They're up

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Hettie, Bailey and Baby Boo have come out of the fridge today. :)

So happy to see them but am a little concerned about Baby Boo, he doesn't want to seem to wake up properly. I left him at room temperature for nearly 4 hours, then at lunch time popped him under the heat lamp for a couple of hours before giving him a bath. He tucked himself deep into his shell and stayed there throughout the bath, afterwards he was still quiet. I put him next to a pile of weeds, he did take two mouthfuls. I found the lamp was creating too much heat and he moved away from it but was trying to bury himself in a pile of stone. I popped him into his pot hide and left him for an hour. When I got back he has completely buried himself in his pot. Fingers crossed when the lights come on in the morning he will make his way back out? Is there anything else I should be doing? I will dig him up in the morning before work.

Paula x

#2 Guest_gail69_*

Guest_gail69_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hi Paula

Glad they are all up safely. When I got Tom and Tiny up, I was really suprised. Tiny (who has always been more quiet and reserved) was raring to go. But Tom went into his hide and dug down. I got him up in the morning and put him under his light and he just stayed in his shell all day. when his lights went out he went back to bed. But the next morning he came out on his own, and although a little quiet, he was much more awake and aware of his surroundings. So hopefully Boo is just taking some waking up.

Gail
xx

#3 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

Hi, You don't say what the temps are where you have him , also what the light levels are ? , in the mean time try soaking him with reptoboost in the water .

#4 Guest_jay_*

Guest_jay_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

Hello Paula
Great to hear your little one's are awake,it took my Becky a bit longer than H after hibernation to get back to normal i increased her baths for a few days and that helped,would you have time to bath her before going to work to see if that helps,best of luck
Jayne,H,Becky and Humptyx

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

Hi Chris,

Well this is the thing, I have just bought all new lighting and heating for the shed. Last week when the weather was cooler the test run all went well.
The basking spot is fine, but the shed is very well insulated and the temperature in there rose to 25C. Although with an infa red zapper thingy there were still cooler spots of down to 19C available at ground level.
I have a reptiglo 2 daylight strip, a reptisun 10 UV strip, a low watt compact daylight bulb in a dark corner and a ceramic heat lamp 100W.
I have tubular heaters set at 14C at night and 21C in the day on a thermostat.

I will have to try and get some Reptiboost quickly.

Paula x

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:47 PM

Hi Paula,
Glad to hear Hettie, Bailey and Boo made it through hibernation OK. That's great news. I would agree with Gail it can take a while for a torts system to get going again after hibernation. Boo is eating which is a good sign. I would just keep him warm along with plenty of baths. He should come round in the next day or two. Best of luck. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#7 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

Hi, Paula,

You need a basking spot of 35c ( day time ) , halogen lamps are good to create heat , reptoboost is very good to hydrate tortoise's that have just came out of hibernation ,its also good to stimulate feeding.

#8 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

Thanks guys,
Yes Jayne, he shall have a bath before I leave for work, so fingers crossed! Ooooh! :blink:
I didn't realise that reptiboost actually stimulated appetite, thankyou.
The basking spot I had to lift a little as the temperature was a bit high at 38C I wondered if he had got too warm but it was only for a short time.
Thanks again for the advice I shall keep you updated...

Paula x

#9 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:32 PM

Bet your glad to have them back Paula :D Sure baby Boo will be stomping around in no time :) Look forward to some pics n an update ;)
x

#10 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

Hi Paula,
Glad you made it back from Scotland safely. Were your pockets heavy? :rolleyes: Glad they're up. I've got one more week to go. Baby Boo sounds like me in the morning.

#11 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

Hi Paula

Glad they are all okay. My last one has been up 4 weeks now, after having trouble with my fridge. They too were a bit sluggish so I have moved their table to a south facing window and put an additional UV light in their table. It did take them a couple of weeks to get going though, and they are still tucked up by 4 in the afternoon but they are putting on weight (a little too much at the moment) and hopefully this will reduce when they are outside and having to travel further for food.

Pat x

#12 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:02 PM

Good news chaps, :) Baby Boo is doing better. :wub:

I've managed to order some Reptiboost to collect from the vet tomorrow. Couldn't track any down locally. :wacko: Not sure I will need it now but I'm sure it will be useful to keep.

Baby Boo had his first bath this morning but when I left for work there was only a little nose showing out of his shell. When I got back he was where I had left him (need a torty cam!)
He had a second bath and I was soooo relieved to see him drink. I gave him some weeds and he has eaten well.

He still isn't very active but hopefully will be tomorrow.

I've taken some pics and will post them once I remember my photobucket passwords! :wacko:

Thanks for all your replies. :D And Lin, I was told I could only come home with a new tortoise if I found one with a tartan shell!! :laugh: (we'll see about that!!)

Paula x

#13 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thats great news Paula, once you get the reptoboost a good soak or two in it should make a difference

#14 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

Thanks Chris, :D

Did I read somewhere that the reptiboost needed rinsing off or something like that?

Paula x

#15 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:42 PM

Hi Paula
Glad to hear baby Boo is doing better today, hope Baylie and Hettie are doing well to.
Look forward to seeing those pics ;) x

#16 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:54 PM

yes thats right , i soak them with the reptoboost first then soak them in clean water .

#17 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

Ah thanks! I don't know how you manage with your lot... :D :rolleyes: Hatchling bathtimes must be chaos!

Paula x

#18 Guest_BeatBeat_*

Guest_BeatBeat_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:36 AM

Good to hear that things are improving. Having only had my two a few weeks now I've not 'been though' this stage yet. It must be such a relief for you all when they get through the winter safely.

BeatBeat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users