Weeds

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:03 PM

A gardener I am not it seems! lol

I bought some dried weeds and seeds (weeds) off the intenet. Wotsit doesn't seem all that impressed with the dried weeds and I sowed the seeds in small propagators in the kitchen. Some did sprout but it's been weeks now and nothing since. I thought weeds were hard to kill or get rid of...what's gone wrong?

I didn't grown them outside as thought it too cold at the time.

Any advice?

#2 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

How often are you watering them? x

#3 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:55 PM

Not daily I must admit but was told that was the beauty of growing weeds i.e. they don't need much looking after. I've grown veggies before but never flowers let alone weeds.

#4 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

QUOTE (Wotsit @ Mar 18 2011, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not daily I must admit but was told that was the beauty of growing weeds i.e. they don't need much looking after. I've grown veggies before but never flowers let alone weeds.

I water mine every 2-3 days so start and then every 4-7 days rolleyes.gif they were growing nicely till the snow killed them sad.gif just started growing some more x

#5 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

I think I'll have to try again with a new lot. Do you think I should grow outdoors from the off or indoors and either way shall I put the lid on the propagator? I was well looking forward to seeing what was made of weeds for dinner! lol xx

#6 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (Wotsit @ Mar 18 2011, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think I'll have to try again with a new lot. Do you think I should grow outdoors from the off or indoors and either way shall I put the lid on the propagator? I was well looking forward to seeing what was made of weeds for dinner! lol xx

I'm not sure to be honest, I grow mine outdoors in a mini greenhouse thing... blink.gif
Maybe put them outdoors on sunny days unsure.gif
I squirt the soil at first with a squirty water bottle.
Do you have any pics they may be growing as they should be, sometimes they can be a bit slow to start wink.gif you could just add some more seeds to what you already have growing?
x

#7 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:15 PM

lol Trust me they have ahd long enough...they sprouted and all was fine until I put them outside. I'll start again. Wotsit wasn't impressed with the dried Calendula or Rose Petals but with regards to growing weeds - I went for a feast of:

Dandelion
Evening Primrose
Hedge Mustard
Prickly Sow
Self Heal
White Clover
Forget-Me-Nots
Chicory
Boarage
White Lettuce

Is this list ok do you think? Does Roxy and Indie like dried weeds? xx

#8 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE (Wotsit @ Mar 18 2011, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol Trust me they have ahd long enough...they sprouted and all was fine until I put them outside. I'll start again. Wotsit wasn't impressed with the dried Calendula or Rose Petals but with regards to growing weeds - I went for a feast of:

Dandelion
Evening Primrose
Hedge Mustard
Prickly Sow
Self Heal
White Clover
Forget-Me-Nots
Chicory
Boarage
White Lettuce

Is this list ok do you think? Does Roxy and Indie like dried weeds? xx

Nice veriety wink.gif think I've given you this link before? http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/
No Roxy and Indie ain't lovers of dried weeds although if I sprinkle them over some wet salad they will eat it wink.gif
I've just started growing
PLANTAIN MIX
RIBWORT PLANTAIN
MILK THISTLE
COMMON MALLOW
LAVATERA
MARSH MALLOW
PRICKLY SOW THISTLE
PANSY
PETUNIA
and a winter seed mix which contains
COMMON VETCH
CRIMSON CLOVER
MILK THISTLE
RIBWORT PLANTAIN
HOARY PLANTAIN
RED CLOVER

Will be glad when they are grown lol

x

#9 Guest_Hettie_*

Guest_Hettie_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

I thought I read that Borage was not a suitable torty food. wacko.gif

http://www.thetortoi...l...n&catID=450

There is so much conflicting advice out there, doesn't it just drive you mad!!

Paula x

#10 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (miller07 @ Mar 18 2011, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice veriety wink.gif think I've given you this link before? http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/
No Roxy and Indie ain't lovers of dried weeds although if I sprinkle them over some wet salad they will eat it wink.gif
I've just started growing
PLANTAIN MIX
RIBWORT PLANTAIN
MILK THISTLE
COMMON MALLOW
LAVATERA
MARSH MALLOW
PRICKLY SOW THISTLE
PANSY
PETUNIA
and a winter seed mix which contains
COMMON VETCH
CRIMSON CLOVER
MILK THISTLE
RIBWORT PLANTAIN
HOARY PLANTAIN
RED CLOVER

Will be glad when they are grown lol

x

#11 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

Great list too! I do that with the dried weeds too lol

#12 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Hettie @ Mar 18 2011, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought I read that Borage was not a suitable torty food. wacko.gif

http://www.thetortoi...l...n&catID=450

There is so much conflicting advice out there, doesn't it just drive you mad!!

Paula x

O no! Thanks for that, loads of conflicting advice as you say. I can't recall off the top of my head which site I purchased the weeds from but they were listed as all ok for torts :-(
x

#13 Guest_Pat_*

Guest_Pat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:28 PM

Hi wotsit

I was the same as you, electric propogator, fourescent daylight bulbs hanging over them and great expectations. But after a couple of promising sprouting.... nothing. Then they withered and died! I am sure the police helicopter flew over on a regular basis thinking I was growing something illegal! laugh.gif

Anyway, I now by plug plants and weeds grown in pots from naturescape in Nottingham (they have a good website) They get planted in their outdoor garden when I get them and break some off when I need them. I have found the only thing I can grow in their table is pansies.

I have heard that weeds thrive on neglect and I am sure some people are luckier than others. I have a long thin trowel which I take on walks for torty food, I try to get as much root as possible, pop them in a plastic bag and repot them when I get home.

Pat

#14 Guest_BeatBeat_*

Guest_BeatBeat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

Popped my seeds in a pot on the kitchen windowsill. Shot up like billyho. Torts love them. I must get some more sown. Might try them outside int he new cold frame I've got.

#15 Guest_miller07_*

Guest_miller07_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Pat @ Mar 19 2011, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi wotsit

I was the same as you, electric propogator, fourescent daylight bulbs hanging over them and great expectations. But after a couple of promising sprouting.... nothing. Then they withered and died! I am sure the police helicopter flew over on a regular basis thinking I was growing something illegal! laugh.gif

Anyway, I now by plug plants and weeds grown in pots from naturescape in Nottingham (they have a good website) They get planted in their outdoor garden when I get them and break some off when I need them. I have found the only thing I can grow in their table is pansies.

I have heard that weeds thrive on neglect and I am sure some people are luckier than others. I have a long thin trowel which I take on walks for torty food, I try to get as much root as possible, pop them in a plastic bag and repot them when I get home.

Pat

http://www.naturesca.../plantsall.html
is this the place Pat? x

#16 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

Thanks all!

I have heard how weeds thrive on neglect too. I'll try again though...second time lucky maybe?? x

#17 Guest_Wotsit_*

Guest_Wotsit_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

My friend has an allotment and gave me some weeds :-) I must say Wotsit seemed to prefer the lettuce mix but didn't do too bad...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users