Outdoor heating

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_frenchypompom_*

Guest_frenchypompom_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been around for a while, what with winter and life lol... But I a now starting to sort out a proper outdoor run for my babies and was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the heating situation when outside.

Silly I know, but do u just set it up same as inside and plug it into ur main in your home... Not sure how that would work but will look into it. Or do you get some kind of a generator?
I'm off shopping for their new set up and can't wait to be able to bring them outside. Is there a specific time, or does it just depends on the weather?

Thanks for ur input.
Happy Tort watching and keeping
Carine

#2 Guest_BeatBeat_*

Guest_BeatBeat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Good question. I'll be intersted to see what replies you get. I'm in a similar situation though I'm planning to set my enclosure up next to the garage and I have an outside electricity point so not problems there just need to check out what I get and how I set it up.

BeatBeat

#3 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:48 PM

BeatBeat
I'm not really sure what you mean , if your asking how to heat tortoise's whilst outside , the safest way is to use Halogen lamps , which are water proof.

#4 Guest_BeatBeat_*

Guest_BeatBeat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:01 PM

Sorry, poor typing on my part!

These are my first torts (2x 8 month Hermanns) I want to create an outdoor enclosure for them. Originally I was thinking of putting them out during the day and bringing them in at night (returning them to their table) but I have read that this could be stressful for them and they would be better being left out all summer so I assume they will need some form of heating just incase it gets cold. Is this correct?

I have a small cold frame I thought I could use (lifting it to make it taller in order to accommodate the lamp) for a warm dry spot/come hide. I thought I'd go for something about 6foot x 3 foot. Would they be OK for them do you think?

#5 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:50 AM

Hold on !!, 8 month old ?, at that age they should go out on nice days in a small table with netting over them to stop the crows , magpies etc , there far to young to be left out in are climate 24/7

#6 Guest_BeatBeat_*

Guest_BeatBeat_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

Thanks Chris. That was my original plan, but then I read that putting them in and out would be stressful for theml. So I was thinking I would need to set something up for them to stay in during the summer (I had planned to have a mess lid on it to protect them from birds, foxes, cats etc).

If they were in there 24/7 I was thinking that I would need to provide them with a place that was warm and dry as well as something open to the elements. It was inside the enclose that I was thinking I would provide additional heating if needed (Enclosure would been a small cold frame (3ft x 2ft)

So you think I should go back to plan A i.e. keep my tort table set up and only put them outside (in a secure enclosure, like a rabbit run) when the weather is good?

Sorry Carine I've hijacked your post, but perhaps this is also helping you too.

#7 Guest_brontie1328_*

Guest_brontie1328_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2011 - 09:55 PM

ok i understand now , i would say you would be better to have a table outside covered with a wire top , the problem with very small tortoise's is because of there size they over heat and cool down quickly and find it harder to regulate there core temp , so you would need to find somewhere thats not in full sun but not totally in the shade. I would keep them inside and just put out on nice days until there a bit bigger, hope this helps.

#8 Guest_Ozric_*

Guest_Ozric_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:10 PM

I agree with Chris that its not so easy to keep very small tortoises safe and warm enough outside on a 24/7 basis. A coldframe can work well and is a big help but its not always possible to use additional heat and light in them safely depending what kind of coldframe it is. Even a coldframe can get far too hot in direct sunlight and the tortoises must always be able to escape the direct sun.

People have different views about nighttime temps but I think with tortoises that size they would need extra warmth at night which would need to be on a thermostat.

It can be done but with tortoises that size I think they will be better off indoors unless you invested really a lot of time and money on outdoor facilities, if the aim was to have the outside all summer.

It's correct it can seem to wake them up if we bring them indoors at say six o'clock, if we bring them into a warmer place. I don't know what the answer to that is, except bring them in earlier!

#9 Guest_BeatBeat_*

Guest_BeatBeat_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Chris and Ozric, for your replies. They are both very useful and actually puts my mind at rest too.

#10 Guest_frenchypompom_*

Guest_frenchypompom_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

No worries, any info regarding keeping my babies is helpful.
I've been reading up and I think you should look at this website which mention wether to leave them outside at night, espetially juvenials like yours or mine:
http://www.tortoisec...g tortoises.htm

I can't bring myself to leave them outside by themselves all dya AND night so will be bringing mine in at night.

#11 Guest_Freddy McGavin_*

Guest_Freddy McGavin_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

When you bring your torts indoors in the evening an idea might be to put them in a cooler room. Generally speaking torts don't need any additional heat and light when indoors at night, especially during the summertime. Hope this helps. ;)
Kind Regards
Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users