• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 17 2011, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah just the stuff you can buy at any pet shop for the birds wink.gif
You will need nutrabol as well to sprinkle a lil pinch on their food daily.
Another good link with foods to feed when there's not many weeds about (all I can find just now is dandelion that shouldn't be fed everyday unsure.gif ) http://www.tortoisetrust.org/enews/
No worries more than happy to help x

Okey dokey, I should have some nutrabol on order.
Thanks for the link!
I honestly sometimes wonder how people ever survived without the internet!
Thanks Cara smile.gif
xx

#42 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Mar 17 2011, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

The torts can travel ok as long as they are in a container they can't see out of and that it's not too hot, otherwise they can become active. If you make it dark and cool they will just sleep during the journey but would need a bath when they get home...

I would be so happy to know they would be going to a loving home.. and I can tell by your questions that they would be spoilt rotten!! wub.gif wub.gif

I have posted some pics of Cola's babies and I know I am biased but they are sooooo gorgeous. wub.gif

I have had Cola micro chipped and just waiting for all her paperwork before I can register any babies and get their certificates..

Let me know if you are interested.. I am incubating them at 32c so they should be females!

Jeanette & Cola xx

Hello Jeanette, that's good to know. I would get a container then. Would I put some substrate in there?

I am glad you can see they'd be loved! wub.gif

The pictures of cola's babies are absolutely gorgeous! Only had a quick look so will have another peek in a moment smile.gif

I am definitely interested! How long after they're hatched would I have to wait until they're ready?

Ooohh this is exciting smile.gif

Lyds
xxx

#43 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

Just as soon as I get their paperwork, I'm not too sure how long that takes?? I will know more when Cola's new paperwork comes then i will contact Defra, who issue the certificates. I am thinking they should hatch about 20th of April.. roughly..
When mine travel I put them in a tupperware box lined with soft kitchen towel and then some soil, that way they can dig down if they want. I then either use a little coconut house to cover them up or a cloth of some sort leaving a gap for air..

Cola's first 2 babies were sooo tiny only 7 grams and fit easily in a teaspoon.. Are you thinking one or two? I must admit having 2 together is very entertaining, the way the climb over each other and fall asleep cuddled up.. wub.gif

xx

#44 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Mar 17 2011, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just as soon as I get their paperwork, I'm not too sure how long that takes?? I will know more when Cola's new paperwork comes then i will contact Defra, who issue the certificates. I am thinking they should hatch about 20th of April.. roughly..
When mine travel I put them in a tupperware box lined with soft kitchen towel and then some soil, that way they can dig down if they want. I then either use a little coconut house to cover them up or a cloth of some sort leaving a gap for air..

Cola's first 2 babies were sooo tiny only 7 grams and fit easily in a teaspoon.. Are you thinking one or two? I must admit having 2 together is very entertaining, the way the climb over each other and fall asleep cuddled up.. wub.gif

xx

Okey dokey biggrin.gif I was thinking of taking a couple of weeks off when I first get them and I live directly above where I work so when I am back at work I could either bring their enclosure down or keep popping up. We have a really big patio and it has a big vegetable patch box out there which is about 1.5m x 1.5m
Do you think for the time being that would be okay until we move to a place with a proper garden?
And thanks for the travel tips!

Initially I was thinking of just getting one but now I don't know! I could imagine 2 being so cute together!
How much are you little torts?

xxx

#45 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:08 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 17 2011, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okey dokey biggrin.gif I was thinking of taking a couple of weeks off when I first get them and I live directly above where I work so when I am back at work I could either bring their enclosure down or keep popping up. We have a really big patio and it has a big vegetable patch box out there which is about 1.5m x 1.5m
Do you think for the time being that would be okay until we move to a place with a proper garden?
And thanks for the travel tips!

Initially I was thinking of just getting one but now I don't know! I could imagine 2 being so cute together!
How much are you little torts?

xxx

They are cute together Indie is always following her big sister around wub.gif and as I said before when you've got one you WILL want another wink.gif
If you got one from Jeanette now and then say two months down the line wanted another but Jeanette didn't have any, if you were to get one from some where else it would need to be put in quarantine for at least 6months, just so you know biggrin.gif
I used one of these to get my two http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4cf5150227 and filled the bottom half with top soil.
x

#46 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 17 2011, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are cute together Indie is always following her big sister around wub.gif and as I said before when you've got one you WILL want another wink.gif
If you got one from Jeanette now and then say two months down the line wanted another but Jeanette didn't have any, if you were to get one from some where else it would need to be put in quarantine for at least 6months, just so you know biggrin.gif
I used one of these to get my two http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item4cf5150227 and filled the bottom half with top soil.
x

Thanks for the info, so I would they just have to be in different enclosures or different rooms too??

That carrier looks perfect!

Ooohhh exciting biggrin.gif
xx

#47 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 17 2011, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the info, so I would they just have to be in different enclosures or different rooms too??

That carrier looks perfect!

Ooohhh exciting biggrin.gif
xx

Just different enclosures would be fine I think not 100% though as my two went straight together as they'd both came from Darran unsure.gif
Bet you can't wait now happy.gif
x

#48 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 17 2011, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just different enclosures would be fine I think not 100% though as my two went straight together as they'd both came from Darran unsure.gif
Bet you can't wait now happy.gif
x

I honestly can't wait at all!
Is so exciting!
They're such lovely creatures wub.gif
xxx

#49 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 17 2011, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I honestly can't wait at all!
Is so exciting!
They're such lovely creatures wub.gif
xxx

They are so, dont expect to get anyhouse work done for a while and you can say goodbye to your fave tv programmes for a while too as all your time will be spent watching your new shelled baby wub.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
when you've got your table set up if you want to ad pics on here we can advise you if anything needs moving about etc.....
Sure you'll have great fun doing it all x
x
x

#50 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:25 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 17 2011, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They are so, dont expect to get anyhouse work done for a while and you you say good buy to your fave tv programmes for a while too as all your time will be spent watching your new shelled baby wub.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif
when you've got your table set up if you want to ad pics on here we can advise you if anything needs moving about etc.....
Sure you'll have great fun doing it all x
x
x

That would be great actually!
And would give me something fun to do whilst I am waiting!
I've ordered most of the bits and bobs so will get on with doing that shortly.
Aww I think that's what I am most looking forward to, just watching them and getting to know their characters and stuff
biggrin.gif
xxx

#51 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (Lyds123 @ Mar 17 2011, 11:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would be great actually!
And would give me something fun to do whilst I am waiting!
I've ordered most of the bits and bobs so will get on with doing that shortly.
Aww I think that's what I am most looking forward to, just watching them and getting to know their characters and stuff
biggrin.gif
xxx

I love doing the table out always buying bits n bobs to add to it, will be doing it tomorrow biggrin.gif
They really are tiny when young, I will c if I can find the pics of Indie and Roxy next to a 50p to show you now x

#52 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 18 2011, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love doing the table out always buying bits n bobs to add to it, will be doing it tomorrow biggrin.gif
They really are tiny when young, I will c if I can find the pics of Indie and Roxy next to a 50p to show you now x

How often do you clean the enclosure and things?
My things for the enclosure should be arriving early next week! Can't wait!
I would love to see some pictures of when they were smaller smile.gif
xxx

#53 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:50 PM

got them biggrin.gif
Roxy

Indie

It's hard to tell how small they really are in a pic without something next to them to compare x

#54 Guest_Lyds123_*

Guest_Lyds123_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Oh they look so adorable! wub.gif
What little cuties.
You really can't tell until there's something next to them in pictures.
xxxx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users