Pregnacy? Help! First time for me breeding tortoises.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AdamB_*

Guest_AdamB_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hi, The female has been with me for a while now untill a recently got her a patner.
leading up to yesturday she has been acting very differnt like Scratching, Climbing and frantical runing around the table, she also is eating less.
Then at about 9pm last night the male began chasing her very fast and head butting her, until she stopped running away then he did what he had to do. He then whent for something to eat and after about 20mins it started agian Chasing and headbutting untill she stopped and he was at it again huh.gif.
So im guessing she is now pregnat, but their enclosure is layed with a section of hay and that wood chipping stuff from the pet shop.
I will now section the enclosure off make a soil section.
So i realy need some advice on; How deep i should have the soil? What soil should i use? Should i keep the male away from the soil section if she does lay eggs. should I add some differnt food to their diet, may b a Cuttlefish bone? How long do i have untill she will drop her eggs? and will she definatly drop them even if she isnt comfortable.

Any advise would help realy.

my table is quite large i will later on take some pictures of the torts and the table.

i am 15 so i go to school is it important to be there?

Thanks

#2 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (AdamB @ Mar 11 2011, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, The female has been with me for a while now untill a recently got her a patner.
leading up to yesturday she has been acting very differnt like Scratching, Climbing and frantical runing around the table, she also is eating less.
Then at about 9pm last night the male began chasing her very fast and head butting her, until she stopped running away then he did what he had to do. He then whent for something to eat and after about 20mins it started agian Chasing and headbutting untill she stopped and he was at it again huh.gif.
So im guessing she is now pregnat, but their enclosure is layed with a section of hay and that wood chipping stuff from the pet shop.
I will now section the enclosure off make a soil section.
So i realy need some advice on; How deep i should have the soil? What soil should i use? Should i keep the male away from the soil section if she does lay eggs. should I add some differnt food to their diet, may b a Cuttlefish bone? How long do i have untill she will drop her eggs? and will she definatly drop them even if she isnt comfortable.

Any advise would help realy.

my table is quite large i will later on take some pictures of the torts and the table.

i am 15 so i go to school is it important to be there?

Thanks

Hi Adam,

dont panic... someone will come and give you some advice.

I cant Im afraid as I dont have any experience but others do.

regards
D

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

Hi Adam,
Unfortunately I am not very experienced when it comes to breeding and eggs. However you will find a useful guide-Egg FAQ under the section 'Captive Breeding' by clicking on 'Articles' at www.tortoisetrust.org. Hopefully there will be others along shortly to offer you more helpful advice. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#4 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

Hi Adam

How old are your torts? Just because you have caught them mating does not mean 100% she will be pregnant but her change in behaviour does make me think she may be already, probably from being mated a while ago..
It is really important that you keep the male away from the female if they are in an indoor enclosure as the constant biting and butting from the male will cause the female to suffer stress and this affects their breathing etc..
There is no set time scale for eggs to develop in tortoises (mine develops eggs after approx 8 weeks after laying her last batch) if your female is acting erractic (gravid) even when separated from the male then she is close to laying her eggs.. She will climb things, constantly move around and scale the walls looking for a suitable nesting site.

The soil needs to be moist and very deep.. at least the same length as your tort or deeper if poss and on a slope is a good idea. It has to be under your heat lamp, as they like to lay in warm soil. You will know when she is ready to lay as she will dig a nest (hole) with her back legs..

When you get to this stage then please ask away as everyone on here has some very good advice.. I know from experience as they helped me when my tort Cola was gravid (ready to lay eggs) for the 1st time..

Good luck
Jeanette

#5 Guest_AdamB_*

Guest_AdamB_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Attached File  SDC11588.JPG   1.5MB   10 downloads
QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Mar 11 2011, 10:00 PM)
st='45131']Attached File  SDC11587.JPG   1.59MB   6 downloads[
Hi Adam

How old are your torts? Just because you have caught them mating does not mean 100% she will be pregnant but her change in behaviour does make me think she may be already, probably from being mated a while ago..
It is really important that you keep the male away from the female if they are in an indoor enclosure as the constant biting and butting from the male will cause the female to suffer stress and this affects their breathing etc..
There is no set time scale for eggs to develop in tortoises (mine develops eggs after approx 8 weeks after laying her last batch) if your female is acting erractic (gravid) even when separated from the male then she is close to laying her eggs.. She will climb things, constantly move around and scale the walls looking for a suitable nesting site.

The soil needs to be moist and very deep.. at least the same length as your tort or deeper if poss and on a slope is a good idea. It has to be under your heat lamp, as they like to lay in warm soil. You will know when she is ready to lay as she will dig a nest (hole) with her back legs..

When you get to this stage then please ask away as everyone on here has some very good advice.. I know from experience as they helped me when my tort Cola was gravid (ready to lay eggs) for the 1st time..

Good luck
Jeanette

Thanks a lot for the advice you have given me so far smile.gif.I will hopefully start to extend the table tomorow.
The female weighs 275g and the male weighs 524g, if that makes any differnce.

Attached Files

#6 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (AdamB @ Mar 12 2011, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Attached File  SDC11588.JPG   1.5MB   10 downloads

Thanks a lot for the advice you have given me so far smile.gif.I will hopefully start to extend the table tomorow.
The female weighs 275g and the male weighs 524g, if that makes any differnce.

Hi welcome to the forums smile.gif
Nice looking torts wink.gif how many do you have all together? x

#7 Guest_AdamB_*

Guest_AdamB_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 12 2011, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi welcome to the forums smile.gif
Nice looking torts wink.gif how many do you have all together? x

Cheers smile.gif i have 3 altogeather.
Them 2 that are on the photo and a realy little one
that i dont think u can c very well. smile.gif

#8 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:50 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum,i have no experience of breeding yet but hopefully one day as i have two females and one male,all the best, there a few people on the forum who can give you great advice.
Jayne,H,Becky and Humpty

#9 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hi Adam

How is your female? I was reading your post again and I noticed that she is quite small, only 275g.. I think this may be too small to carry eggs??? I may be wrong, however the vet said Cola was unusually very young & small to lay eggs and she weighs 975g!! she is 5 years old.

Hope they are all ok

Jeanette x

#10 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (AdamB @ Mar 12 2011, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cheers smile.gif i have 3 altogeather.
Them 2 that are on the photo and a realy little one
that i dont think u can c very well. smile.gif

I did spot the 3rd lil one in the pic of your enclosure and just wondered if there were anymore hiding away lol x

#11 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 13 2011, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did spot the 3rd lil one in the pic of your enclosure and just wondered if there were anymore hiding away lol x

could you tell me the length of this tortoise SCL ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users