Rented accommodation

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 15 2011, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah that's fine biggrin.gif is it the solar glo?
Yeah you will need a ceramic holder I use the deep dome as the light fits inside and doesn't stick out of the bottom, I did start out with another but with the tort table being opasite to where we sit it shone in our eyes unsure.gif http://www.surreypet...mp-fixture.html I did start out with http://www.surreypet...glow-light.html The lights do need to be pointing straight down so you will need something to hang it from where hight can be adjusted to reach the correct temps.
If your building your own you could attach a light hanger like this one http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4aa93311d4 if not you can buy them http://www.surreypet...-x-20-38cm.html

3x digital thermometers (2 for use 1 for spare) -you don@t really need three but i got one at hot end and one at cool end you could just have the one and move it to check you can pick them up cheap enough on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4aa9674459
digital scales
plug timer-not really needed but handy to have so your lights go on and off same time each day and only a 1 @ B&Q
fiddle sticks- not needed just some bendy sticks i use to break it up a bit
caliper- could just use a tape measure
got tort safe weed n flower seeds growing
small litter tray for bath- could use an ice cream tub
diary to note weight and size etc- just a cheap note pad
Cobi Bulb
Light fitting
Light stand
and some reptile safe Disinfectant
Decorations, more hides etc I've just added as I've gone along biggrin.gif

OMG.... sorry for rambling on blush.gif wacko.gif x

Oh you have been so helpful! Have ordered some things from the surreysupplier website. Had to order a different bulb as the one I wanted to get was sold out!:(
I have pretty much sorted everything I need now from your list! Except a little tort of course but hopefully I will be sorting that out tomorrow hehe biggrin.gif
I will let you know if we have any luck with this ad I will call up about tomorrow.
Lyds x

#22 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Mar 15 2011, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there!

Welcome to the forum. biggrin.gif

I'm another one with Darran's babies... he gets about a bit! tongue.gif biggrin.gif

There is a link at the top of the page, hatchlings for sale.

Paula x

Hello! smile.gif He has been a busy bee! So you are one big family here then tongue.gif
I will go check out that link.
I'm very excited indeed.
Lyds x

#23 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 16 2011, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh you have been so helpful! Have ordered some things from the surreysupplier website. Had to order a different bulb as the one I wanted to get was sold out!:(
I have pretty much sorted everything I need now from your list! Except a little tort of course but hopefully I will be sorting that out tomorrow hehe biggrin.gif
I will let you know if we have any luck with this ad I will call up about tomorrow.
Lyds x

Hi
What bulb did you end up getting?
Are building a table or have you already built one? I took the lazy option and bought mine haha
Hope you find a shelled friend soon smile.gif x

#24 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 16 2011, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi
What bulb did you end up getting?
Are building a table or have you already built one? I took the lazy option and bought mine haha
Hope you find a shelled friend soon smile.gif x

It's a solarglo one from one of the websites you recommended. A very good price too!
I'm turning a bookcase into a tortoise table as I am trying to save money where I can!
I rang up about that ad you sent me and the guy wasn't at home at the time so we're supposed to call back later this evening! Eeee biggrin.gif
I think I am driving everyone at work potty talking about tortoises all the time!
xx

#25 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 16 2011, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a solarglo one from one of the websites you recommended. A very good price too!
I'm turning a bookcase into a tortoise table as I am trying to save money where I can!
I rang up about that ad you sent me and the guy wasn't at home at the time so we're supposed to call back later this evening! Eeee biggrin.gif
I think I am driving everyone at work potty talking about tortoises all the time!
xx

Ooh fingers crossed then, hope it's good news biggrin.gif
Loads of people do this. Tip incase you dont know is to buy some stronger wood to replace the back of the bookcase as the soil can be pretty heavy and to line it with a shower curtain or some lino or some pond liner etc to waterproof it up to where the soil will sit.
Well nobody will get fed up of you talking torts here wink.gif x

#26 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 16 2011, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooh fingers crossed then, hope it's good news biggrin.gif
Loads of people do this. Tip incase you dont know is to buy some stronger wood to replace the back of the bookcase as the soil can be pretty heavy and to line it with a shower curtain or some lino or some pond liner etc to waterproof it up to where the soil will sit.
Well nobody will get fed up of you talking torts here wink.gif x

My boyfriend said he didn't pick up the phone this time and will try again tomorrow sad.gif Can't seem to find many other ads for little torts nearby either.
I'm just being impatient though!
Thanks for the tip! Didn't even think to strengthen the back.
Do you think you'd ever get any more tortoises?
xx

#27 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 16 2011, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My boyfriend said he didn't pick up the phone this time and will try again tomorrow sad.gif Can't seem to find many other ads for little torts nearby either.
I'm just being impatient though!
Thanks for the tip! Didn't even think to strengthen the back.
Do you think you'd ever get any more tortoises?
xx

Ah Gutting, know what you mean though I'd be the same I have no patients and hated having to wait for my 1st one to hatch lol
Well worth the wait though wub.gif

Yeah deffo want to get another 1 we've not really got any room for more than that sad.gif If we had the room and money I'd have a few of a couple of different species.
They're amazing wee things x

#28 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 16 2011, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ah Gutting, know what you mean though I'd be the same I have no patients and hated having to wait for my 1st one to hatch lol
Well worth the wait though wub.gif

Yeah deffo want to get another 1 we've not really got any room for more than that sad.gif If we had the room and money I'd have a few of a couple of different species.
They're amazing wee things x

Did you get your as an egg then?
Will definitely be worth the wait biggrin.gif

What other species do you think you'd get?
My friend has a gorgeous little mediterranean spur thighed tort.

Oooh I need to have a look at that tortoise food chart to see what they can and can't eat

xx

#29 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

Hi Lyds & Cara

Hopefully I have some hatchlings due to hatch late April if you're interested?? I really want all my hatchlings to go to really loving homes. So many people say to me oh I would like a tortoise but I want to test their dedication...as they are soooo precious to me. I'm in kent by the way..xx

#30 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Mar 17 2011, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Lyds & Cara

Hopefully I have some hatchlings due to hatch late April if you're interested?? I really want all my hatchlings to go to really loving homes. So many people say to me oh I would like a tortoise but I want to test their dedication...as they are soooo precious to me. I'm in kent by the way..xx

Hello Cara, I would be very interested indeed! Would be nice to know they are coming from a loving home too. My only worry is the journey, I'm not sure how well tortoises travel. It would take me about an hour and a half in the car I think. Is that too long for them to be travelling?

Well getting a tortoise isn't something to be taken lightly because of how long they live and their special requirements so I can understand why you wouldn't want your hatchlings going to just anyone. That's why I have waited so long to get one. So if there is anything you want to ask me too asses my suitability feel free! biggrin.gif

xxx

#31 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 16 2011, 11:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you get your as an egg then?
Will definitely be worth the wait biggrin.gif

What other species do you think you'd get?
My friend has a gorgeous little mediterranean spur thighed tort.

Oooh I need to have a look at that tortoise food chart to see what they can and can't eat

xx

No didn't get an egg but when I contacted Darran his eggs had yet to hatch so had to wait for them to hatch and then a month before I got one happy.gif
This seems like a lifetime to someone with no patients rolleyes.gif
I'd love to get some hermanni hermannis, some marginated torts and some Indian Stars but I doubt this will ever happen unsure.gif x

#32 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 17 2011, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Cara, I would be very interested indeed! Would be nice to know they are coming from a loving home too. My only worry is the journey, I'm not sure how well tortoises travel. It would take me about an hour and a half in the car I think. Is that too long for them to be travelling?

Well getting a tortoise isn't something to be taken lightly because of how long they live and their special requirements so I can understand why you wouldn't want your hatchlings going to just anyone. That's why I have waited so long to get one. So if there is anything you want to ask me too asses my suitability feel free! biggrin.gif

xxx

I mean Hello Jeanette! blush.gif Sorry I got confused...hehe
xx

#33 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Mar 17 2011, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Lyds & Cara

Thanks for the offer Jeanette but sadly your a bit far from me it's a 4 hour trip from here to Kent, or so google maps tell me unsure.gif laugh.gif
totally understand why you would be choosey I'd be exactly the same x

#34 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 17 2011, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No didn't get an egg but when I contacted Darran his eggs had yet to hatch so had to wait for them to hatch and then a month before I got one happy.gif
This seems like a lifetime to someone with no patients rolleyes.gif
I'd love to get some hermanni hermannis, some marginated torts and some Indian Stars but I doubt this will ever happen unsure.gif x

Oh I see! Awww I bet it felt like forever. Did you get Indie and Roxy from Darran?
Aww they are so beautiful.
I guess you would need a lot of space!
xx

#35 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 17 2011, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh I see! Awww I bet it felt like forever. Did you get Indie and Roxy from Darran?
Aww they are so beautiful.
I guess you would need a lot of space!
xx

Yeah got them both from Darran smile.gif Got Roxy and went back a couple of months later for Indie after nagging the hubby laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
He loves them now though and has been bitten buy the tort bug wink.gif
Did you hear anything back from the breeder you called yest? x

#36 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 17 2011, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah got them both from Darran smile.gif Got Roxy and went back a couple of months later for Indie after nagging the hubby laugh.gif rolleyes.gif
He loves them now though and has been bitten buy the tort bug wink.gif
Did you hear anything back from the breeder you called yest? x

My boyfriend is trying to make out as though he isn't excited but I can tell he is!
No he seems to be impossible to get hold of. We have left our number so I don't know what to do?
What kind of digital scales do I need by the way? Do they need to be specifically for animals or could it be kitchen scales?
xxx

#37 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 17 2011, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My boyfriend is trying to make out as though he isn't excited but I can tell he is!
No he seems to be impossible to get hold of. We have left our number so I don't know what to do?
What kind of digital scales do I need by the way? Do they need to be specifically for animals or could it be kitchen scales?
xxx

Shame no ones got back to you yet, I'd maybe try again, maybe they've forgotten to call back or maybe the message wasn't passed on?
Yes digital kitchen scales are fine wink.gif x

#38 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 17 2011, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Shame no ones got back to you yet, I'd maybe try again, maybe they've forgotten to call back or maybe the message wasn't passed on?
Yes digital kitchen scales are fine wink.gif x

Yeah I think I will try again.
Can I get just get cuttlefish from an ordinary pet shop?
Sorry I keep asking so many questions all the time!
xx

#39 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 17 2011, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I think I will try again.
Can I get just get cuttlefish from an ordinary pet shop?
Sorry I keep asking so many questions all the time!
xx

Yeah just the stuff you can buy at any pet shop for the birds wink.gif
You will need nutrabol as well to sprinkle a lil pinch on their food daily.
Another good link with foods to feed when there's not many weeds about (all I can find just now is dandelion that shouldn't be fed everyday unsure.gif ) http://www.tortoisetrust.org/enews/
No worries more than happy to help x

#40 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hi

The torts can travel ok as long as they are in a container they can't see out of and that it's not too hot, otherwise they can become active. If you make it dark and cool they will just sleep during the journey but would need a bath when they get home...

I would be so happy to know they would be going to a loving home.. and I can tell by your questions that they would be spoilt rotten!! wub.gif wub.gif

I have posted some pics of Cola's babies and I know I am biased but they are sooooo gorgeous. wub.gif

I have had Cola micro chipped and just waiting for all her paperwork before I can register any babies and get their certificates..

Let me know if you are interested.. I am incubating them at 32c so they should be females!

Jeanette & Cola xx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users