PLEASE HELP. Shell problems.. Please.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jenniphur_*

Guest_jenniphur_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

2 days ago I bought a tortoise from a pet shop...
I was busy trying to feel their weight and look for dry nose and eyes that when i got home, I could see where my hand was hiding the damage on the shell.
one of the scutes fell off that night and underneath is damaged and crusty. I took it back to the shop the next day and the owner had just been broken into so had no tortoise left. He didnt know what was wrong but said he would look into it and come back next week to see how it is. two days later, more scales are coming off, revealing very nasty infected areas underneath. Is this tortoise in pain? I don't want to take it back to exchange it for another one, knowing that its not going to get any care. My nearest reptile vet is a considerable distance away.. concidering it was like this when I got him. no local vets know. Is this shell rot? Or worse? What do I do for now? Im treating it with betadine.. keeping it dry. Im heading to the pet shop in the morning...
Please help, Im so upset that he might be in pain.
Sorry for my blabbing and awful writing! I just need advice asap.

Thanks....

#2 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (jenniphur @ Mar 16 2011, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 days ago I bought a tortoise from a pet shop...
I was busy trying to feel their weight and look for dry nose and eyes that when i got home, I could see where my hand was hiding the damage on the shell.
one of the scutes fell off that night and underneath is damaged and crusty. I took it back to the shop the next day and the owner had just been broken into so had no tortoise left. He didnt know what was wrong but said he would look into it and come back next week to see how it is. two days later, more scales are coming off, revealing very nasty infected areas underneath. Is this tortoise in pain? I don't want to take it back to exchange it for another one, knowing that its not going to get any care. My nearest reptile vet is a considerable distance away.. concidering it was like this when I got him. no local vets know. Is this shell rot? Or worse? What do I do for now? Im treating it with betadine.. keeping it dry. Im heading to the pet shop in the morning...
Please help, Im so upset that he might be in pain.
Sorry for my blabbing and awful writing! I just need advice asap.

Thanks....

send me some pictures to ellamc@yahoo.co.uk

#3 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (brontie1328 @ Mar 16 2011, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
send me some pictures to ellamc@yahoo.co.uk

hope i helped , its 100% shell rot which is a infection caused by bad husbandary , if you only bought this tortoise 2 days ago i don't understand why a pet shop would sell it in that condition , demand your money back because it tells me this shop dosn't care.

#4 Guest_Lin_*

Guest_Lin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:33 AM

If you do decide to keep him, keep all receipts and documentation from shop and vets. Ask him to pay and if he won't, take him to the small claims court (and hope it is the SMALL claims court) As it's shown up so soon, there must also be some authority that deals with the welfar of animals sold in shops you could tell. Which ever way you go it will probably be heart-wrenching. It may be worth considering getting your money back and getting one from a UK breeder. Best of luck, we all feel for you.

#5 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

This is so shocking!! poor tortoise sad.gif

Please keep us all updated on the little fella x

#6 Guest_summer8507_*

Guest_summer8507_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:15 PM

Poor little tortie!!! Hope he gets better, must be so worrying for you! Bl**dy pet shops! mad.gif
Let us know how you get on hun xxx

#7 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:36 PM

Awww, poor little thing! sad.gif

Please let us know what happens and how you get on.

Paula x

#8 Guest_jenniphur_*

Guest_jenniphur_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

Thanks so much! When I got him it was just a tiny mark on the shell, then it literally fell apart. I'm treating it every day, and the wee guy is eating well and lively!! I brought the photos to the pet shop.. (I already brought the tortoise back to show him the next day) He really didn't help at all! He just said he would contact the breeder, but hadn't seen it before. I was so cross as I give that shop a lot of business! He just said just keep doing what your doing and said it wasn't a big deal! I was so cross!! Well at least I will give it the help he needs, becase I know deep down that if I did swap it (which I wouldn't now) it wouldn't get the proper care!
Thanks for your help!!

#9 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

Hi Jenny,
Sorry to hear about the little guy and your treatment by the pet shop owner. This little chap is in good hands now that's for sure. Please let us know how he gets on.
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#10 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

My tortoise Hettie had shell rot when I got her too, although like you I didn't realise at the time.

She didn't lose scutes but the shell rot needed attention from the vet. It had to be cut out and filled with an epoxy resin. She needed a long course of antibiotics. Her treatment was expensive.

I know you say the vet is a long way from you but do you think it would be worth giving them a ring and asking their opinion as to whether they think the little fella is in pain? And if this can be helped?

Everything crossed for the little one! wub.gif

Paula x

#11 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (jenniphur @ Mar 18 2011, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks so much! When I got him it was just a tiny mark on the shell, then it literally fell apart. I'm treating it every day, and the wee guy is eating well and lively!! I brought the photos to the pet shop.. (I already brought the tortoise back to show him the next day) He really didn't help at all! He just said he would contact the breeder, but hadn't seen it before. I was so cross as I give that shop a lot of business! He just said just keep doing what your doing and said it wasn't a big deal! I was so cross!! Well at least I will give it the help he needs, becase I know deep down that if I did swap it (which I wouldn't now) it wouldn't get the proper care!
Thanks for your help!!

It is important to check the whole shell for signs for infection , its starts off looks like the top layer is comming away, all these areas need the top layer removing to stop it eating into the bone underneith , then clean using Tamodine mixed with a little water , these areas really need a good scrub with a nail brush daily for a week to kill any infection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users