Rented accommodation

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hello! I am brand new to this forum!

I have wanted to get a tortoise for a long while and I feel I now know enough about theirs care needs and requirements to get one.
My only problem is I live in rented accommodation and I am not sure how they would feel about me having. I was wondering if anyone else here lives in a rented property and has a tortoise?

I was also wondering if anyone could recommend a good breeder to me? I live in Hampshire.

Hope everyone is well!

Lyds x

#2 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 13 2011, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello! I am brand new to this forum!

I have wanted to get a tortoise for a long while and I feel I now know enough about theirs care needs and requirements to get one.
My only problem is I live in rented accommodation and I am not sure how they would feel about me having. I was wondering if anyone else here lives in a rented property and has a tortoise?

I was also wondering if anyone could recommend a good breeder to me? I live in Hampshire.

Hope everyone is well!

Lyds x

Hi Lyds and welcome to the forum biggrin.gif
I live in a rented house and my landlord is fine with us having them and our dog biggrin.gif
He always asks about them and has a wee look when he calls in lol
I would contact your landlord an check though rather than find out after getting one that they are not happy about it rolleyes.gif
Here's a list of breeders here not sure if any are close to you http://www.tortoise-...ListApr2011.pdf
Best of luck finding a shelled friend x

#3 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

Oh that's fantastic thank you! I have been told to stay clear of pet shops for tortoises but was having trouble finding a breeder so that is brilliant smile.gif

I think I shall ring the landlord tomorrow then as I am getting very excited and have even starting making an indoor enclosure out of an old bookcase! I feel I may be getting a bit ahead of myself but I can't help it haha.

You have some gorgeous tortoises!!

Lyds xx

#4 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2011 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 13 2011, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh that's fantastic thank you! I have been told to stay clear of pet shops for tortoises but was having trouble finding a breeder so that is brilliant smile.gif

I think I shall ring the landlord tomorrow then as I am getting very excited and have even starting making an indoor enclosure out of an old bookcase! I feel I may be getting a bit ahead of myself but I can't help it haha.

You have some gorgeous tortoises!!

Lyds xx

Your welcome smile.gif To be honest I find most landlords have problems with puppies n kittens, the type of animals that can destroy their property blink.gif as when I was looking at where I live and asked about being allowed to have my dog they wanted to know how old it was first happy.gif
I think if you can get from a breeder that would be you best option, you may have to wait a while before one becomes available though but would deffo be worth the weight wink.gif.
People do buy from pet shops though and get healthy wee torts just think you need to be carefull wink.gif
Thanks I love my torts we have the two but would love to get one more rolleyes.gif
we're a friendly bunch here so if there's anything you need to know don't be afraid to ask biggrin.gif
Please let us know how you get on with the landlord 2moz, fingers crossed for you x

ETA just had a quick look on ad trader and found http://www.adtrader....and_305235.html

#5 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 13 2011, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your welcome smile.gif To be honest I find most landlords have problems with puppies n kittens, the type of animals that can destroy their property blink.gif as when I was looking at where I live and asked about being allowed to have my dog they wanted to know how old it was first happy.gif
I think if you can get from a breeder that would be you best option, you may have to wait a while before one becomes available though but would deffo be worth the weight wink.gif.
People do buy from pet shops though and get healthy wee torts just think you need to be carefull wink.gif
Thanks I love my torts we have the two but would love to get one more rolleyes.gif
we're a friendly bunch here so if there's anything you need to know don't be afraid to ask biggrin.gif
Please let us know how you get on with the landlord 2moz, fingers crossed for you x

ETA just had a quick look on ad trader and found http://www.adtrader....and_305235.html

Yeah hopefully it should be okay. I think somewhere in the lease it said we may have to pay a little bit extra into the deposit just in case of damages to the property but I doubt they'd be too worried with a tortoise smile.gif
I'm wondering whether I should get 2 tortoises really. Do they like to have company?
And thank you! I now know where I can go when I have any queries!
I'll let you know how it goes biggrin.gif Eeee I am so excited!
Thanks for the ad! They live quite near me too so once I have heard back from the landlord I shall give them a call!
Really appreciate your help!
Lyds x

#6 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:27 AM

Most tenancy agreements say no pets, but if you check with the landlord that should be fine, but if electricity's included, I wouldn't mention the heat lamp! blush.gif If you answer an ad, make sure it is bred in the UK. If you google tortoise breeders in hampshire, you will find a couple, including Dunton Tortoise World.

#7 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 14 2011, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah hopefully it should be okay. I think somewhere in the lease it said we may have to pay a little bit extra into the deposit just in case of damages to the property but I doubt they'd be too worried with a tortoise smile.gif
I'm wondering whether I should get 2 tortoises really. Do they like to have company?
And thank you! I now know where I can go when I have any queries!
I'll let you know how it goes biggrin.gif Eeee I am so excited!
Thanks for the ad! They live quite near me too so once I have heard back from the landlord I shall give them a call!
Really appreciate your help!
Lyds x

Tortoises are fine by themselves and with company I think, I'm sure if you get one you'll be wanting another though wink.gif that's what happened with me lol
The only thing is you may need to seperate them when they are older. Hope you get the ok from the landlord x

#8 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

QUOTE (Lin @ Mar 14 2011, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most tenancy agreements say no pets, but if you check with the landlord that should be fine, but if electricity's included, I wouldn't mention the heat lamp! blush.gif If you answer an ad, make sure it is bred in the UK. If you google tortoise breeders in hampshire, you will find a couple, including Dunton Tortoise World.

Unfortunately I have to pay my own electric haha. I will make sure they're bred in the UK. Is that because it puts too much stress on the tortoise to have to travel from another country or is it something else?
I will give google a go! Thank you smile.gif xx

#9 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 14 2011, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tortoises are fine by themselves and with company I think, I'm sure if you get one you'll be wanting another though wink.gif that's what happened with me lol
The only thing is you may need to seperate them when they are older. Hope you get the ok from the landlord x

I think I may get the one for now then. As you said I will probably end up wanting more! I tried calling my landlord today but couldn't get through to her so will get my other half to try for me tomorrow!
xx

#10 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hello and welcome
I hope all goes well with the landlord,let us know how you get on.
Jayne,H,Becky and Humpty

#11 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (jay @ Mar 14 2011, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello and welcome
I hope all goes well with the landlord,let us know how you get on.
Jayne,H,Becky and Humpty

Aw thank you! I will do! Fingers crossed it is good news!
x

#12 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 14 2011, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I may get the one for now then. As you said I will probably end up wanting more! I tried calling my landlord today but couldn't get through to her so will get my other half to try for me tomorrow!
xx

Ah gutting, hopefully you will get hold of her 2moz then wink.gif
I think if torts are shipped it can cause stress and I'm sure this can lead to illness sad.gif Also captive bread uk torts are more likely to be handled on a regular basis etc and less likely to be full of worms etc.
The ones in the ad I put up for you are uk captive bred and are only babies, sooo cute makes me want another lol x

#13 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 14 2011, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah gutting, hopefully you will get hold of her 2moz then wink.gif
I think if torts are shipped it can cause stress and I'm sure this can lead to illness sad.gif Also captive bread uk torts are more likely to be handled on a regular basis etc and less likely to be full of worms etc.
The ones in the ad I put up for you are uk captive bred and are only babies, sooo cute makes me want another lol x

I have gotten so excited I honestly don't know what I would do if she said no ohmy.gif
Aww, how big are your little torts? And how old are they? x

#14 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

I will make sure they're bred in the UK. Is that because it puts too much stress on the tortoise to have to travel from another country or is it something else?

Yes, stress is a big factor, but also they very often come with worms and other parasites and nasty diseases. (A lot of us have spent a lot of money getting them well again) Also the conditions they are kept in before they get to the pet shop leaves a lot to be desired. They are mixed with many other batches, increasing the chances of cross infection. Having a slow metabolism it can take months to show up. Having said that, of course, many people have no problems. It is much nicer just for them to go straight from one home to it's new home and they're usually cheaper too.

Darran breeds torts in Cardiff, which may not be too far. A good portion of us have his babies. wink.gif

#15 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Lin @ Mar 15 2011, 08:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will make sure they're bred in the UK. Is that because it puts too much stress on the tortoise to have to travel from another country or is it something else?

Yes, stress is a big factor, but also they very often come with worms and other parasites and nasty diseases. (A lot of us have spent a lot of money getting them well again) Also the conditions they are kept in before they get to the pet shop leaves a lot to be desired. They are mixed with many other batches, increasing the chances of cross infection. Having a slow metabolism it can take months to show up. Having said that, of course, many people have no problems. It is much nicer just for them to go straight from one home to it's new home and they're usually cheaper too.

Darran breeds torts in Cardiff, which may not be too far. A good portion of us have his babies. wink.gif

Oh thanks for the info! I'm so glad I came on here, I literally would've walked into a pet shop none the wiser and probably bought a whole load of things I don't need and are bad for the little tort!
Thanks again Lin! x

#16 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:52 PM

We spoke to our land lady today and she said "Ohh I have always wanted a tortoise! I don't see why that would be a problem."
Hooray!! laugh.gif
I'm so excited!
So in the indoor enclosure I have so far got top soil to put in it, a flower pot for a hide and a bath.
I also have found a UVB and heat bulb. Do I need a special lamp for it or can they go in any desk type lamp?
And is there anything else that I need?

#17 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 15 2011, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We spoke to our land lady today and she said "Ohh I have always wanted a tortoise! I don't see why that would be a problem."
Hooray!! laugh.gif
I'm so excited!
So in the indoor enclosure I have so far got top soil to put in it, a flower pot for a hide and a bath.
I also have found a UVB and heat bulb. Do I need a special lamp for it or can they go in any desk type lamp?
And is there anything else that I need?

YAY!!! Very pleased for you smile.gif did you give that number a ring?
What uv heat bulb is it?
Here is a list I put on here before I got Roxy to check if I'd missed anything

Thick pieces of slate
pebbles
cuttle fish
limestone
nutrobal
3x digital thermometers (2 for use 1 for spare)
digital scales
plug timer
fiddle sticks
caliper
got tort safe weed n flower seeds growing
small litter tray for bath
diary to note weight and size etc
Cobi Bulb
Light fitting
Light stand

hope this is of some help to you wink.gif
I got free slate sample to feed them off will get link for you. will get some links and pm them to you.
My two are almost 8&7 months old biggrin.gif I got them from Darran that Lin mentioned x

#18 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 15 2011, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
YAY!!! Very pleased for you smile.gif did you give that number a ring?
What uv heat bulb is it?
Here is a list I put on here before I got Roxy to check if I'd missed anything

Thick pieces of slate
pebbles
cuttle fish
limestone
nutrobal
3x digital thermometers (2 for use 1 for spare)
digital scales
plug timer
fiddle sticks
caliper
small litter tray for bath
diary to note weight and size etc
Cobi Bulb
Light fitting
Light stand

hope this is of some help to you wink.gif
I got free slate sample to feed them off will get link for you. will get some links and pm them to you.
My two are almost 8&7 months old biggrin.gif I got them from Darran that Lin mentioned x

My goodness! ohmy.gif I left quite a few things out didn't I! haha.
The bulb is a Full Spectrum UVA + UVB + Heat Lamp 125W (screw-in).
Is that suitable?
Thanks for those links! They will come in very handy! Especially those free samples!
I haven't called that number yet, will call tomorrow morning. Too late in the evening to call now I think.
You've been such a help!
Lyds x

#19 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 15 2011, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My goodness! ohmy.gif I left quite a few things out didn't I! haha.
The bulb is a Full Spectrum UVA + UVB + Heat Lamp 125W (screw-in).
Is that suitable?
Thanks for those links! They will come in very handy! Especially those free samples!
I haven't called that number yet, will call tomorrow morning. Too late in the evening to call now I think.
You've been such a help!
Lyds x

Yeah that's fine biggrin.gif is it the solar glo?
Yeah you will need a ceramic holder I use the deep dome as the light fits inside and doesn't stick out of the bottom, I did start out with another but with the tort table being opasite to where we sit it shone in our eyes unsure.gif http://www.surreypet...mp-fixture.html I did start out with http://www.surreypet...glow-light.html The lights do need to be pointing straight down so you will need something to hang it from where hight can be adjusted to reach the correct temps.
If your building your own you could attach a light hanger like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4aa93311d4 if not you can buy them http://www.surreypet...-x-20-38cm.html

3x digital thermometers (2 for use 1 for spare) -you don@t really need three but i got one at hot end and one at cool end you could just have the one and move it to check you can pick them up cheap enough on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4aa9674459
digital scales
plug timer-not really needed but handy to have so your lights go on and off same time each day and only a 1 @ B&Q
fiddle sticks- not needed just some bendy sticks i use to break it up a bit
caliper- could just use a tape measure
small litter tray for bath- could use an ice cream tub
diary to note weight and size etc- just a cheap note pad
Cobi Bulb
Light fitting
Light stand
and some reptile safe Disinfectant
Decorations, more hides etc I've just added as I've gone along biggrin.gif

OMG.... sorry for rambling on blush.gif wacko.gif x

#20 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

Hi there!

Welcome to the forum. biggrin.gif

I'm another one with Darran's babies... he gets about a bit! tongue.gif biggrin.gif

There is a link at the top of the page, hatchlings for sale.

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users