Billiejo's up

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

Hi All,
Took Billiejo out of hibernation today.It was such a relief to see her again after 5 months, particularly as we had a bit of an upheavel with a house move over the summer. She has now made it successfully through her 30th year of hibernation with me. It was as great to see her now as it was 30 years ago when she was first hibernated. All smiles in the McGavin household. :D
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

#2 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

YAY!!! How she doing Freddy? x

#3 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:59 PM

Hi Cara,
She's a bit groggy and is still getting her bearings. I gave her a nice long bath but she hasn't moved about much. Hopefully she will be back to her normal self in the next few days. As you can imagine its such a relief to have her back safe and sound. Thanks for asking Cara. ;)
Kind Regards

#4 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:09 PM

yes I can Imagine you were all very pleased to see her.
this is the part I won't be looking forward to :(
Look forward to ome pics of the beautifull BillieJo when she's back to herself.
Did she lose much weight Freddy?
x

#5 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hey!! :D That's great news Freddy!

5 months is a long time to go without seeing her. Welcome up Billiejo. :wub:

Hope she is back to her usual self soon.

Paula x

#6 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

You wouldn't believe it Cara but I never weigh her when she comes out of hibernation. Maybe I should. As long as she's up and awake she's usually OK. Thanks for asking. ;)

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

Thanks for your kind wishes Paula. There much appreciated. style_emoticons/default/wink.gif
Freddy style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

#8 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

:blush:
Sorry I just thought it was the 'done thing' :blush:
I'd read somewhere that somebodies tort had lost no weight during hibernation so thought I'd ask ;)
As you said as long as she's up and awake that's the main thing :D x

#9 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

big chin tickle to sleepy head.. :wub:

what is her favourite treat Freddy? Do you spoil her a bit when she first wakes up?

Looking forward to hearing about her and seeing some pics... of course when she's fully awake and has a chance to get her face on etc.... ha ha

Jeanette x

#10 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

Not at all Cara. It's OK. It was a very good question to ask. Most people do weigh their torts both before ,during and after hibernation. As Billiejo is a big tortoise, weight has never really been a problem with her. I will try to post some pics of her as soon as I can. Take care Cara and thanks again for your interest in Billiejo. ;)
Kind Regards

#11 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:07 PM

good to hear shes out of hibernation , but ! , 5 months is far to long , as they get older a shorter time is far better , the uric acid levels must be through the roof after 5 months and whilst you have got away with it one year you wont !!, there is no where in the wild they would hibernate for more than 3 months. Please don't take this the wrong way !, i'm not trying to criticise how you keep your tortoise , reptiles carry bactirea in there blood , whilst young there able to keep these in check but as they get older during prolong hibernation there imune system is at there lowest , they struggle to cope and can find it harder to build up there imune system , you said quote ( she's abit groggy ). 8 weeks is more than enough for a older tortoise to cope with.

#12 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:05 AM

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your advice. I have been hibernating Billiejo for 5 months using the box method for the past 30 years and have never had a problem. Also, the advice according to this forum is that a tortoise over 6 years old can be hibernated for a maximum of 20 weeks. So there seems to be a lot of contradictory advice out there. I do understand what your saying about Billiejo's age and her uric acid levels so I think I may have to review the situation and her hibernation length. I've already cut it down by 4 weeks this year as she didn't eat too well over the summer and there was a bit of an upheavel moving house. Maybe I will cut it back more next year and make it a shorter hibernation, as you say this would allow her immune system to cope better. Thank you so much for your advice and please feel free to add more if you think it necessary. I realize you have a lot of experience and expertise in this area and I'm open to suggestions.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#13 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:00 AM

I'm pleased you took it the right way !, i have many old tortoise's the oldest being 92 years old , some of these old girls i now don't hibernate at all because the risk's are too high of them not bouncing back .

#14 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

I always seem to have a question! :blush:

Do you mean 'the uric acid levels must be through the roof' because urates are not passed?
Is the danger that this would form a stone or is it something different?

Paula x

#15 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hi Paula,
Maybe Chris can confirm this. But it is my understanding that if there are not enough fluid reserves in the bladder to buffer the production of uric acid this can lead to increased uric acid levels in the blood and eventual renal failure. Tortoises need immediate vetinary treatment when uric acid levels in the blood reach 500 umol/l. Levels of 5000 umol/l are fatal and can result in death. Hope this helps. Best of luck.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#16 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:44 PM

Paula x
uric acid is produced from the kidneys , to keep it simple , if the uric acid isn't flushed from the body regularly it hardens and produces kidney failure which in turn kills the animal

#17 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:16 PM

God, I am really worried now after reading thia as my earlier post on here was about Cola not producing urates!!! Do you suggest i take her to the vets, as it's been 2 weeks or more since I have seen any..

Thanks
Jeanette

#18 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

Hi Jeanette,
I don't think you need worry just yet. Uric acid can take months to build up to dangerously high levels. Also, it doesn't look like Cola is producing any at the moment. She could indeed be gravid again. As long as you are giving her water and she is being hydrated regularly with baths she should be OK. I would up her baths as this would help her to both pass urates and keep her hydrated at the same time. Hope this helps. Take care Jeanette.
Kind Regards
Freddy

#19 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

Thanks Jeanette,
She usually loves a little banana as a treat. I do spoil her rotten when she wakes up. I will post some pics soon, after she's powdered her nose!he!he!! Thanks for your nice comments. ;)
Kind Regards

#20 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:47 PM

Oh I see! Thanks for the info. We often read 'don't do' on the forums, the 'why not' is always useful to know. :D :rolleyes:

Paula x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users