Harriet is making nests

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Paulus_*

Guest_Paulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

Hi guys and girls

New to this site but thought I would share the news our tort Harriet. We introduced her a while ago to timmy our new male hermans and she has been gravid for a week or so now but this morning was the first time we have seen her digging a nest in the soil box :-) we have the incubator all set up, but one point we are not sure about is how much water to add to the vermiculite??
she has now walked away from the nest and is stomping up and down again!!
We are going to deepen her soil box later, am I right saying topsoil is best??

Cheers for any help, I will update when we know more :-)

#2 Guest_littledeedee_*

Guest_littledeedee_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:27 PM

Hi Paulus...
welcome and congrats to you and Harrit smile.gif)) how exciting,

Im afraid i dont have any experience on preggers torts but hopefully someone will come along and help out

D

#3 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Paulus @ Mar 14 2011, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys and girls

New to this site but thought I would share the news our tort Harriet. We introduced her a while ago to timmy our new male hermans and she has been gravid for a week or so now but this morning was the first time we have seen her digging a nest in the soil box :-) we have the incubator all set up, but one point we are not sure about is how much water to add to the vermiculite??
she has now walked away from the nest and is stomping up and down again!!
We are going to deepen her soil box later, am I right saying topsoil is best??

Cheers for any help, I will update when we know more :-)

Hi, The soil at the nest site needs to be around 12 deep and also needs to be 30c , to do this set a heat lamp above on a dimmer stat with the probe sitting on the top of the soil. You dont say what type of incubator you use but in general i dont add water to the vermiculite , instead i place small containers next to the eggs with water in them for the humidity.

#4 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hi paulus
welcome to the forum,sounds like some good news.
congratulations
Jayne,H,Becky and Humpty

#5 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

Hi

I don't add water to the vermiculite either, the incubator I use which is a shop bought one has a slide out tray at the bottom for the water. Cola attempted lots of nests before she was happy enough to lay. I make sure the topsoil is deeper than she is long. (if you get what i mean)..

Good luck xx

#6 Guest_Paulus_*

Guest_Paulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Mar 14 2011, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

I don't add water to the vermiculite either, the incubator I use which is a shop bought one has a slide out tray at the bottom for the water. Cola attempted lots of nests before she was happy enough to lay. I make sure the topsoil is deeper than she is long. (if you get what i mean)..

Good luck xx

Wow that deep?? I've got a bigger box but it doesn't leave her a lot of room to move around other than the soil box and not sure I will be able to find the eggs when she lays! :-(

I'm afraid we got caught out with the vivarium thing but they spend most of the summer outside anyway.
I take all of you are using tort tables? Hoping soon to be able to have more room indoors for a table, at the moment units above would make it unsafe to have an open topped table! Please don't judge me on this!

#7 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

Nobody will judge you as anyone can tell you want what is best for your tort.
Cola refuses to lay her eggs in her normal tort table, so we made a smaller version of a table but deeper and I put this on the floor next to her normal house..surrounded by newspaper I leave the front sides down and allow her the freedom to roam around indoors, this is because if she is shut in she will not attempt to dig but uses all her energy trying to escape. I found she then took her time digging directly under her heat lamp.. I did feel like i was on time team digging to find the eggs and boy are they deep!

Do you have any floor space where you could put down some kind of box? This is assuming you don't have any other pets etc..

It is a worrying time, trust me I know only too well rolleyes.gif

Good luck xx

#8 Guest_Paulus_*

Guest_Paulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:05 PM

Fraid we have a dog so cant really allow her to roam! We are trying to get another set up to allow us to set her up properly but lamps, thermostats and uv all adds up! Missed out on a eBay set-up :-(
We possibly may also be getting a large guinea pig cage so
I think that would work if can also get the other bits!

I understand we must not rotate the eggs after they have laid for a while but roughly how long is that while? Just thinking if they roll whilst we didthem out? Sorry for all the qeuestions just want the best for them!

Thanks fir the advice on the water in in incubator!!

#9 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Paulus @ Mar 14 2011, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fraid we have a dog so cant really allow her to roam! We are trying to get another set up to allow us to set her up properly but lamps, thermostats and uv all adds up! Missed out on a eBay set-up :-(
We possibly may also be getting a large guinea pig cage so
I think that would work if can also get the other bits!

I understand we must not rotate the eggs after they have laid for a while but roughly how long is that while? Just thinking if they roll whilst we didthem out? Sorry for all the qeuestions just want the best for them!

Thanks fir the advice on the water in in incubator!!

for the first day after there laid they would not come to any harm if turned , but once there at the correct incubating temp they must not be turned. hope this helps

#10 Guest_Paulus_*

Guest_Paulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:27 PM

Yes that helps thanks, just was worried if we were at work when she lays and we didn't move them for a few hours but from you say that will be ok! Feeling so much better informed now! All peacefull at the mo both torts snuggled up under their cork logs! We have separated them by the way to stop him hassling her to much but I think he misses her !!

#11 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about leaving them a while under the dirt, I had to leave mine where they were laid for 2 days, but kept the heat lamp on 24/7 over that spot as someone else was incubating them for me at first. I then took a small spoon and gently dug around until i found the tip of the eggs then picked them out in the exact position they were laid and popped them in the dish ready for incubating.

It's an exciting time and that doesn't go.. xx

#12 Guest_Paulus_*

Guest_Paulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:19 PM

Wahhhooo after digging for a couple of hours this morning we came home this afternoon to find Harriet had laid her first egg, she was down eating some food so after we gave a long bath and took that time to move the egg the incubator, is it normal to just lay one? We have put the dirt box back in just incase she has more!

Roll on 100 days to see if we have a baby!!!

Thanks to everyone who has given advice so far

Sooo happy and we also have another set if heating and lighting equipment coming on saturday so we can be ready for the baby or give Harriet a nice rest from timmy!!

#13 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:30 PM

wow... that's fantastic news... I think to lay just one is unusual?? Are you sure you have had a good look? Cola's first clutch hatched after 64 days!!!

good luck xx

#14 Guest_Paulus_*

Guest_Paulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

We had a good dig around after we found the first one but could see no more, is it possible she will cover the neat have a break then go back and dig another nest?
Will post a picture of the egg later on, is it normall for it to be more rugby ball shaped than round?

#15 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE (Paulus @ Mar 15 2011, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wahhhooo after digging for a couple of hours this morning we came home this afternoon to find Harriet had laid her first egg, she was down eating some food so after we gave a long bath and took that time to move the egg the incubator, is it normal to just lay one? We have put the dirt box back in just invade she has more!

Roll on 100 days to see if we have a baby!!!

Thanks to everyone who has givene advice so far

Sooo happy and we also have another set if heating and lighting equipment coming on saturday so we can be ready for the baby or give Harriet a nice rest from timmy!!

100 days ????? , hermann eggs on average take between 54/70 days to hatch ,it seems strang to only lay one egg !

#16 Guest_Paulus_*

Guest_Paulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

opps looks like i may have read that wrong about the time taken, this is our first clutch so im only going on what ive read from various web sites but thanks for correcting me.

when i left home harriet was up in the dirt box again digging so i guess she may have more to lay! least the first one is out of her way now and no chance of her damaging it.

roll on 54/70 days hehe

do you think its a problem she has only laid one??

Attached Files

#17 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Paulus @ Mar 15 2011, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
opps looks like i may have read that wrong about the time taken, this is our first clutch so im only going on what ive read from various web sites but thanks for correcting me.

when i left home harriet was up in the dirt box again digging so i guess she may have more to lay! least the first one is out of her way now and no chance of her damaging it.

roll on 54/70 days hehe

do you think its a problem she has only laid one??

I don't think it's a problem but i would say it is very unusual to lay only one egg.. If she is digging again then she must have more to lay I would watch her carefully to see if she is having any problems.. unsure.gif
I have never seen Cola lay, she always does it when i am at work sad.gif
Once she has laid she will probably be really hungry and will need a nice long soak in a bath! She deserves to be totally pampered!! wub.gif

Go girl!!! xx

#18 Guest_Paulus_*

Guest_Paulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

Harriet did seem to really enjoy the bath we gave her, did stop short of sented candles though!
She did start to dig when we put her back in but is having a well deserved sleep now! Maybe more eggs tomorrow

#19 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Paulus @ Mar 15 2011, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Harriet did seem to really enjoy the bath we gave her, did stop short of sented candles though!
She did start to dig when we put her back in but is having a well deserved sleep now! Maybe more eggs tomorrow

Bless her wub.gif wub.gif
Night Night wub.gif harriet.. I always wonder if they have sore bot bot's after laying such big eggs??? he he x

#20 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

Hello there,

Welcome to the forum biggrin.gif

Best of luck with the eggs, well done Harriet!

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users