yawn, Wotsit used to yawn a lot but doesn't seem to now. I do get remove any 'hairs' from the soil that I see in his mouth.

I've only weighed Wotsit twice so too soon to judge on the weight-loss front I think. I've not long got the digital scales but will weigh him weekly for a while and then, all being well, I'll weigh him monthly.

As well as upp'ing the bulb from a 60w to a 100w, I also put a reflector on the UV bulb. I used to be a bit blinded by the bulb before the reflector went on and wondering whether it could be blinding him.....yet...thought it was good for them to have a reflector??

I will change the bulb from a 100w back down to a 60w. Please advise what thet emp should be as I think with the 60w it only reached 27degrees.

All your advice is MOST appreciated, thanks again!

xx

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:14 AM

Wotsit will need to warm up for all his bodily functions to work properly. 27C is not warm enough, I am not an expert but would leave the 100w bulb in (sorry Freddy rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif ) You need a temperature of 32C under the lamp, once your thermometer arrives you will be better fixed to get Wotsit's temps right.

I dont know the answer to the chewing air thing but if it is any reassurance both of my littlies do it too. wub.gif I kind of thought they were 'tasting' the smell?

Paula x

#9 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:32 PM

QUOTE (littledeedee @ Mar 7 2011, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alfie yawns and then smacks his gums (beak)

are you sure Wotsit hadnt just yawned?

i remember reading on here that one of their babes was blind... she noticed as his weight dropped... BUT as you say Wotsit is finding food, cant see it being an eyesite thing.
Maybe just keep an eye on him.

as a whole, I think torts eyesights are good.... Alfie runs and I mean RUNS if he sees that my totes are painted red (me nails, not me actually toes) he takes no notice if black but red he runs for thinking that they are strawberries or tomatoes I think!!

lol - would like to see that with the painted toes ha ha

#10 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Mar 8 2011, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wotsit will need to warm up for all his bodily functions to work properly. 27C is not warm enough, I am not an expert but would leave the 100w bulb in (sorry Freddy rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif ) You need a temperature of 32C under the lamp, once your thermometer arrives you will be better fixed to get Wotsit's temps right.

I dont know the answer to the chewing air thing but if it is any reassurance both of my littlies do it too. wub.gif I kind of thought they were 'tasting' the smell?

Paula x

Hiya, I have got the digital therm now but the 60w seems to be 27 degrees and the 100 w seems to be about 36 degrees so one extreme to the other I haven't seen a wattage in between 60 and 100

#11 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

Thanks for all your help again - at least none of you seem to think it to do with the new reflector! I think we'll make an appointment with a vet tomorrow. I have been given two numbers to call as there isn't anyone local re tortoises which is a shame

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hi There,
You may have to lower your 60W light and bring it closer to your tortoise if it is only registering 27 degrees. You will also find a useful guide to lighting for young tortoises by clicking on the Care Of Hatchlings link at the top of your screen. Darran recommends the use of a white 50W halogen spotlight as a heat light for young tortoises. Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#13 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Mar 8 2011, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi There,
You may have to lower your 60W light and bring it closer to your tortoise if it is only registering 27 degrees. You will also find a useful guide to lighting for young tortoises by clicking on the Care Of Hatchlings link at the top of your screen. Darran recommends the use of a white 50W halogen spotlight as a heat light for young tortoises. Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Hi, I did try repositioning the 60w bulb but I'll def try again. Thanks!

#14 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:26 PM

QUOTE (Wotsit @ Mar 8 2011, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hiya, I have got the digital therm now but the 60w seems to be 27 degrees and the 100 w seems to be about 36 degrees so one extreme to the other I haven't seen a wattage in between 60 and 100

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item230ee476d1
Any good? x

#15 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

Hi again,
I have looked at the pics of Wotsit's new revamped home and I think the heat light is ideally placed. In fact, for safety, I don't think it would be wise to lower it any further. You could always higher the 100W bulb but I think the light it emits is still a little strong. Cara's 75W bulb suggestion sounds like a good compromise to me. If it all possible I would go with that. Hope this helps. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#16 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Mar 8 2011, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi again,
I have looked at the pics of Wotsit's new revamped home and I think the heat light is ideally placed. In fact, for safety, I don't think it would be wise to lower it any further. You could always higher the 100W bulb but I think the light it emits is still a little strong. Cara's 75W bulb suggestion sounds like a good compromise to me. If it all possible I would go with that. Hope this helps. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Thanks, I will look out for one - no luck so far. The bulb is at the highest point it can be at the moment. I will be looking for a 75w!!

#17 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (Wotsit @ Mar 9 2011, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks, I will look out for one - no luck so far. The bulb is at the highest point it can be at the moment. I will be looking for a 75w!!

Cara has provided an ebay link for a 75W bulb a few posts back. Maybe you could try it. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#18 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Mar 9 2011, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cara has provided an ebay link for a 75W bulb a few posts back. Maybe you could try it. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Ok, I'll look for it - thanks!

#19 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 8 2011, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^^^^^^there it is biggrin.gif^^^^^^
QUOTE (Wotsit @ Mar 9 2011, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok, I'll look for it - thanks!

#20 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:42 PM

Thanks - that's about half the price of the 60w I bought and more than twice the price of the 100w lol (live and learn with tortoises eh!?)
The fitting here is a bayonett but I know you can get something to convert bayonet to screw-in if they don't do this as a bayonet that is.
Many thanks!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users