Pregnant tortoise

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

Hi everyone I think my tortoise might be pregnant they mated a few weeks ago a few times and now she is eating alot more than she used to Herman the male is not eating no where near as much as her and she pushes him away from the food too. Could this be a sign of her being pregnant? I have bought a incubator just incase she does lay some eggs.
Any help would be great as never had any experience with this.

Sam rolleyes.gif

#2 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

Here is a couple of pics of Herman and Heidi sorry for all the questions but do you think their shells are ok? I have been reading about pyramiding shells I only got them just over a month ago and have changed the food to all weeds and changed their substraite to soil and sand.

Attached Files

#3 Guest_summer8507_*

Guest_summer8507_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:02 AM

No experience with this im afraid! only had our 5 month old tortie Rita since Jan.
But wanted to wish you the best and heres hoping shes preggers!! Lots of Luck, Keep us posted!
Gem xxx

#4 Guest_summer8507_*

Guest_summer8507_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:06 AM

Just saw the photos lovely torts btw! Their shell look slightly bumped but from what i know, once they have bumped up, that part cannot be reversed but you say youve changed their diet so that should help prevent any further pyramiding.
They look lovely xxx

#5 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hi Sam

I wouldn't worry too much about pyramiding, yours look fine and if you look at pics of my tort Cola, she has large bumps but this happened when she was a hatchling. Your's are both beautiful torts and obviously loved alot wub.gif

Can I ask how old they are? and do you know how much they weigh? As they have to be a certain weigh/size to breed..

You would know if she was pregnant as she would be acting really strange..

Pacing around constantly
Maybe not eating
Climbing everything in her path
Sometimes they can be aggressive to other torts too

If she is showing none of these signs then she probably isn't pregnant yet, or the eggs haven't developed, as they act like this shortly before they lay as they are looking for suitable nesting sites...

If he is pestering her constantly, eg biting her legs, you may need to separate them as this can be very stressful for the females

Good luck

Jeanette x

#6 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:32 PM

Hi guys cheers for the advice. We haven't had them
Long but she does seem to be acting differently than when we first got her. We havent weighed her yet was on
My list to do this weekend. They are both 5 hatched in 2006 we did measure them she is roughly 122mm but was hard to measure her properly as she was moving around. They mated a few times in a week when they were out of the tortoise table but when they are in the table they don't show signs of mating I have only seen him pester her a couple of times when they were mating.

Sam rolleyes.gif

#7 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (Sam-S @ Mar 18 2011, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
she is eating alot more than she used to Herman the male is not eating no where near as much as her and she pushes him away from the food too

Sam rolleyes.gif

Hi Sam,
Where as males can spend a lot of time mating, females usually spend their time eating . This is often a more general characteristic of the sexes. Of course she could indeed be pregnant and as Jeanette says there are certain behavioural changes to watch out for. Hope this helps. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

#8 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (Freddy McGavin @ Mar 18 2011, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sam,
Where as males can spend a lot of time mating, females usually spend their time eating . This is often a more general characteristic of the sexes. Of course she could indeed be pregnant and as Jeanette says there are certain behavioural changes to watch out for. Hope this helps. Best of luck. wink.gif
Kind Regards
Freddy biggrin.gif

Freddy! what are you saying?? are you suggesting all us women do is eat?? laugh.gif laugh.gif I'm sure you are correct about the male species, given half the chance... ha ha x

#9 Guest_Sam-S_*

Guest_Sam-S_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

Hahaha. tongue.gif tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users