Preganant

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_akaha_*

Guest_akaha_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:56 PM

hi
i wonder is someone could tell me how long a tortoise is pregant for, Hatty is showing signs of pregancy, climbing over everything is sight, and very restless, should i take her out of her normal enclosure with her mate or is it ok to leave her in with him.

#2 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

Hi

She is restless and pacing alot as she seems ready to lay her eggs very soon and is looking for a suitable place to lay her eggs, this can go on for a few days. I would separate her from the male and ensure you provide a suitable nesting site for her. This has to be deep soil ( as deep as she is in length) that is moist enough to make a nest ( abit like how sand has to be to make a sandcastle) and it has to be under a heat source. She will hopefully attempt to build a nest..

How exciting for you, this is a magical experience so enjoy! Do you have an incubator set up ready?

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask

Jeanette

#3 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (JEANETTE @ Mar 20 2011, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi

She is restless and pacing alot as she seems ready to lay her eggs very soon and is looking for a suitable place to lay her eggs, this can go on for a few days. I would separate her from the male and ensure you provide a suitable nesting site for her. This has to be deep soil ( as deep as she is in length) that is moist enough to make a nest ( abit like how sand has to be to make a sandcastle) and it has to be under a heat source. She will hopefully attempt to build a nest..

How exciting for you, this is a magical experience so enjoy! Do you have an incubator set up ready?

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask

Jeanette

forgot to actually answer your question... there is no set time like humans but to give you a guide.. cola laid eggs on 20th december and again on 11th feb.. so just under 8 weeks, but like i say it depends on the tort..

#4 Guest_akaha_*

Guest_akaha_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:29 PM

very excited but no incubator yet, looking on line to find out what to do, truthfully i never thought mine would breed, just thinking where to get a Polystyrene box with lid, heat mat no probs, i will pop to the pet shop tomorrow.

Any advise is appreciated

#5 Guest_JEANETTE_*

Guest_JEANETTE_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:17 PM

I thought about making one but instead I bought one http://www.surreypet...-incubator.html It is really good at regulating the temps etc.

Good luck and please you must let us know when she starts digging a nest..

Jeanette

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users